Dash Diet - the Good the Bad the Ugly

Options
My Doc wants me to go on the DASH Diet - looks complicated with "xxx servings of this" and "xxx servings of that".
Anybody have any success with this diet?

Replies

• janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options
    You might find this thread interesting: https://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10720748/dash-diet-thread/p1

There are currently some MFP members trying it and sharing examples of their meals.
  • zeejane03
    zeejane03 Posts: 993 Member
    Options
    There's a few of us experimenting with DASH right now and it's actually been a lot of fun :) Head on over to the link that janejellyroll posted- there's lots of info about the plan there, as well as a couple of podcast links from 2 dieticians who just finished their own experiment with it.
  • fdhunt1
    fdhunt1 Posts: 222 Member
    Options
    cwolfman13 wrote: »
    fdhunt1 wrote: »
    My Doc wants me to go on the DASH Diet - looks complicated with "xxx servings of this" and "xxx servings of that".
    Anybody have any success with this diet?

It's basically how I got into nutrition. I didn't really concern myself so much with suggested servings (especially at first), but focused more on the whole foods aspect and eating a lot of plants.

Cwolfman: I read your bio and we have much in common as far as why we are on this site. I have been doing KETO with limited results and am looking for a better way. Any chance you could detail a few of the things you did diet wise to get on track. I already gave up the smokes, but have blood work to correct as well as some pounds to shed. Any advice would be appreciated.
  • Keto_Vampire
    Keto_Vampire Posts: 1,670 Member
    Options
    Not really a fan of the whole # serving sizes of food group X...just not as important as say total daily kcal goal. # Serving sizes of food group X was the premise of the "food pyramid"...and we all know how well that worked out (><). I will say DASH seems like somewhat of an improvement by at least being a bit more specific in terms of food selection
  • deardiane62
    deardiane62 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    YES! I've been using DASH combined with a 1300 calorie limit and have lost 11 pounds since July. I find it very easy to follow, especially using a spreadsheet I created to check the boxes so I know what kind of food I still need to eat that day. My cholesterol is now in the healthy range (164) for the first time in over a decade. I'm super happy and plan to continue eating this way for the rest of my life. I'll increase the daily calories a bit, once I am at the weight I want to maintain (need to lose 17 more pounds). If you give me your email address, I'll forward the chart to you.
  • kimny72
    kimny72 Posts: 16,013 Member
    Options
    just_Tomek wrote: »
    kimny72 wrote: »
    just_Tomek wrote: »
    YES! I've been using DASH combined with a 1300 calorie limit and have lost 11 pounds since July. I find it very easy to follow, especially using a spreadsheet I created to check the boxes so I know what kind of food I still need to eat that day. My cholesterol is now in the healthy range (164) for the first time in over a decade. I'm super happy and plan to continue eating this way for the rest of my life. I'll increase the daily calories a bit, once I am at the weight I want to maintain (need to lose 17 more pounds). If you give me your email address, I'll forward the chart to you.

The only reason you lost weigh is because you are in a calorie deficit. NOT because of some weird diet.

That's true but it's not "some weird diet". DASH stands for Dietary Approaches to Stop Hypertension and is promoted by the NIH and USDA for health benefits, not weight loss. While followed strictly it can be a little complicated, most health organizations that promote it stress that it's useful even as a general guideline, and honestly would loosely match the way many health-conscious people who don't follow a "diet" end up eating.

Agree. Also, I did not mean DASH is weird, I meant it in general. As far as I know I am eating this way too, just don concern myself with how many servings of what.

Ah, got it :smile:
  • neugebauer52
    neugebauer52 Posts: 1,120 Member
    Options
    I have stopped that "diet" business last year and changed to a healthier life style, let MFP do the calculations and stick to it. 556 days gone, 42 kg (90 pounds) gone, more to lose.
  • lemurcat2
    lemurcat2 Posts: 7,885 Member
    edited October 2019
    Options
    I have stopped that "diet" business last year and changed to a healthier life style, let MFP do the calculations and stick to it. 556 days gone, 42 kg (90 pounds) gone, more to lose.

Many people use "diet" to mean "way of eating" or "eating at a deficit" or both. I certainly would not say that losing using MFP = not diet, as I use the term "diet."

The DASH diet is using "diet" as in way of eating, as many might follow it whether or not they are losing. It's a healthy way to eat and likely provides helpful guidelines for many. I find the servings approach not to my taste vs. other options, and I also personally prefer more veg, beans, and nuts/seeds (and healthy fats) and fewer grains than traditional DASH, but DASH can be a great option and is a healthy lifestyle (eating, at least, for me lifestyle includes a lot more than eating choices).
  • lemurcat2
    lemurcat2 Posts: 7,885 Member
    Options

I did something like the spreadsheet approach back when I first changed my diet and started cooking more (this was way back in my early 30s). I now find that when I log (I'm at maintenance and do only off and on) I prefer that approach, as it's just more in sync with how my mind works, but this sounds like it's working wonderfully for you. Congrats on your success so far!