MCT Oils

Options
New to Keto and looking for feedback regarding MCT oils. Is it worth it? I tried it for 2 days, and on day 2 I got all the side effects that were noted on the bottle. The directions state to start with one tablespoon and gradually 2 tablespoons. I started with the 1 tbsp was that too much??? Thoughts?

Replies

• Hulbert0089
    Hulbert0089 Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    I bought a bottle a while back and didn't notice much if anything. Eventually didn't feel like consuming 250 calories for 2 TBS daily.
  • marissacarman
    marissacarman Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I am new to fasting and also to MCT oil but I will share my experience with you. First off make sure your MCT oil only is made with coconut oil and doesn't have any other added ingredients or derived from something other then coconut oil. Second you should start at 1 tsp not one 1bsp as I was told then you will have the increased side effects. I did 1tsp for 2 days then 2 tsp for 2 more days and by day 5 i was up to 1tbsp which is where i will stay. Like I said i am still relatively new however this worked great for me and no side effects other then not being hungry for my 16 hour fast. Hope this helps!
  • JeromeBarry1
    JeromeBarry1 Posts: 10,182 Member
    Options
    I bought a pint of expensive MCT oil Saturday only because a jar of expensive keto creamer was not available.
    I am not presently suffering from Alzheimer's so I have no clear reason to extoll the benefits of MCT oil. I was unfamiliar with the texture of such oil in my coffee and did not approve of 15 g MCT with 15g heavy cream in coffee yesterday. Today I tried it with 10 g MCT and 15 g heavy cream. That was better.

Before launching my keto project last week I first read Dr. Annette Bosworth's book, "Any Way You Can", in which she recommends MCT oil, sardines in oil, liverwurst, and muffalotta something or other. I find the sardines unobjectionable straight from the can. I have not been able to find liverwurst. I haven't tried to find that other stuff. The liverwurst, by the way, is her special recommendation for women on keto as fertile women have higher iron needs.
  • jafinnearty
    jafinnearty Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    I bought a bottle this weekend because *so* many sites and apps, and other miscellaneous places I've researched all state that MCT oil *can* help in losing weight when on Keto. I haven't tried it yet because the possible side effects scare me. That and the fact that this may not help at *all* and I just wasted $14 on this bottle of MCT oil!
  • Emmapatterson1729
    Emmapatterson1729 Posts: 1,296 Member
    edited August 2019
    Options
    I've been eating Keto for just over 2 months (due to a carb sensitivity). I have had successful weight drop and inches lost.

I have yet to pay for anything expensive or marketed towards keto.

No need to pay for expensive products to lose weight.

Ketosis is simply cutting starchy carbs, sugars and foods known to cause inflammation (for certain health problems). And upping fats or proteins to make up the calories. There are no miracle products.

I eat veggies, fruits, and meats. Then fill in calories with olive oil and dairy. Basically cook in olive oil and add cheese and/or creams.

Keto is a lot simpler than the internet makes it out to be.

If trying to eat keto, I recommend the groups Low Carber Daily Forum group and The Keto group.