Alternative ways to stay active

Options
My daughter is now in the 3rd grade which has been a hard transition for us and as a result, I’ve been printing study materials and practice tests and have been tutoring her a lot to help her. Although I have a gym membership, I usually pick her up from school and go straight home to help her with homework and to study so she doesn’t fall behind.

This means that I have to find alternative ways to stay active. Ways I’m doing this is to take a brisk walk during my 30-minute morning and afternoon breaks and I also walk for about 20 minutes after I eat a quick lunch.

It doesn’t sound like much but it helps to keep me active during this crazy time. Does anyone have any free online suggestions for cardio and/or yoga? I could workout at home while she’s doing homework but spending an hour at the gym right now is going to be difficult.

Thanks guys!

Replies

• Phirrgus
    Phirrgus Posts: 1,894 Member
    Options
    There are several really decent programs on youtube, such as FitnessBlender, that have programs tailored for just about anything, like some good body weight workouts. You can get quite the workout in 20-30 minutes or less.
  • 2wise4u
    2wise4u Posts: 229 Member
    Options
    I'll definitely check it out, thank you.
  • NorthCascades
    NorthCascades Posts: 10,968 Member
    Options
    Get each of you a bike. Pick her up from school that way. Take the scenic route home when the sun is out.
  • 2wise4u
    Options
    Get each of you a bike. Pick her up from school that way. Take the scenic route home when the sun is out.

That sounds like a great idea but we live in a city where cyclists have died due to distracted motorists. I wish our route home was one that would allow a nice peaceful bike ride but it wouldn't work in this case. Thanks for the idea though. We may use that idea on the weekends when we can take the bikes to the city park.
  • lmew91
    lmew91 Posts: 88 Member
    Options
    I walk on my breaks at work too. I've noticed that several work out programs, even strength training programs, will include an at-home workout guide along with one that's more tailored for the gym. I have the Strong Curves book, for example, and it includes exercises to use in place of the ones you'd need gym equipment for. There are also tons of workout videos on Youtube or DVDs you can purchase.
  • 2wise4u
    Options
    Awesome!! Thank you so much. I'm going to check into it today.