Cramps in my calves, doing something wrong?

Options
I snack on a banana every day for potassium plus I ordered a multivitamin to try and help. I stretch every time I workout but I haven't exercised the past three days- cramps have been for like 2 weeks though. Ideas? Oh it does merit mentioning that I've just recently restarted this fitness journey after a long hiatus.

Replies

• claireychn074
    claireychn074 Posts: 1,386 Member
    Options
    Are they cramps or bad doms? If doms, that’s normal if you’ve restarted your exercise regime. If cramps, you may need to up your electrolytes. Some people also find the quinine in tonic helpful. I find the salt in dry roast peanuts helps me after a hard workout.
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    I snack on a banana every day for potassium plus I ordered a multivitamin to try and help. I stretch every time I workout but I haven't exercised the past three days- cramps have been for like 2 weeks though. Ideas? Oh it does merit mentioning that I've just recently restarted this fitness journey after a long hiatus.

have you cut a lot of salt out of your diet? are you trying to eat 'clean'?
  • megamom
    megamom Posts: 920 Member
    Options
    I drink nuun electrolye when I do my workouts and take magnesium pills when the cramps get really bad.
  • Je55ica_79
    Je55ica_79 Posts: 277 Member
    Options
    Drink lots of water. I'm terrible at getting enough water and I get muscle cramps in my feet and legs probably once a month that reminds be to be better about drinking then it goes away once I've drowned 3 glasses and it stays away when I make sure to get at least 32oz a day.
  • BrianSharpe
    BrianSharpe Posts: 9,248 Member
    Options
    Cramps can be caused by a number of things....dehydration (are you drinking enough water?) electrolytes (the RDA of potassium is 4,700mg, 1 banana is about 10% of that; or a low sodium diet) or just trying to do too much too soon (ie big change in activity level before your body has had time to adapt).

Without knowing more about the type, duration and intensity of what you're doing and more details about your eating habits (your diary is closed) it's all guess work.
  • JeromeBarry1
    JeromeBarry1 Posts: 10,182 Member
    Options
    Himalayan pink salt. Nuun, Salty food. The common feature is electrolytes.
  • megamom
    megamom Posts: 920 Member
    Options
    Another thing I really like is I make golden paste and take that every day. Some people hate the taste, I love it, so you can get it in pill form but it is lot more expensive, I also make my own pills for when I am out of town. It is one of the few things they think may be effective in DOMS. There are a lot of great recipes for it on-line.
  • 23MJ88DBFan
    23MJ88DBFan Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    Are they cramps or bad doms? If doms, that’s normal if you’ve restarted your exercise regime. If cramps, you may need to up your electrolytes. Some people also find the quinine in tonic helpful. I find the salt in dry roast peanuts helps me after a hard workout.

It's super rare that I ever drink anything with electrolytes. I mainly drink water or coffee and if I'm bad I go all out and make it a Dr Pepper because that's my weakness. Went 3 wks without it and lost more weight but came so close to losing my mind.
  • 23MJ88DBFan
    Options

have you cut a lot of salt out of your diet? are you trying to eat 'clean'?

Yes, I am but not 100, more like 80/20 and as far as salt goes I don't add much but I do use more canned veggies than I'd like which I know have sodium already but with limited income currently we have to cut corners. How much of a role does the salt play?
  • 23MJ88DBFan
    Options
    megamom wrote: »
    I drink nuun electrolye when I do my workouts and take magnesium pills when the cramps get really bad.

Never heard of nuun before, thanks for the tip. I just ordered a multivitamin that has potassium, calcium & magnesium- Alive Max3 for women so maybe that will help.
  • 23MJ88DBFan
    Options
    everjcjv wrote: »
    Drink lots of water. I'm terrible at getting enough water and I get muscle cramps in my feet and legs probably once a month that reminds be to be better about drinking then it goes away once I've drowned 3 glasses and it stays away when I make sure to get at least 32oz a day.

I have been drinking from 48-64 oz a day, sorry to hear you have that problem too
  • 23MJ88DBFan
    Options
    Cramps can be caused by a number of things....dehydration (are you drinking enough water?) electrolytes (the RDA of potassium is 4,700mg, 1 banana is about 10% of that; or a low sodium diet) or just trying to do too much too soon (ie big change in activity level before your body has had time to adapt).

Without knowing more about the type, duration and intensity of what you're doing and more details about your eating habits (your diary is closed) it's all guess work.

I have been drinking from 48-64 oz a day of water. On the sodium, I don't add too much salt to my food but do have to use some canned veg more than I'd like for cost reasons. Try to eat 80/20 clean. Within the past 2 years, went from bedridden from 2 accidents, learned to walk again, then light activity & desk job to 3x/wk workouts: alternate walking/stretching 1 day, just dance on wii w/weights and squats/abs/obliques 1 day and 3rd day exercise bike.
  • claireychn074
    Options
    Okay so I am not an expert but electrolytes are necessary for proper nerve transmission and you need a certain amount. If you’re low, it can cause cramps or make them worse. You can make your own electrolyte drinks ( you don’t have to spend a lot of money) by mixing a little bit of fruit juice with water and a little bit of salt. Some people drink pickle juice, I eat dry roast peanuts and I sometimes salt my food. Sounds like you might need to experiment a bit to find what works for you - there are some long-term serious exercise peeps in here who hopefully will chime in with what they do to help you!
  • claireychn074
    Options
    Ps absolutely nothing wrong with canned or frozen veg - great resources if fresh is not available!
  • 23MJ88DBFan
    Options
    @claireychn074 A friend of mine who's a personal trainer used to come over and she busted out that heavy rope few times, can't remember what it's called- I never quit sessions until she did because she had some personal stuff but tbh I wasn't ready Lol I nicknamed it THE BEAST! I may have died and resurrected.
  • Cherimoose
    Cherimoose Posts: 5,209 Member
    Options
    If it's just your calves, they're probably tight. When muscles are tight, electrolytes can't flow though them as easily, causing them to seize up. Try stretching your calves every hour for 30 seconds. Tight calves are common, because 90% of shoes have a raised heel, which compresses the calves. Switch to "zero heel" shoes for work & exercise (Keds, skateboard shoes, Altras, Nine2Five, etc). The exception is if you run, where a raised heel is fine.
  • ActiveStevie
    ActiveStevie Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    I’ve gone through that too. Spend at least 5 minutes stretching your calves RIGHT before running or treadmill...and drink at least 16oz of water within the half hour before. Adding one banana more than an hour before is great also. Do all of these 3 things while hydrating during and you should be golden. Hydrating within the hour after will help with nightime/next morning cramps.
  • 23MJ88DBFan
    Options
    Cherimoose wrote: »
    If it's just your calves, they're probably tight. When muscles are tight, electrolytes can't flow though them as easily, causing them to seize up. Try stretching your calves every hour for 30 seconds. Tight calves are common, because 90% of shoes have a raised heel, which compresses the calves. Switch to "zero heel" shoes for work & exercise (Keds, skateboard shoes, Altras, Nine2Five, etc). The exception is if you run, where a raised heel is fine.

Thanks for the advice, I currently alternate between my New Balance All Terrains & trusty Adidas because I thought having alot of support was best, shows what I know. So my Chucks would be better? Thanks again!
  • claireychn074
    Options
    @claireychn074 A friend of mine who's a personal trainer used to come over and she busted out that heavy rope few times, can't remember what it's called- I never quit sessions until she did because she had some personal stuff but tbh I wasn't ready Lol I nicknamed it THE BEAST! I may have died and resurrected.

Yeah battle ropes are evil. I kind of love and hate them lol! Great for fitness and stabilising my core 👍