How to lose weight and gain muscle at the same time???

Options
Hey everyone!
I have posted this in a different topic so apologies for anyone that annoys but I'm unsure where exactly to start this discussion.
I'm in need of some advice. Long story short, I've never tried to lose weight while gaining muscle mass and definition, I have always been slim in the past and so was doing the opposite really.
When I say lose weight, I'm talking about roughly 40pounds give or take. Really depending on body shape and how I feel more than a number on the scales.
Anyways, I'm looking for info on macros, i.e. What kind of ratio should I be trying to hit. Also how much of a deficit should I be taking my calorie intake to.
Finally, I was much more prone to doing weights in the past but with me looking to lose so much weight, wondering how much time I really ought to be spending on cardio, and basically looking for any advice on getting that balance right.
A lot of questions I know haha, sorry guys. I do think though that it is an interesting topic for anyone losing weight regardless, as lifting regularly on a weight loss loss journey is a great way to reduce loose skin and also improve strength.
Anyways guys, hope some of you can help.
Thanks in advance.

Replies

• h7463
    h7463 Posts: 626 Member
    Options
    Hi there!
    You should be eating for performance, not making weight loss the priority to start with. You can look into that as a later goal, once you know how your body responds to the training load. Muscle building involves heavy lifting by nature, and you should be able to walk out of the gym, not having to be dragged out by your feet on a regular basis... Feed yourself accordingly!
    It takes some patience and hard work, (<= see profile pic..) but you can trust the process. You can't expect any weightloss on the scale on a schedule, but since you'll be replacing fat with muscle mass, you'll be shrinking into your clothes, anyway!
    Get cleared by your doc, then seek advise from an experienced trainer for a lifting routing to suit your goal!
    Best of luck!
  • h7463
    Options
    h7463 wrote: »
    Hi there!
    You should be eating for performance, not making weight loss the priority to start with. You can look into that as a later goal, once you know how your body responds to the training load. Muscle building involves heavy lifting by nature, and you should be able to walk out of the gym, not having to be dragged out by your feet on a regular basis... Feed yourself accordingly!
    It takes some patience and hard work, (<= see profile pic..) but you can trust the process. You can't expect any weightloss on the scale on a schedule, but since you'll be replacing fat with muscle mass, you'll be shrinking into your clothes, anyway!
    Get cleared by your doc, then seek advise from an experienced trainer for a lifting routing to suit your goal!
    Best of luck!

NO you do NOT replace fat with muscle mass it doesnt work that way. to lose fat while building muscle means a recomp which is really really slow and with 40lbs to lose will be extremely slow. but you still dont replace fat with muscle.

The OP has stated, that she was always slim. There is no information, that she is actually overweight. That's the starting point for my suggestions. A recomp in this state should work as stated.
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    Options
    Hi there!
    Best of luck!

NO you do NOT replace fat with muscle mass it doesnt work that way. to lose fat while building muscle means a recomp which is really really slow and with 40lbs to lose will be extremely slow. but you still dont replace fat with muscle.

The OP has stated, that she was always slim. There is no information, that she is actually overweight. That's the starting point for my suggestions. A recomp in this state should work as stated.

This is what it says "When I say lose weight, I'm talking about roughly 40pounds give or take."

She isn't going to add 40lbs of muscle in her entire lifetime.
    She needs to cut / lose a substantial amount of weight.
  • h7463
    Options
    sijomial wrote: »
    Hi there!
    Best of luck!

This is what it says "When I say lose weight, I'm talking about roughly 40pounds give or take."

There is not enough info in the original post to give detailed advise. Vital stats are missing. The OP does not state that she is actually overweight, she only throws a number into the mix, that she thinks about shifting around. She states, she is not even entirely sure, if she will actually go for a total weightloss in any way at all.

As an apparent beginner in lifting, and with the appropriate program, she will likely enjoy a fast response in her muscles, and will likely add new lean muscle fairly quickly, anyway.

Instead of google-copy-paste any general info, like previous posts apparently did, I responded by sharing personal, and IMO practical experience on the approach of gaining strength and..obviously...enjoying some weight and inch loss on the way.

I've been lifting for several years now, and I have been through the initial transformation, as well as bulking/cutting cycles. I have never been overweight in my entire life, but I have enjoyed some decent shape-shifting.
    I believe this to be qualifying for an opinion on the subject. Of course, there won't be a 'replacement' of 40 lbs anywhere, but it's a nice visual, to be shrinking into ones clothes, wouldn't you agree? It'a all about motivation around here, after all..

Best of luck!

• cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    COLETTEBEE wrote: »
    Hey everyone!
    I have posted this in a different topic so apologies for anyone that annoys but I'm unsure where exactly to start this discussion.
    I'm in need of some advice. Long story short, I've never tried to lose weight while gaining muscle mass and definition, I have always been slim in the past and so was doing the opposite really.
    When I say lose weight, I'm talking about roughly 40pounds give or take. Really depending on body shape and how I feel more than a number on the scales.
    Anyways, I'm looking for info on macros, i.e. What kind of ratio should I be trying to hit. Also how much of a deficit should I be taking my calorie intake to.
    Finally, I was much more prone to doing weights in the past but with me looking to lose so much weight, wondering how much time I really ought to be spending on cardio, and basically looking for any advice on getting that balance right.
    A lot of questions I know haha, sorry guys. I do think though that it is an interesting topic for anyone losing weight regardless, as lifting regularly on a weight loss loss journey is a great way to reduce loose skin and also improve strength.
    Anyways guys, hope some of you can help.
    Thanks in advance.

Outside of what are called noob gains, you aren't going to gain any significant amount of muscle while cutting weight...basically, if you're cutting weight your body is in a catabolic state and building muscle is anabolic and requires a lot of energy...essentially, you can't build something with nothing.

What you can do is lift and preserve the lean mass you have while also enjoying some short lived, but nice noob gains. This way, when you cut the fat you have muscle to reveal. You will also experience some "pump" which looks nice and is often confused with muscle growth, but it's pretty much water. You will also get stronger as your CNS adapts to load.
  • shadow2soul
    shadow2soul Posts: 7,692 Member
    Options
    sijomial wrote: »
    Hi there!
    Best of luck!

There is not enough info in the original post to give detailed advise. Vital stats are missing. The OP does not state that she is actually overweight, she only throws a number into the mix, that she thinks about shifting around. She states, she is not even entirely sure, if she will actually go for a total weightloss in any way at all.

As an apparent beginner in lifting, and with the appropriate program, she will likely enjoy a fast response in her muscles, and will likely add new lean muscle fairly quickly, anyway.

Instead of google-copy-paste any general info, like previous posts apparently did, I responded by sharing personal, and IMO practical experience on the approach of gaining strength and..obviously...enjoying some weight and inch loss on the way.

I've been lifting for several years now, and I have been through the initial transformation, as well as bulking/cutting cycles. I have never been overweight in my entire life, but I have enjoyed some decent shape-shifting.
    I believe this to be qualifying for an opinion on the subject. Of course, there won't be a 'replacement' of 40 lbs anywhere, but it's a nice visual, to be shrinking into ones clothes, wouldn't you agree? It'a all about motivation around here, after all..

Best of luck!

I said similar things when I had weight to lose. I wasn’t just overweight; I was obese. It didn’t mean I didn’t want to lose weight. For me it meant I had a desired body composition I was aiming for and I really didn’t know how much it would take to get there. I could be wrong, but I read the OP’s post in a similar way. That she is looking for a certain composition and thinks it could take about a 40lb loss though she’s okay with if she reaches it without losing that much.

And so nice of you to make assumptions about the rest of us who are also trying to help the OP. Just because you don’t agree with a post doesn’t mean it was a “google-copy-paste”.

• ActiveStevie
    ActiveStevie Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    Cardio/HIIT/Bootcamp at least twice a week combined with careful diet and at least 2 days of weights (home or gym). At least an hour of these on those days.