How bad were your eating habits?

Options

Replies

• endermako
    endermako Posts: 787 Member
    Options
    RoxieDawn wrote: »
    I guess my eating habits are still terrible by others standards.

I still eat fast food, I went diet soda so I could eat more fast food. :tongue:

Same I still eat fast food, just not very often and I try to pick the lower calorie options. I definitely don't deprive myself B)
  • kimny72
    kimny72 Posts: 16,013 Member
    Options
    My eating habits were pretty decent, just not quite enough veg and fruit, and just a bit too much treat foods. And not quite enough activity. That's pretty much how you gain 20 lbs over the course of 5 years or so. My diet is pretty darn close to what it was, just a few tweaks and a lot more steps on my Fitbit!
  • Phirrgus
    Phirrgus Posts: 1,894 Member
    Options
    2450 TDEE>4500 ( that's what it felt like) calorie appetite. The math just wasn't in my favor :p

I still eat the same foods and my logging isn't super tight, but I no longer eat whole pizzas followed by 3 bowls of cereal...

I'm very fortunate in that I got disgusted with myself before I put on too much weight.
  • nooshi713
    nooshi713 Posts: 4,877 Member
    edited January 2019
    Options
    I grew up eating healthy. Most of what I eat is healthy. I do eat an occasional treat. I have eaten home cooked real food with lots of fruits and veggies my whole life.

But, I still gained weight eating too much healthy food. Intuitive eating doesnt work for me because I am always hungry. I have to count calories to keep my portions under control.
  • kds10
    kds10 Posts: 452 Member
    Options
    I had an all or nothing mentality. I would pick a day and then tell myself okay you are going to exercise a certain amount plus eat perfectly (in my head that would be low fat), so if I ate something that I considered "bad" I would use that as an excuse to blow it that day and start again the next day.

Sometimes I would be good for a day or two then blow it....this year I took up IF which seemed to click with me. I am still trying to retrain myself out of that "Low fat" mentality.
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,168 Member
    Options
    Actual nutrition from foods eaten, not that bad. (I've been vegetarian and "whole-foods-y" for decades.)

Problems: Portion sizes excessive, proportions of various foods not appropriate calorically (too much whole grain whatever is still too many calories), too many treats, and too much routine alcohol consumption (not huge amounts at a time, typically, just more often than calorically reasonable for someone my size).

I still eat mostly the same foods at a healthy weight, just different portion sizes, in different relative proportions, and treat-type (calorie-dense, not nutrition-dense) foods less frequently.
  • OhMsDiva
    OhMsDiva Posts: 1,074 Member
    Options
    i have no idea what my eating patterns were before, which is why I was 500 lbs. I just ate everything in sight I guess. I paid no attention to what I ate. Now I have learned to eat in moderation and not waste calories on food that I really do not want.
  • mbaker566
    mbaker566 Posts: 11,233 Member
    Options
    not bad. not great. just ate too much overall. nothing shocking
  • JeromeBarry1
    JeromeBarry1 Posts: 10,182 Member
    Options
    My worst eating habits were in the late 1990's, with 5 or 6 1000-calorie meals each day. I had an epiphany at midnight of Y2K and decided to live for life. I self-managed to get down from 7 extremely high calorie days each week to just 1. That 1 day was stubborn and I learned how to get through a weekend within a calorie budget after I joined mfp 3 years ago.
  • wmweeza
    wmweeza Posts: 319 Member
    edited January 2019
    Options
    I didn't graze through my kitchen...I MOWED through it. I easily ate at least 5,000 calories. Potato chips were my go to snack, and I used food as a constant entertainment device.
  • thepainmaker88
    thepainmaker88 Posts: 365 Member
    Options
    yayamom3 wrote: »
    All of my meals were fast food. I was consuming 4500+ on a daily basis and wasting a lot of money.

This was an unexpected side effect of weight loss for me! I'm actually putting significantly more money into my savings account now due to how much less I spend on junk food bingeing, fast food, restaurant meals and alcohol. I don't even bat an eye at the price of fresh produce or healthier proteins either. If I want it, I buy it. And I'm still spending significantly less at the store than I used to. Such a wonderful surprise!

Yup! Between my wife and I, we were spending sometimes 50 bucks a day on fast food!
  • confidenceinrain
    confidenceinrain Posts: 104 Member
    Options
    My eating habits weren't too bad although sometimes got a bit too happy to snack and havechips and dip before dinner etc. But I had an injury that meant I spent all of last spring taking it easy and not doing anything active, and didn't change my eating habits, and gained weight. I've now lost that weight plus ten pounds but wouldlike to lose a bit more.
  • seltzermint555
    seltzermint555 Posts: 10,742 Member
    Options
    I think my eating habits were not too terrible before. I know they are a LOT better now, but so much of that is just the influence of my husband who cooks most of our meals and is very into healthy eating and knows about all of the "vegetarian stuff" I had never liked or maybe never even tried before him (tofu, chickpeas, nutritional yeast, lentils, HUGE range of veggies cooked different ways, etc). Even at my heaviest, I cooked at home frequently and ate lots of fruits & veggies and not a ton of fried food. I did go out to eat a LOT more but I was usually that person who got a $1 McChicken and an iced coffee with loads of sugary syrup. I was consuming too many calories, sure, but I wasn't having the super sized Baconator meal or anything.

Maintaining a loss of 130+, I still have a super sweet tooth and indulge it often. I still count pizza and burgers among my favorite foods. Mostly for me it's been a case of learning how many calories are in things and avoiding some meals entirely (chain steakhouse panini with 970 calories for example)...steering clear of the lattes & mochas at Starbucks and using portion control w/ everything, but especially when having treats and desserts. I've been logging my food for almost 6 years now and I know the biggest place I run into trouble is with restaurant meals and with desserts. I can undo a great day of healthy eating with too many Oreos if I'm not careful, and I think that's where I screwed up in the past. That was also what made it so hard for me to figure out. I'd have a turkey sandwich with mustard & lettuce and cucumber slices for lunch and then get a small peppermint mocha and feel like "I didn't eat poorly today, what gives?" But looking at the numbers I was eating more calories than I do now.
  • vanityy99
    vanityy99 Posts: 2,583 Member
    edited January 2019
    Options
    The way I was eating before when I think about it now, yikes. I had “ big eyes” aka greedy eating like it was the end of the world. Eating bread (buns) with foods that didn’t make sense it’s a Portuguese thing to have bread on the side with every single thing. Eating when not hungry, just something to do.
    I’d have KFC, a poutine full of gravy and thick cheese ( yummy) with a chicken sandwich with it, now ill have either or, not both. My coffees were so fulll of sugar. I was putting everything in my body and a lot of it.

Portion is everything. I’m surprised I was only five pounds overweight according to the BMI seriously felt morbidly obese and unhealthy.
  • Fatty_Nuff
    Fatty_Nuff Posts: 273 Member
    Options
    For me, there is no "were". My eating habits are bad. My urge to overeat is the fundamental cause of my weight problem. Not too many carbs, not night eating, I just tend to eat too much. It's a constant and daily struggle that for me at least, will never go away.
  • thepainmaker88
    thepainmaker88 Posts: 365 Member
    Options
    Fatty_Nuff wrote: »
    For me, there is no "were". My eating habits are bad. My urge to overeat is the fundamental cause of my weight problem. Not too many carbs, not night eating, I just tend to eat too much. It's a constant and daily struggle that for me at least, will never go away.

That's a sad attitude, anyone can change their behavior with the right motivation.