I need help with my diet plan! :-(

Options
TimelordGale
TimelordGale Posts: 8 Member
edited January 2019 in Food and Nutrition
Guys, I am so confused. I understand I have to eat my macros: 1.5g of carbs, 1g of protein, and .5g of fat - For every lb of body weight. My GOAL is to build muscle while ALSO losing fat. I eat mildly below my maintence calories so I can lose that fat, yet, for months now I haven’t seen any results. I excercise 4-5 times a week via strength training and occasionally 30 minutes of basketball.

90% of the diets throughout my months consist of White Jasmine Rice and Eggs - I rarely eat anything else because I either don’t have the time or budget for it, could this be the problem? My diary is also public, so feel free to look through it!

Replies

• Elphaba1313
    Elphaba1313 Posts: 194 Member
    edited January 2019
    Options
    What is "mildly below maintenance". And are you eating nothing but Rice and eggs? I mean, only calories count for weight loss but you must be feeling crappy eating nothing but rice and eggs????

ETA I just looked at your diary. You aren't logging your calories. I looked at Thursday - You have "Fat, 10g" at 0 calories. Carbs, 31g at zero calories etc. You need to set your self up with a goal loss and log what you eat, count your calories, come in at a deficit.

Also when you do log, you are using tablespoons, cups etc. Food scale and weigh everything.
  • MichelleSilverleaf
    MichelleSilverleaf Posts: 2,028 Member
    Options
    Guys, I am so confused. I understand I have to eat my macros: 1.5g of carbs, 1g of protein, and .5g of fat - For every lb of body weight. My GOAL is to build muscle while ALSO losing fat. I eat mildly below my maintence calories so I can lose that fat, yet, for months now I haven’t seen any results. I excercise 4-5 times a week via strength training and occasionally 30 minutes of basketball.

90% of the diets throughout my months consist of White Jasmine Rice and Eggs - I rarely eat anything else because I either don’t have the time or budget for it, could this be the problem? My diary is also public, so feel free to look through it!

You don't say how much weight you have to lose. If you're already in a healthy weight range for your height you might want to look at recomp which will give you what you're looking for. Otherwise if you have a significant amount of weight to lose you're not going to gain muscle. That being said white rice and eggs not only sounds horribly boring but horribly inadequate. You need a variety of nutrients that you're not going to get from rice and eggs. You need more variety in your diet.

Elphaba is right, your tracking doesn't look accurate. You need to weigh everything and use good database entries. If you haven't seen results it's because you're not actually in a deficit.
  • jasonpoihegatama
    jasonpoihegatama Posts: 496 Member
    Options
    Are you Male? Age ? Hight ? weight? do you go gym? how much you lift? If you can add cup or two of any mix veggies to your rice. and water
  • TimelordGale
    edited January 2019
    Options
    I’m a 5’6 male, 17 at 150 mostly. I know it sounds weird, but I dont mind eating rice and eggs everyday - Been doing so for years.

I heard that white Jasmine rice has refined carbs, any truth to this?

I’ve also been trying to add chicken to my diet, it’s just hard to cook without the time... I’m going to try to find it.
  • TimelordGale
    Options
    What is "mildly below maintenance". And are you eating nothing but Rice and eggs? I mean, only calories count for weight loss but you must be feeling crappy eating nothing but rice and eggs????

ETA I just looked at your diary. You aren't logging your calories. I looked at Thursday - You have "Fat, 10g" at 0 calories. Carbs, 31g at zero calories etc. You need to set your self up with a goal loss and log what you eat, count your calories, come in at a deficit.

Also when you do log, you are using tablespoons, cups etc. Food scale and weigh everything.

What I mean by “mildly below recomp” is that I am eating 200 hundred calories below my maintenance (2400). I am trying to gain muscle while also burning fat.
  • luckymushroom7
    luckymushroom7 Posts: 8 Member
    edited January 2019
    Options
    Foods like cottage cheese,regular cheese,Greek yougurt,peanut butter,canned tuna,bananas(other fruits in season) overnight oats w/milk ,whole grain bread etc.aren’t very expensive & require very little prep time.fry up some ground turkey(I use mrs.dash blend to season) it only takes about 10 minutes to cook and you could have that with your rice instead of eggs.
  • RAinWA
    RAinWA Posts: 1,980 Member
    edited January 2019
    Options
    At 17 you really should not be using MFP - you are still growing and your nutritional needs are different than an adult.
  • TimelordGale
    Options
    RAinWA wrote: »
    At 17 you really should not be using MFP - you are still growing and your nutritional needs are different than an adult.

MFP?
  • TimelordGale
    Options
    Foods like cottage cheese,regular cheese,Greek yougurt,peanut butter,canned tuna,bananas(other fruits in season) overnight oats w/milk ,whole grain bread etc.aren’t very expensive & require very little prep time.fry up some ground turkey(I use mrs.dash blend to season) it only takes about 10 minutes to cook and you could have that with your rice instead of eggs.

I will look into that, thank you.
  • deannalfisher
    deannalfisher Posts: 5,600 Member
    Options
    myfitnesspal - aka this website - under 18's are not allowed to use because of the terms of service
  • namelesshere
    namelesshere Posts: 334 Member
    Options

I’ve also been trying to add chicken to my diet, it’s just hard to cook without the time... I’m going to try to find it.

adding Chicken is easy. I throw several frozen chicken breasts in a crockpot. Turn it on til it is done. I have fresh cooked chicken for several days that I can make salad, soups, hot dishes, sandwiches etc with. However, being as young as you are and the weight that you are I think you would do well to reevaluate your entire eating plan. Add some fruits and vegetables, choose a variety of carbs, (not just rice) and add a variety of meats. You are still growing and need the varied diet to make sure you have good bone and muscle health in addition to overall health.
  • TimelordGale
    Options
    myfitnesspal - aka this website - under 18's are not allowed to use because of the terms of service
    Cool... can’t believe anyone cared, lol
  • TimelordGale
    Options
    TrishSeren wrote: »
    You can't build muscle whilst losing fat, building muscle requires excess calories whilst fat loss requires a calorie deficit.

If you lift weights and focus on high protein while losing fat it'll help you retain the muscle you have, then once you are happy with the fat level you can look at recomp or bulking.

"I heard that white Jasmine rice has refined carbs, any truth to this?" - doesn't matter, don't worry about it. I eat a cup of it 5 days a week minimum.

Please eat add some fruit or vegetables to your diet too.

Thank you Trish - you are insightful.