Help! I binge eat after working out 😭😭

Options
Anyone have some tips for this problem ? I actually lost more weight after not doing the gym for a month cuz I used to binge eat after a workout so i ended up staying the same weight...until i stopped goin to the gym and stopped bing eating as much.

Replies

• MichelleSilverleaf
    MichelleSilverleaf Posts: 2,028 Member
    Options
    Perhaps your deficit is too high, or you're not getting enough protein or fiber, or you're being too restrictive and exercise is drumming up more appetite. Hard to know without knowing more about your current deficit and stats and such.
  • Teabythesea_
    Teabythesea_ Posts: 559 Member
    Options
    Are you eating before working out? If you're not, I'd suggest doing that so you don't become as hungry during and after. If you are then my suggestion would be to bring a snack with you to the gym. You can eat that immediately after your workout so you're not as hungry when you get home and not as likely to binge.
  • vanityy99
    vanityy99 Posts: 2,583 Member
    Options
    What do you eat before workout?
  • Opalprincess99
    Opalprincess99 Posts: 88 Member
    Options
    Danp wrote: »
    Been there.

When I was at my heaviest I'd smash through a workout then be ravenous and devour 2x or 3x the number of calories afterwards. In the end I had to delay my fitness goals until I had my eating under control as it was too much to try and tackle both at once.

So I temporarily stopped the gym and working out and just concentrated solely on eating in a calorie deficit. Once I had lost a decent amount of weight this way and my eating habits felt properly in place and under control I started to add in activity slowly. Walking at first, then cycling and running and swimming and so on gradually increasing the level and intensity. This allowed me to start to make fitness improvements while having very little if any impact on my rate of weight loss.

This was exactly what my point was ! Thank you for the advice . It was awful cuz I didn't realize why I wasnt having results for 2 whole months of working out 3 to 5 times a week . so i stopped and then focused on diet and realized what my problem was ....the horrible binge eating after my workouts !!!!! :0 mostly cuz i worked all day then worked out amd out of frustration or exhaustion or something in between i just decided to go crazy in the kitchen.
    I hope i can be like u someday ❤
  • Opalprincess99
    Options
    Are you eating before working out? If you're not, I'd suggest doing that so you don't become as hungry during and after. If you are then my suggestion would be to bring a snack with you to the gym. You can eat that immediately after your workout so you're not as hungry when you get home and not as likely to binge.

The other day I ate a few hours before and i definitley found myself hungry afterwards and the drive home was hard to get thru without stopping and getting fast food. But i made it home and then binged a lot.
    So ill try to bring snacks next time 😊
  • Opalprincess99
    Options
    Perhaps your deficit is too high, or you're not getting enough protein or fiber, or you're being too restrictive and exercise is drumming up more appetite. Hard to know without knowing more about your current deficit and stats and such.

I aim for 1600 a day and I'm 5'6 230
  • Opalprincess99
    Options
    vanityy99 wrote: »
    What do you eat before workout?

Most the time its after i am at work and i usually won't eat a lot before cuz i take my lunch much earlier in the day and i try to rush to the gym
  • MichelleSilverleaf
    MichelleSilverleaf Posts: 2,028 Member
    Options

Well for what' it's worth I'm the same height, seven pounds lighter and losing on 2070 cal/day. No current exercise but lightly active.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,898 Member
    Options

I'm your height and would be hangry on base calories. What percentage of the calories that you earned from exercise did you eat back?
  • Lolinloggen
    Lolinloggen Posts: 463 Member
    Options
    Have a small bite to eat before you workout?
    When you want to binge first have a lot of water
    Just some ideas
  • BarbellCowgirl
    BarbellCowgirl Posts: 1,271 Member
    Options
    I need to eat within a few mins after my workouts or I find myself in the same situation. I usually have to ignore the fact that I’m still feeling a bit sick/exhausted from the workout and just go ahead eat or drink something. If I wait until I feel hungry, I can eat nearly a days worth of cals in 5 mins without even thinking. Usually a small protein snack with some carbs(chocolate milk, latte, cheese and apple, 1 oz trail mix, etc) will curb that. Perhaps start packing a snack to eat immediately after your workout on the way home. It sounds like you’re going a long time between meals and are truly hungry.
    And also evaluate if your calorie deficit is too steep. I’m 5’5” and 175lbs and lose on 1800 cals/day.
  • leahkathleen13
    leahkathleen13 Posts: 272 Member
    Options
    I did this too, now I am sure to drink a ton of water right after the workout and have a meal ready to go too. Timing allows this , since I work out in am and then have an early lunch. It was worse for me when I was eating too little. There’s a fine line for me between triggering the appetite into overdrive with exercise and not losing because of no deficit.
    I feel your pain I have the same problem.
  • SpyLuna
    SpyLuna Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    I read somewhere that this is common for shorter women. I'm sorry I don't remember where the study came from but it happens to me and that's why I researched it to find out why! I found that if I do HIIT exercise this goes away most of the time. Even 15 minutes of HIIT was enough to stop the cravings.