Poll: Treadmill or Elliptical For Your Cardio?

Options
2»

Replies

• Mireille
    Mireille Posts: 5,134 Member
    Options
    Well, I used to use to do the Elliptical (I have a proteus) and I would use different settings. Then, I started the gym and I would run on the treadmill between 5.5 and 6 miles an hour on 0 incline. I'm having some feet issue so right now I'm addicted to the Stair Master.

Running used to be my calorie burner but now the Stair Master is doing it for me and it's much easier on my feet. Currently I'm doing 40 minutes, the first 20 on level 7, then the next 15 minutes on level 9 and then the last 5 minutes are done on level 9. Total killer!!:flowerforyou:
  • jmagnesi
    Options
    a great place to find a good elliptical is on your local craigslist its crazy how many people are selling there gym equip for allmost nothing www.craigslist.com
  • Kimono
    Kimono Posts: 367
    Options
    Treadmill, about 35 miles a week. I start at 7 mph, sometimes I put some incline in it. I have a ifit card for my treadmill, it has really tough incline running workouts.
  • keiko
    keiko Posts: 2,919 Member
    Options
    Treadmill. 5 days a week, 45 min a day. Tue/Thur are walking at 1.5 incline at 3 & 4 mph. Walking fast then slow... This is 2.5 mi.
    MWF are run walk combos. It's different depending on how I feel. It's 3mi and could be running 2.5mi at 5mph walk the rest. Or it could be sprints running at 6 or 7mph.

As soon as spring comes I will be back outside. The treadmill is great for over the winter but I'd rather be outside.
  • ivykivy
    ivykivy Posts: 2,970 Member
    Options
    I use the treadmill @ 25-50% incline 2-3mph. The elliptical is in the corner with a jacket over it (it hurt my knees) as is the exercise bike (hurts my butt).
  • aprilvet
    aprilvet Posts: 724 Member
    Options
    Agreed with the bike and the butt!:laugh: However, it's wonderful to ride my bike along the river (miles of trail) once that nice spring weather hits!:smile:
  • iTim__
    iTim__ Posts: 6,823 Member
    Options
    Treadmill and it is all about the calories. I know how many I want to burn when I start and that's what I target... depending on how much time I have, I'll adjust the speed, but other than that, it is all about burning the calories. That said, I always watch TV while I workout... helps the time to fly by. :)

Have you seen that bowflex treadmill / step / elliptical all in one thing? The commercial says twice as many calories are burned when compared to just a treadmill workout at the same speed. I'm thinking that is WAY cool.
  • 1Corinthians13
    1Corinthians13 Posts: 5,296 Member
    Options
    I love the look of that bowflex thingie, but i'll never be able to afford it. of course even if I could, I can't have it on a 3rd floor apartment. :tongue:

I personally mostly use the treadmill. I run, and I prefer to run outside, but when it's cold, I use the treadmill. Sometimes, if I get tired of it (because despite the playlist on my Ipod, it can get boring), then I change it up and use the elliptical because I can read while I'm on that thing, and that helps the time go by.
  • FitJoani
    FitJoani Posts: 2,173 Member
    Options
    i actually prefer a real run thru the woods but my indoor choice is the elliptical at about an 8 for intensity for 20-30 minutes
  • DelTonious_Max
    Options
    Elliptical user here. On average I do at least 20 mins.(sometimes 30-45 if I have time), 170 strides pm or above, 8 resistance, ramp at 6. (and of course fluctuate those numbers a bit at different times) I like it cause it's easier on my knees. I've never been a good runner, so when I'm on the tread mill it's misery.

The ellipticals were all taken the other day so got on the TM. Did 3.5 for 3 mins. then 6.0 for 2 mins. (that's when the knees and feet start to screeming) and alternated like that for 15 mins and that's about all I could do.

Being able to speed up or slow down at will (without having to push buttons like the TM) is a bonus too.