Switching to Plant based diet and lose weight

Options
adchak
adchak Posts: 62 Member
Im tryg to switch to a plant based diet. I am 5 ft 7, 43 yrs old female. Startg wt 203. Current wt 183. So far have lost 20 lbs on a protein heavy diet 100-120 gms protein 50-60 gmscarbs, 70 grms fat 1300 cals. My TDEE is 1800 cals. I do strength training once a week, pure barre classes 2 times a week, walk 1-2 times a week 10,000 steps.
Im scared that even if i have a calorie deficit because my carb intake is going up with a plantbased diet I will gain wt. need to monitor closely. I also have hypothyroidism, cant have dairy. My plant based diet will be 120 gms carbs, 70 gm protein, rest fat. Has anyone successfully lost weight on primarily plant based diet?

Replies

• nooshi713
    nooshi713 Posts: 4,877 Member
    Options
    You can still lose weight. You just have to watch your calories and replace your animal protein sources with plant based ones.
  • AmandaDanceMore
    AmandaDanceMore Posts: 298 Member
    Options
    It’s not like you’re eating loaves of white bread and bags of cookies. Plants are good for you! The benefits far outweigh the cost. Keep up with your calories, be sure to eat ENOUGH (a lot of people fail at plant based because they don’t eat enough to not feel hungry all the time), and don’t get caught up in the whole protein thing so much.
  • lemurcat2
    lemurcat2 Posts: 7,885 Member
    edited January 2019
    Options
    Many do, but it can make it harder for some. If you are really committed ethically to plant-based, it probably will not. If not, I think it's more likely to be more difficult (although you are cutting out the foods I personally tend most often to overeat, like cheese).
  • HeidiMightyRawr
    HeidiMightyRawr Posts: 3,343 Member
    Options
    You can still lose weight, all you need is a calorie deficit. I've been vegan/plant based for 2 years but my whole life I've eaten lots of carbs, even as a big meat eater in the past I ate around 300g+ carbs. I'm currently losing on around that amount carbs and minimum goal of 75g protein (usually get 80-100ish)

However, if you wish, you can still be high protein and low(er) carb on a plant based diet. Chances are it'll be harder to cut the carbs but not impossible. Don't be afraid of carbs though, lots of veggies, wholegrains preferably over white rice/pasta etc and refined sugar but carbs as a macro are not bad and will not make you gain weight IF you're in a calorie deficit.
  • zeejane03
    zeejane03 Posts: 993 Member
    edited January 2019
    Options
    Weight loss (and weight gain) comes down to calories. It doesn't matter what kinds of foods, how many carbs etc. I'm mostly plant based right now, besides dairy and then fish 2-3 times a week, and I've lost several pounds this month (currently at 137lbs). The weight loss is because I'm at a calorie deficit and then also because I've really upped my fiber, from plant foods, and that's making my digestion more 'active' lol. I don't pay a lot of attention to my macros, but spot checking I'm regularly at around 200 grams of carbs or higher.
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options
    I lost weight eating only plants. Your weight loss will be determined by the calories you consume, not how many plants or carbohydrates you eat.
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,221 Member
    Options
    adchak wrote: »
    Im tryg to switch to a plant based diet. I am 5 ft 7, 43 yrs old female. Startg wt 203. Current wt 183. So far have lost 20 lbs on a protein heavy diet 100-120 gms protein 50-60 gmscarbs, 70 grms fat 1300 cals. My TDEE is 1800 cals. I do strength training once a week, pure barre classes 2 times a week, walk 1-2 times a week 10,000 steps.
    Im scared that even if i have a calorie deficit because my carb intake is going up with a plantbased diet I will gain wt. need to monitor closely. I also have hypothyroidism, cant have dairy. My plant based diet will be 120 gms carbs, 70 gm protein, rest fat. Has anyone successfully lost weight on primarily plant based diet?

I'm sort of confused.

On what basis are you saying TDEE 1800? Do you have enough experience data to calculate it? The TDEE calculators (not MFP, which is a NEAT calculator) say 1800-some for you at sedentary, not at your exercise/activity load. Keep in mind that if you let MFP calculate your calorie needs, you're supposed to log and eat your exercise calories, too, to achieve the weight loss rate you set it for (which shouldn't be as much as 2 pounds a week, at your current size, for best odds of good health).

If you keep eating 1300(ish), you should keep losing at about the same rate. (I don't really understand why you want to increase carbs and decrease protein that much; the type of diet doesn't change nutritional needs, and plant-based protein usually comes with some carbs, but . . . ?) . I also don't understand what being hypothyroid has to do with it (I'm hypothyroid, BTW). Are you also lactose intolerant, so that's why you're omitting dairy, or is that an ethical issue?

Just as context, I'm vegetarian (ovo-lacto), and have been for decades, and hypothyroid as I mentioned. When I started losing weight at 183, 5'5" (and age 59), 1300 gross calories would've been too low for me. While I'm a mysteriously good li'l ol' calorie-burner, you should still have some room to eat a bit more, given your exercise schedule, and the fact that you're taller and younger.

I just like seeing everyone stay strong and healthy while achieving weight goals!
  • cathipa
    cathipa Posts: 2,991 Member
    Options
    adchak wrote: »

I've done every diet out there and recently converted to WFPB. I was consuming <150g carbs for years. I'm now consuming >250g regularly and have not only lost weight, but I'm feeling great! I have more energy than before which I attribute to more carbs. I have PCOS as well, but I think since losing weight this has been more manageable and also with more fiber this may help to improve any hormonal excess. Don't fear the carbs!
  • AshAllcock
    AshAllcock Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Me and my husband have recently changed to a plant based diet for my husbands health. We've both lost 10lbs since the start of the second week in January. We tru to stick to how much nutrition % it tells us. Sometimes we got over or under. I put kindey beans or chickpeas in almost everything as they're high in protein to replace meat, I actually feel better than ever... We use soy milk for breakfast, personally it's not that big of deal for me as I was never a big meat eater and I've never really liked dairy products such as milk, cheese, etc. I still have chocolate but trying to replace that with nuts slowly.
    But yes, this has been the best change to my diet for weight loss, health and overall health in my opinion.