Calorie deficit

Options
So my calorie deficit has dropped down to 1,260 to loose 2 pounds a week and eating this much wouldn’t really keep me full plus i try to avoid using my excercise and activity calories which gives me 400 extra calories. Should i eat some of these extra calories to keep my self fuller ?

Replies

• NovusDies
    NovusDies Posts: 8,940 Member
    Options
    If you are set to lose 2 lbs per week and you ignore an additional 400 calories per day that you should be eating at least half of you should be losing around 2.5 lbs per week which is likely too aggressive. Chances are 2 lbs per week is too aggressive too. How much do you have left to lose?
  • Ashlove5
    Ashlove5 Posts: 152 Member
    Options
    NovusDies wrote: »
    If you are set to lose 2 lbs per week and you ignore an additional 400 calories per day that you should be eating at least half of you should be losing around 2.5 lbs per week which is likely too aggressive. Chances are 2 lbs per week is too aggressive too. How much do you have left to lose?
    I weight around 184 i think and I’m tryna get down to 138 and my height is 5’5

• Running2Fit
    Running2Fit Posts: 702 Member
    edited January 2019
    Options
    ashsabiha wrote: »
    Yes, you should eat back your exercise calories. 1200 calories is the minimum calorie in-take for females. So you need to net above 1200 just to meet your basic nutritional needs. MFP is giving you 1260 as what you need to eat to lose 2 lbs a week, the 400 exercise calories you have create an even bigger (and generally unhealthy) deficit. Eating them back will not prevent you from losing weight.

You may also want to consider setting a less aggressive goal. Getting to your goal weight faster sounds great but if you get there in a way that isn't sustainable then you are just going to gain the weight back. Losing more slowly but in a more sustainable way sets you up for long term success.
    Sometimes people on this site say eating back those calories can make them gain weight or sometimes the calories MyFitnessPal gives are inaccurate

There can be a process of trial and error figuring out how accurate (or inaccurate) MFP's calories are. But if you are exercising, especially with such a low calorie goal, then you need to eat back the calories you burned. But even if you ate back all 400 calories you would absolutely not gain weight, even if MFP is wrong because eating 1260 puts you into a 1000 calorie deficit. It would just slow your weight loss, which as I explained in my first post probably isn't a bad thing.
  • Ashlove5
    edited January 2019
    Options
    Yes, you should eat back your exercise calories. 1200 calories is the minimum calorie in-take for females. So you need to net above 1200 just to meet your basic nutritional needs. MFP is giving you 1260 as what you need to eat to lose 2 lbs a week, the 400 exercise calories you have create an even bigger (and generally unhealthy) deficit. Eating them back will not prevent you from losing weight.

You may also want to consider setting a less aggressive goal. Getting to your goal weight faster sounds great but if you get there in a way that isn't sustainable then you are just going to gain the weight back. Losing more slowly but in a more sustainable way sets you up for long term success.
    Sometimes people on this site say eating back those calories can make them gain weight or sometimes the calories MyFitnessPal gives are inaccurate

There can be a process of trial and error figuring out how accurate (or inaccurate) MFP's calories are. But if you are exercising, especially with such a low calorie goal, then you need to eat back the calories you burned. But even if you ate back all 400 calories you would absolutely not gain weight, even if MFP is wrong because eating 1260 puts you into a 1000 calorie deficit. It would just slow your weight loss, which as I explained in my first post probably isn't a bad thing.
    Thank you for the positive advice ❤️❤️

• witchaywoman81
    witchaywoman81 Posts: 280 Member
    edited January 2019
    Options
    So my calorie deficit has dropped down to 1,260 to loose 2 pounds a week and eating this much wouldn’t really keep me full plus i try to avoid using my excercise and activity calories which gives me 400 extra calories. Should i eat some of these extra calories to keep my self fuller ?

Just to be clear, 1260 isn’t your deficit, it’s the calories you need to put you in a 1000 calorie deficit per day (which is your deficit if you chose losing 2 lbs/week).

What are your stats (height, weight, weight goal)? As someone else mentioned above, you might want to change your goal to losing 1.5 lbs or even a pound to give you some extra calories. And yes, definitely eat those exercise calories. Mfp is designed for you to eat them.
  • witchaywoman81
    witchaywoman81 Posts: 280 Member
    Options

Ah, apologies, I missed this before I posted above. Then, yes, I would definitely say to decrease your deficit to 1.5 or even 1 pound/week.

• JeromeBarry1
    JeromeBarry1 Posts: 10,182 Member
    Options
    Enjoy living. Eat your exercise calories.

Consider changing your weight loss goal to losing 1 or 1.5 lb per week.

That way you get to enjoy living even more.
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,325 Member
    Options

I started at your height and similar weight (183) . . . and 59 years old.

When I started,1200 calories was too low for me, even when I ate back my exercise calories (all of them). I admit that I'm mysteriously good at burning calories for a woman my age, but even so, I'd encourage you to at least eat back a substantial portion of your exercise calories for 4-6 weeks.

Two pounds a week is a risky loss rate at your current weight anyway. It would be reasonable to go slower. It took me less than a year to get down to my current weight (I was 135 pounds this morning - I've been maintaining a healthy weight for about 3 years now, currently age 63). I accidentally lost too fast briefly (around that 2 pounds a week level) because MFP underestimated my calorie needs. I got weak and fatigued, and even though I corrected very quickly, it took several weeks to recover. You don't want that.

Losing more slowly would be a more reasonable thing, in terms of health risks, and it would be more sustainable (thus more likely to be successful).

One way or another, it would be a good plan to eat more, if you ask me.
  • Ashlove5
    Options
    AnnPT77 wrote: »

I started at your height and similar weight (183) . . . and 59 years old.

When I started,1200 calories was too low for me, even when I ate back my exercise calories (all of them). I admit that I'm mysteriously good at burning calories for a woman my age, but even so, I'd encourage you to at least eat back a substantial portion of your exercise calories for 4-6 weeks.

Two pounds a week is a risky loss rate at your current weight anyway. It would be reasonable to go slower. It took me less than a year to get down to my current weight (I was 135 pounds this morning - I've been maintaining a healthy weight for about 3 years now, currently age 63). I accidentally lost too fast briefly (around that 2 pounds a week level) because MFP underestimated my calorie needs. I got weak and fatigued, and even though I corrected very quickly, it took several weeks to recover. You don't want that.

Losing more slowly would be a more reasonable thing, in terms of health risks, and it would be more sustainable (thus more likely to be successful).

One way or another, it would be a good plan to eat more, if you ask me.
    I was going to wait till i was Atleast 170 to lower my weight loss pace but 1.5 pounds a week seems like a good pace thank you !

• Ashlove5
    Options
    Enjoy living. Eat your exercise calories.

Consider changing your weight loss goal to losing 1 or 1.5 lb per week.

That way you get to enjoy living even more.
    I love the way you think !

• Ashlove5
    Options

Ah, apologies, I missed this before I posted above. Then, yes, I would definitely say to decrease your deficit to 1.5 or even 1 pound/week.
    Thank you for the advice !! ❤️