Need more protein...low calorie food/snack ideas?

Options
I very rarely meet my daily protein goals. Not a big meat eater...and other than eggs I’m struggling at finding good low calorie options to get my protein. Yogurt and nuts are good, but often quite high in calories and don’t really do anything for me. Looking for some low calorie protein rich food/snack ideas :)

Replies

• jasonpoihegatama
    jasonpoihegatama Posts: 496 Member
    Options
    fish or protein shake maybe
  • spoiltbeauty
    spoiltbeauty Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I very rarely meet my daily protein goals. Not a big meat eater...and other than eggs I’m struggling at finding good low calorie options to get my protein. Yogurt and nuts are good, but often quite high in calories and don’t really do anything for me. Looking for some low calorie protein rich food/snack ideas :)

• spoiltbeauty
    spoiltbeauty Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Pulsin pea protein will help. It’s a powder you can add to soups shakes etc. A 10 g serving (1 heaped dessertspoon) provides 8g of protein.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,922 Member
    Options
    When you say 'meat', does that include chicken?

If so, then cottage cheese, fish, protein powder.
  • Lastrodeo
    Lastrodeo Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I don't eat meat or fish either so what I've been doing is trying to add more protein to meals - eggs, cheese, peas, pulses, etc. For snacks I found little snacks of nuts and seeds in my local Lidl - 134kcal for a 28g snack pack of edamame beans, chickpeas & cashews with 8.5g protein.
  • Je55ica_79
    Je55ica_79 Posts: 277 Member
    Options
    Non-fat Greek yogurt has protein at 48% of calories. One 6-ounce (170-gram) container has 17 grams of protein, with only 100 calories, choose one without added sugar. Full-fat Greek yogurt is also very high in protein, but contains more calories.

You could add PB2 to the plain greak yogurt it would add 45 cals but 5 more grams of protein. Or make it into a smoothie.

Broccoli has 4.2 grams of protein per serving
    1 cup of Peas 8 grams 118 cals
    1 cup of lentils 18 grams 230 cals
    Half a cup of tofu 10grams 94 cals depending on how you prepared it.

Shrimp 24 gram 99 cals
    Tuna 22 grams 100cals

• anyWendy
    anyWendy Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    Light mozzarella string cheese is my go to for a quick 10-12g protein/100cal (in 2 sticks)
  • kimny72
    kimny72 Posts: 16,013 Member
    Options
    Low fat greek yogurt, cottage cheese, lentils, canned tuna, tofu, edamame, protein powder.
  • dillianavramov
    dillianavramov Posts: 19 Member
    edited January 2019
    Options
    Hemp hearts, sardines, whey isolate protein, egg whites
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,267 Member
    Options
    Take a look at the thread linked below. It links to a spreadsheet that lists many, many foods in order by by protein efficiency: Most protein for fewest calories. Find foods you like on the spreadsheet, eat more of those, less of something that isn't as helpful in meeting your goals.

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10247171/carbs-and-fats-are-cheap-heres-a-guide-to-getting-your-proteins-worth-fiber-also
  • zeejane03
    zeejane03 Posts: 993 Member
    Options
    Low fat Greek yogurt is usually between 80-100 calories per serving container and is higher protein (off the top of my head I think around 14g).
  • nooshi713
    nooshi713 Posts: 4,877 Member
    Options
    Siggis skyr yogurts are low cal and high protein. Also, protein shakes with almond milk, turkey jerky, edamame, turkey roll ups.
  • peppermintcaroline
    peppermintcaroline Posts: 151 Member
    Options
    Siggi's nonfat yogurt has 22 grams protein for 140 calories. I put it in smoothies, use it instead of sour cream, mix it with fruit

Tempeh is good to add to salads, stir fried, etc

Quinoa, black beans, chickpeas. None of them are my favorite but i will put them in salads or bowl mixes to add protein.
  • Dilvish
    Dilvish Posts: 398 Member
    Options
    Yup. there is a type of plain yogurt (no sugar added) called SKYR. The 2%MF version (Liberte) is 130 calories for 2/3 of a cup and is a whopping 21g of protein.

1 can of tuna (3 oz.) has up to 42g of protein and only 130 calories, but you should only eat about 2 cans per week due to mercury levels.

Raw, unsalted pumpkin seeds have 16g of protein per 1/4 cup at only 170 cal. they taste great mixed with some blackberries/raspberries in the SKYR yogurt!

If protein is your goal and your carb intake is well below 130g per day, then initially the amount of calories won't matter...your body will burn fat stores because it is getting little or no carbs for fuel. That's KETO.