• Teabythesea_
    Teabythesea_ Posts: 559 Member
    Options
    davani09 wrote: »
    musicfan68 wrote: »
    I'm sorry you feel so demotivated, but going to 1200 calories is just a recipe for disaster. Men shouldn't go under 1500 calories anyway. At your weight you can lose 2-3 lbs a week eating much more than that. 27 lbs in 2 months is extremely fast. You need to slow down or you will crash and burn, and eating so few calories will cause you to binge because you will find it too hard to eat that low, and you shouldn't eat that low. You didn't put the weight on in a few months, so it won't come off in a few months. As a lot of people say here, it's not a sprint, it's a marathon. You will be ok and get where you want to be by losing a sensible amount of weight each week (2-3 at your current weight), and not way under eating.

How come dr now on 600lb life tells his patients to eat a 1200 calorie diet then?

Because that person is under a doctor's care and the doctor is responsible if something happens. Are you under a doctor's care? No? Then do what people are recommending. Or, go see a doctor and have them monitor you. It takes time to lose weight and learn new, good habits. Read the success forums on here. Some have lost 300 lbs.

I did see my doctor and told her what I’m doing and she said it’s fine. 1200cals is fine when you’re sedentary and when you weigh over 400lbs. When I work out again I’ll increase. But I need to meet my goal by the time I’m 30.

Why, what happens when you're 30?

It’s my personal goal. I’m going to meet it.

No offense or anything, but when your personal goals result in the potential for bodily harm, I think it's time to reassess. Goal setting is only useful if they are realistic. You should not be basing decisions that impact your health and expectations off of a TV show. Most doctors don't know a lick about nutrition unless they have been trained specifically in that field. 1200 calories a day is not okay. You need fuel for your muscles which are already working harder because of the extra weight.

I don’t think it’s going to hurt me to lose all the weight I need to lose in 3 years. That’s a reasonable goal.

But what you're doing and what you're saying you want to do are different things. Losing 300 lbs in 3 years (about 2 lb loss per week) is drastically different than your current loss of 27 lbs in 2 months and an even further reduction of calories to increase that amount.
  • MichelleSilverleaf
    MichelleSilverleaf Posts: 2,028 Member
    Options
    I'm sorry you feel so demotivated, but going to 1200 calories is just a recipe for disaster. Men shouldn't go under 1500 calories anyway. At your weight you can lose 2-3 lbs a week eating much more than that. 27 lbs in 2 months is extremely fast. You need to slow down or you will crash and burn, and eating so few calories will cause you to binge because you will find it too hard to eat that low, and you shouldn't eat that low. You didn't put the weight on in a few months, so it won't come off in a few months. As a lot of people say here, it's not a sprint, it's a marathon. You will be ok and get where you want to be by losing a sensible amount of weight each week (2-3 at your current weight), and not way under eating.

How come dr now on 600lb life tells his patients to eat a 1200 calorie diet then?

Because that person is under a doctor's care and the doctor is responsible if something happens. Are you under a doctor's care? No? Then do what people are recommending. Or, go see a doctor and have them monitor you. It takes time to lose weight and learn new, good habits. Read the success forums on here. Some have lost 300 lbs.

I did see my doctor and told her what I’m doing and she said it’s fine. 1200cals is fine when you’re sedentary and when you weigh over 400lbs. When I work out again I’ll increase. But I need to meet my goal by the time I’m 30.

General doctors do not have nearly enough education to be giving nutrition advice, and the only kind of advice they SHOULD be giving is a recommendation to a dietician. You are not in the same situation as those people on that show, who have to lose a lot of weight in a VERY short period of time for surgery. It's entirely different when you're doing it on your own. Too fast even at your weight will still result in muscle loss (which is not good), your body not getting enough nutrients (also not good) and the possibility of more loose skin than if you paced yourself and your skin had at least some chance to try and shrink with your weight. You either want fast or healthy, you can't have both.
  • tattoomary
    tattoomary Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    Be careful. I weight 170lb and am on 1200 cals a day...and I find it tough :/ I get tired and cranky and can have no energy and be hangery !

People here have your back...they are here to support you, not out to get you ! Take their advice on board. Best of luck.
  • nutmegoreo
    nutmegoreo Posts: 15,532 Member
    Options
    Some inspirational stories:

https://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10394510/the-ultimate-success-stories-guide/p1

Please do consider what people are saying about your calorie goal. There are several people here who didn't listen to the sage advice, chose to lose very quickly, and regret their results. There are some very real long-term health consequences of rapid weight loss (which is typically correlated with malnutrition due to the low intake). Yes, there are health consequences of remaining at your current weight as well, so there needs to be a balance. It would be a good idea to have your doctor regularly monitor you through this process. A referral to a registered dietician would also be a good step.

You can do this, and I understand your desire to be done with it yesterday. It will be a process, but it can be done. Consider what you want that end result to look like.
  • davani09
    davani09 Posts: 43 Member
    Options

Your doctor saying what you're doing is fine is not monitoring you. Do you come in once a week and talk to her, get your blood pressure checked, have you had blood work done? Is she responsible if something goes wrong with this low calorie diet?

no, I don't see her once a week. she's not monitoring me.
  • davani09
    Options
    nutmegoreo wrote: »

https://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10394510/the-ultimate-success-stories-guide/p1

Please do consider what people are saying about your calorie goal. There are several people here who didn't listen to the sage advice, chose to lose very quickly, and regret their results. There are some very real long-term health consequences of rapid weight loss (which is typically correlated with malnutrition due to the low intake). Yes, there are health consequences of remaining at your current weight as well, so there needs to be a balance. It would be a good idea to have your doctor regularly monitor you through this process. A referral to a registered dietician would also be a good step.

You can do this, and I understand your desire to be done with it yesterday. It will be a process, but it can be done. Consider what you want that end result to look like.

my insurance does not cover dieticians or nutritionists. it doesn't even cover bariatric either.
  • jennifer_417
    jennifer_417 Posts: 12,344 Member
    Options
    You can absolutely do this. All you have to do is not quit.
  • amandaeve
    amandaeve Posts: 723 Member
    Options
    AnnPT77 wrote: »
    Chairs are not a device for measuring human worth.

(I saw a tiny 110 pound woman break a chair once, and it didn't make me think less of her as a person. It wouldn't make me think less of you, either. Sometimes chairs break.)

Your determination to become healthier is an admirable thing. I applaud you!

Please be sensible, not too extreme, as you continue, so that you stay strong, healthy and energetic all the way along the path. Follow sound advice from real world medical experts, and from others who've successfully lost large amounts of weight and kept it off.

I look forward to reading about you in the Success Stories forum some day. Best wishes!

YOU.GOT.THIS.

I second the above comment. One day at a time. Do what works for YOU. Pay more attention to YOU than what people tell you.

I've done a million embarrassing things in public...one time I took an orange out of one of those giant orange pyramids in the grocery store and the whole pile of oranges rolled all over the place. My mom is disabled and uses a power chair. She hit the reverse button when she wanted to hit the forward button in the grocery store and crashed into an end cap of wine bottles. Wine bottles went crashing down everywhere, breaking and spilling and making a lot of noise. It was embarrassing, but these things happen to everyone. A year from now you'll laugh about it. We did. It was bad wine anyway. :)
  • nutmegoreo
    nutmegoreo Posts: 15,532 Member
    Options

my insurance does not cover dieticians or nutritionists. it doesn't even cover bariatric either.

Well that sucks. You can still do it though. There is a lot of great information already here. Start with doing some reading, and make some notes on how you are feeling day to day. Protein, fat, and fibre are important for many body processes, so it's worth thinking of them as minimums, rather than upper limits. If you have a bad day (and many of us do) make some notes on what you think might have contributed. Have you been under goal in the days/weeks prior? Has your protein/fat been low in the days/weeks prior? Are you feeling hungry more? Have you been struggling emotionally? Those types of things. Then look for patterns. The Beck Diet Solution is a good read (CBT approach, not a specific diet). Geneen Roth has some great books on emotions and eating.

For threads here that are worth reading:

https://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10300331/most-helpful-posts-getting-started-must-reads

https://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10300319/most-helpful-posts-general-health-fitness-and-diet-must-reads

If you have questions or need support, just reach out. I know it seems daunting, but break it down into smaller goals, and take steps to reach that next goal, then the next. You can do it.
    12774 Posts: 1,416 Member
    Options
    1200 calories is definitely not adequate. If possible , you should be seeing a nutritionist in addition to your private MD for nutritional guidance . Your friends here on MFP will be here to cheer you all the way.
  • davani09
    edited January 2019
    Options
    12774 wrote: »
    1200 calories is definitely not adequate. If possible , you should be seeing a nutritionist in addition to your private MD for nutritional guidance . Your friends here on MFP will be here to cheer you all the way.

my insurance does not cover a nutritionist also I increased it to 1500
  • Fatty_Nuff
    Fatty_Nuff Posts: 273 Member
    Options
    my insurance does not cover a nutritionist also I increased it to 1500
    I would call my insurance carrier about that. "Nutritionist" can mean just about anything. I would ask them if my policy covers consultation with a Registered Dietitian, through your Doctor's referral.