Loss of dog = loss of steps

Options
We recently euthanized our dog after a short bout with cancer. In addition to missing her love and companionship, we've lost about 5,000 steps a day on our twice daily walks. I really don't feel like walking around our neighborhood without her and am trying to go to the gym more regularly, but I'm really missing my daily steps. I've also been trying to find exercises classes of interest at the gym and motivate myself to work out more at home on my own, but not much success there. Any suggestions?! Thanks.

Replies

• RubyDarling
    RubyDarling Posts: 171 Member
    Options
    So sorry to read about your pupper :'(

If you're tech savvy, there are apps that turn walking/running into games - 'The Walk' and 'Zombies, Run!' can both be used while walking. I guess even 'Pokemon Go' would give you an excuse to get out and about too.
  • NorthCascades
    NorthCascades Posts: 10,970 Member
    Options
    I'm so sorry.
  • blobby10
    blobby10 Posts: 357 Member
    Options
    Had the same problem after putting our 14 year old lab to sleep last May. I still walk/jog to the gym but lose out on another 4000 steps wandering the streets with the dog. I just try and force myself to walk round the block but more often than not, stay in the warm and dry and tell myself I will get out more when its lighter in the evenings ................. :-)
  • missysippy930
    missysippy930 Posts: 2,577 Member
    Options
    I’m so sorry for your loss.
    My dog is my walking companion. We are having very cold weather here and it won’t be getting above zero F for the next 3 days, with dangerous wind chills in the -50F range, actual temps as low as -35F. The last few days, (wind chills only in the minus teens range) he is unable to be out for more than 5 minutes. His little paws can’t take the cold. Any walking I’m doing is without my buddy. I can only imagine your loss. So sorry.
  • CrazyComicLady
    CrazyComicLady Posts: 98 Member
    Options
    Im so sorry about your dog. We lost ours a few years back and it was devastating, still miss him. I tried contacting a rescue shelter after I lost mine asking if I could volunteer since it was just down the road, unfortunately that rescue never got back to me. But it’s maybe worth a try if you have one close to you. =) my mother and I used to just walk around befriending other people’s dogs for a while till we eventually got a new doggo.
  • callsitlikeiseeit
    callsitlikeiseeit Posts: 8,627 Member
    edited January 2019
    Options
    losing a fur baby is heartbreaking. i am so sorry for your loss.

when you are ready, go to the shelter and see about finding a new pup for your family. especially a mid age or older one, who are adopted less frequently, and will LOVE to go on walks with you <3

i adopted rylie, a jack russell yorkie mix (which means hes part demon dog lol), a few weeks after i lost my beloved renji (mini schnauzer). Hes no renji, but in his own, schizophrenic way, he helped me heal. We also have 2 other dogs -an 18 year old standard poodle and an 8 year old german shepherd.
  • tcunbeliever
    tcunbeliever Posts: 8,219 Member
    Options
    Pokemon Go

It's kind of like having pets, but without all the heartache of losing them.
  • Lounmoun
    Lounmoun Posts: 8,426 Member
    Options
    I set a timer for 30 minutes to 1 hour and walk around my house when I don't walk outside. I listen to podcasts.
  • urloved33
    urloved33 Posts: 3,325 Member
    Options
    I'm :'(o:) so deeply sorry for your loss.
  • namelesshere
    namelesshere Posts: 334 Member
    Options
    It is hard to lose a long time companion. (hugs). The best way to honor her is to go to the nearest shelter and volunteer to walk some of their dogs. When the time is right, you will be able to open your heart to another.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,973 Member
    Options
    denisek3 wrote: »
    Thanks all for the kind thoughts and suggestions. I've decided to volunteer at the local humane society as a dog walker. It will only be once a week (to start), but that's one more day of additional steps - plus, helping a dog escape the confines of a cage for a few hours will be therapeutic for us both. And I hope to get in a little dose of dog loving again.

Great plan :)

It took me YEARS to get over the loss of my dog. I moved right after he died and was not in a place to get another dog. And still am not, as my OH and I cannot resolve our differences regarding indoor/outdoor dogs. So we got a cat :)

But I am sure I would have gotten over the loss much faster if I had been able to get another one.
  • callsitlikeiseeit
    callsitlikeiseeit Posts: 8,627 Member
    Options
    denisek3 wrote: »
    Thanks all for the kind thoughts and suggestions. I've decided to volunteer at the local humane society as a dog walker. It will only be once a week (to start), but that's one more day of additional steps - plus, helping a dog escape the confines of a cage for a few hours will be therapeutic for us both. And I hope to get in a little dose of dog loving again.

LOVE THIS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

((((((((((((((hugs))))))))))))))))
  • PWRLFTR1
    PWRLFTR1 Posts: 324 Member
    Options
    If you're not ready to adopt another dog, have you thought about volunteering at a shelter? They could always use dog walkers.