Another bump in the road

Options
Suffering from another bump in the road today (2nd time in a month since seriously starting weight loss). It’s one of those kind of days where I’m absolutely ravenous and can eat everything in sight.

I’ve been good otherwise though. I made a homemade Oreo cheesecake yesterday, and I pushed myself to burn 2000 calories in the gym yesterday (about 3 hours) just so I could eat some without feeling guilty about it.. it ridiculous really haha..

I was weighed again Saturday just gone and had gone down in weight again, from 100kg 2 weeks ago to 98kg.

I’ve been eating pretty much what I want, but today is one of those “limitless days”.

Replies

• julielunk94
    julielunk94 Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    What did you do that burned 2000 calories? Or was that an exaggeration?

No that was not me exaggerating.

1 hour treadmill (15th incline, 5.3 speed)
    1 hour X-Ride (8th level)
    1 hour stationary bike, medium pace.

• julielunk94
    julielunk94 Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    emmylootwo wrote: »
    emmylootwo wrote: »
    What did you do that burned 2000 calories? Or was that an exaggeration?

No that was not me exaggerating.

1 hour treadmill (15th incline, 5.3 speed)
    1 hour X-Ride (8th level)
    1 hour stationary bike, medium pace.

That is ridiculous unhealthy behavior. Just enjoy your cheesecake.

Not quite sure why you see it as unhealthy? I kept within my physical limits and didn’t push myself to the breaking point, but rather prolong that one gym session. I didn’t feel exhausted afterwards either.

Doing cardio for 3 hours because you feel guilt from eating food is not normal. I wouldn't make a habit of it... look up "exercise bulimia."

Wow, I never knew that was a thing!!😳
  • psychod787
    psychod787 Posts: 4,088 Member
    edited January 2019
    Options
    psychod787 wrote: »
    You didn't burn 2000 cals.... as stated above wild over exaggerating.... 2000 cals is like 4-5 hrs of crossfit. Also, nothing wrong with exercising to eat a bit more. Move more eat more can be normal, but when it gets extreme, he careful.

I am going by what the machines told me after inputting my age and weight, so if you think there’s any exaggeration perhaps put it in that rather than accusing me of over exaggerating as that’s what you’re coming across as.

Anyhow, that was the one and only time I have ever done such a long session in the gym. I hover between 1 and a half-2 hours per day, though in weekdays it now tends to be just a bit over an hour.

Like I stated... I believe in move more eat more... just don't go loco and burn yourself out.. oh and btw... was speaking of the machine exaggerating..... much is lost in context when when just using words....
  • MichelleSilverleaf
    MichelleSilverleaf Posts: 2,028 Member
    Options
    You didn't burn 2000 cals.... as stated above wild over exaggerating.... 2000 cals is like 4-5 hrs of crossfit. Also, nothing wrong with exercising to eat a bit more. Move more eat more can be normal, but when it gets extreme, he careful.

I am going by what the machines told me after inputting my age and weight, so if you think there’s any exaggeration perhaps put it in that rather than accusing me of over exaggerating as that’s what you’re coming across as.

Anyhow, that was the one and only time I have ever done such a long session in the gym. I hover between 1 and a half-2 hours per day, though in weekdays it now tends to be just a bit over an hour.

That was me who made the over-exaggerating comment, and I wasn't accusing you of anything. Simply thought it was an expression if not from the machines itself.
  • psychod787
    Options
    I wanted to add, that there's nothing wrong with going to the gym and killing it. Though there is some research that talks about people who go to the gym and burn themselves out compensating later in the day by doing less. I might advise you to find ways of adding exercise into your daily routine. One way of doing that isn't by improving NEAT. I am now just beginning to be a novice, I was recently someone who did not know schnit. Lol
  • vanityy99
    vanityy99 Posts: 2,583 Member
    Options

And you didn’t go three hours straight right you took lil breaks?

That’s awesome will power. I struggle with 45 mins doing moderate cardio. Unfortunately the machines do over count calories burnt. I’m sure you burnt a ton of calories still though.
  • psychod787
    Options
    Also, sustaining such an effort... dang...
  • JeromeBarry1
    JeromeBarry1 Posts: 10,182 Member
    Options
    During three years of counting calories I came to expect one of those 'darn it!' days to occur about every 10 days. I still managed to lose weight, remaining at least 50 below my starting weight. I never did find a solution to that before I started doing keto last week. It's only been 9 days, but I've successfully kept ghrelin quiet and leptin happy so far.
  • yirara
    yirara Posts: 9,398 Member
    Options
    Yes, most machines overexaggerate burns. Plus they usually state gross calories. That's the calories you burn anyway (that's what your base metabolic rate is, and already accounted for in MFP) plus the exercise calories. Thus this is basically double dipping.

Say your bmr is around 1700kcal over 24 hours. 3 hours would be 212kcal that you'd be double dipping.
    Also, if you restrict too much you're more likely to binge. Is your deficit too big for all the workouts that you do?
  • snickerscharlie
    snickerscharlie Posts: 8,578 Member
    Options
    During three years of counting calories I came to expect one of those 'darn it!' days to occur about every 10 days. I still managed to lose weight, remaining at least 50 below my starting weight. I never did find a solution to that before I started doing keto last week. It's only been 9 days, but I've successfully kept ghrelin quiet and leptin happy so far.

Today is day 10. Just sayin'. ;)

Hope your new way of eating continues to manage your appetite.