Diabetic and keto

Options
Hello everyone! It's my first time posting on here. I didn't even know this existed!! So, my husband and I are both diabetics and I have been doing some reading on keto diet. We have slowly been changing our eating habits, adding more veggies to our meals, smaller meals, healthy snacks in between. The whole macros, ketosis, using healthy fats is confusing to me still. Like I said, I've been reading on the keto. I am ready to start on it. But my husband is a bit hesitant on it. He just doesnt understand that our bodies will burn fat by us consuming healthy fats. Also, with us being diabetic and our glucose being high, he doesnt think it'll be a good idea. Is there anybody out there that is a diabetic and has tried and had success with the keto? Tia.

Replies

• HeatherD711
    HeatherD711 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Actually, if you read up, you will find that Keto is great for Diabetics because the low carb lifestyle eliminates your body from converting carbs to sugar. The Ideal Keto diet is all about tracking Macros. Which you can do with MyFitnessPal using the diary. I am currently on a 850 calorie diet. My Diet is 75% Fat, 20% protein and 5% carbs . You can set this up right on the app or the web . I log everything I eat and it helps you become more aware of everything you eat. I find great recipes on the Total Keto Diet App where you can add things to your grocery list for each recipe.
  • Fatty_Nuff
    Fatty_Nuff Posts: 273 Member
    Options
    Actually, if you read up, you will find that Keto is great for Diabetics because the low carb lifestyle eliminates your body from converting carbs to sugar. The Ideal Keto diet is all about tracking Macros. Which you can do with MyFitnessPal using the diary. I am currently on a 850 calorie diet. My Diet is 75% Fat, 20% protein and 5% carbs . You can set this up right on the app or the web . I log everything I eat and it helps you become more aware of everything you eat. I find great recipes on the Total Keto Diet App where you can add things to your grocery list for each recipe.
    What? First of all, carbohydrates are sugar. The body doesn't need to "convert" carbs to sugar.. And even on a zero carb diet, there is still sugar circulating in the bloodstream which the body can obtain from dietary protein.
    OP, I agree with above. Diabetes is a serious disease, and I would consult with your Dr or a registered dietitian if a keto diet is the best route for your particular situation.
  • debrakgoogins
    debrakgoogins Posts: 2,033 Member
    Options
    Fatty_Nuff wrote: »
    What? First of all, carbohydrates are sugar. The body doesn't need to "convert" carbs to sugar.. And even on a zero carb diet, there is still sugar circulating in the bloodstream which the body can obtain from dietary protein.
    OP, I agree with above. Diabetes is a serious disease, and I would consult with your Dr or a registered dietitian if a keto diet is the best route for your particular situation.

All carbs are not sugar. Carbs can be fiber, starches and sugars. OP, talk to your doctor and get a reference for a dietitian who specializes in diabetes.

http://www.diabetes.org/food-and-fitness/food/what-can-i-eat/understanding-carbohydrates/types-of-carbohydrates.html
  • BlondeButtercup127
    BlondeButtercup127 Posts: 750 Member
    Options
    I'm not diabetic but, I do follow keto and have been for almost three months and down 30 pounds. I began with the support of my doctor because I have PCOS and this particular life style is wonderful for (most) with PCOS. I also have severe arthritis in my left knee, and when starting Keto I was walking with a cane because of all of the pain I was in. Here I am at the end of January cane free about 98% of the time!!

Feel free to add me if you'd like to have an added keto buddy!!
  • Heavenscentgirl
    Heavenscentgirl Posts: 8 Member
    edited January 2019
    Options
    I am not diabetic but my husband is. I am going back to keto, although I generally end up low carb as I can't seem to get enough fats, but I work on it. I just recently got diagnosed Celiac and had to stay off keto until testing was done and am having a hell of a time getting back on. I would love to see my husband be able to do keto, under his doctors care of course, but he has too many vices that are not keto friendly. I wish you the best of luck during your journey! I am open for keto friends as well. I am not on here a lot but hope to change that.
  • Fatty_Nuff
    Fatty_Nuff Posts: 273 Member
    edited January 2019
    Options

All carbs are not sugar. Carbs can be fiber, starches and sugars. OP, talk to your doctor and get a reference for a dietitian who specializes in diabetes.
    Yes they are. Starches are monosaccharides (sugars) in a slightly more complex form called polysaccharides, which the digestive system easily breaks down into sugar, although not as fast as simple sugar. Fiber is a carbohydrate that is mostly indigestible, but still sugar in it's most basic form.
  • debrakgoogins
    debrakgoogins Posts: 2,033 Member
    Options
    Fatty_Nuff wrote: »

Yes they are. Starches are monosaccharides (sugars) in a slightly more complex form called polysaccharides, which the digestive system easily breaks down into sugar, although not as fast as simple sugar. Fiber is a carbohydrate that is mostly indigestible, but still sugar in it's most basic form.

Ok, cool. You might want to contact the American Diabetes Association and have them update their information.
  • snickerscharlie
    snickerscharlie Posts: 8,578 Member
    edited January 2019
    Options
    kimny72 wrote: »
    Larkspur94 wrote: »
    Which diabetes is it, 1 or 2? Keto is known for curing type 2, but do as the person above said and reduce slower instead of sudden. Start with liberal- moderate low carb. Make sure to see your doctor regularly to monitor how your body handles it. I'm unsure of the effects on type 1.

You will also want to go for low GI foods. Be careful with fruits (you don't actually need fruit. Veggies can give the same benefits), only use non GI natural sweeteners such as erythritol, check for any sugar in food items (it can be sneaky, anything ending in 'ose' is sugar). Some starches can also sneak into things like maize starch, corn syrup, rice flour, etc... You may find this with things that state gluten free, but this doesn't mean keto friendly.

Once you get down to keto and your body adapts, you should find you can completely come off insulin. But again, this isn't a sudden thing and you need to ensure it's safe with your doctor.

I highly recommend watching 'the magic pill' on netflix with your husband. Should convince him about the fats too. Has a diabetic on a high amount of insulin on there.
    Goodluck.

It is HIGHLY irresponsible to be telling someone with a diagnosed medical condition how a specific diet will affect their medication and health. Unless you are an endocrinologist or a certified diabetes RD and forgot to mention it?

Mishandling of blood sugar issues in diabetic patients can be fatal. There are plenty of other threads where keto can be haphazardly advertised.

^^^ This.

OP, please talk to your doctor and/or a registered dietician before making any changes to your diet.