How bad were your eating habits?

Options
13»

Replies

• carakirkey
    carakirkey Posts: 199 Member
    Options
    I "thought" I was healthy. Even worked at a health food store for awhile. Now its clear to me that a smoothie and a meal is too many calories. That "organic" chips are still just chips and full of calories. I've always eaten veggies, cooked at home. But I would eat snacks mindlessly, with no regards for portion. MFP has been the best tool to stay on track and get a serious reality check!
  • kds10
    kds10 Posts: 452 Member
    Options
    I remember some days picking up thru the drive thru going to work a greasy breakfast sandwich with a hashbrown, then at lunch a greasy fast food burger with fries and a dessert then at home eating fast food again at supper - KFC or something like that. That was around 2.5 years ago and I weighed the heaviest I have been, close to just about 40 lbs heavier than I am now.
  • Danp
    Danp Posts: 1,561 Member
    Options
    My eating habits were very skewed towards the weekends.

During the Mon-Fri working week I'd be good and by good I mean probably ate close to or slightly under maintenance. Then because I'd been good all week I'd convince myself I could safely relax and enjoy my weekends which meant eating probably close to 12,00-16,000 calories between Friday night and Sunday night.

So I'd probably rack up between 0 and maybe 500 calorie deficit during the week and create a 4000-8000 calorie surplus over the weekend. It was crazy and I was straight up delusional.
  • AllSpiceNice
    AllSpiceNice Posts: 120 Member
    Options
    jemhh wrote: »
    Fatty_Nuff wrote: »
    For me, there is no "were". My eating habits are bad. My urge to overeat is the fundamental cause of my weight problem. Not too many carbs, not night eating, I just tend to eat too much. It's a constant and daily struggle that for me at least, will never go away.

That's a sad attitude, anyone can change their behavior with the right motivation.

Changing your behavior doesn't always mean that the struggle disappears. It's been 4+ years for me and I have to consciously choose not to overeat every single day. It's extremely rare that I eat anything, from brussels sprouts to steak to chocolate cake, and don't want to eat enough that I feel stuffed. Do I do it? Mostly no. But realizing it's a lifelong thing I'll deal with is not a bad attitude. It's just reality.

That’s exactly my experience Jemhh...thanks for stating it so well!
  • ssarzen1976
    ssarzen1976 Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    Honestly? They were horrid. It was mostly eating bad take away (because i was just lazy).
    In addition to that drinking a lot of sugary drinks or more alcohol than usual.
  • whatalazyidiot
    whatalazyidiot Posts: 343 Member
    Options
    Oh hell. Honestly, someone who ate as much as me should have been at least twice my size. It wasn't a lot in each meal (not a volume eater unless I'm snacking), but 99% of my diet was either fried food, fast food, or sugar, sugar and tons of sugar. Almost no fruits and vegetables, never had whole grains, if I ate at home it was 100% something frozen that I microwaved or pizza. I basically grabbed something every hour or so throughout the day.

I think maybe I was within or close to maintenance at least a few days a week, just because I was the same weight (about 120lbs overweight) for seriously like 10 years, without ever going above a certain number. I think it just evened out. But definitely way too much to ever lose anything.
  • dontcallmecandi
    dontcallmecandi Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    Ugh it’s embarrassing but it went like this:

Breakfast: drive thru bagel shop for a chocolate chip bagel with cream cheese. Energy drink
    Lunch: soup or sandwich from cafe in building, chips and cookie
    Dinner: Taco Bell/Take our Buffalo Wild Wings/McDonalds or homemade nachos

Snack: 2-3 cupcakes or brownies or cookies.

And I still wonder how I’ve managed to gain 100+lbs in about 5 years...
  • seltzermint555
    seltzermint555 Posts: 10,742 Member
    edited January 2019
    Options
    Oh hell. Honestly, someone who ate as much as me should have been at least twice my size. It wasn't a lot in each meal (not a volume eater unless I'm snacking), but 99% of my diet was either fried food, fast food, or sugar, sugar and tons of sugar. Almost no fruits and vegetables, never had whole grains, if I ate at home it was 100% something frozen that I microwaved or pizza. I basically grabbed something every hour or so throughout the day.

I think maybe I was within or close to maintenance at least a few days a week, just because I was the same weight (about 120lbs overweight) for seriously like 10 years, without ever going above a certain number. I think it just evened out. But definitely way too much to ever lose anything.

I hear you on that same weight thing. I weighed between 260-275 lb from age 20-24, lost some weight (down to 220s), then was back at 260-275 from age 26-30. Seriously every single time I weighed in those years it would be 266, 270, 274, repeat. That's why it took hitting 300+ at 31 to make me sit up and take notice (I gained rapidly at a new sedentary high stress job). I was so comfy with that former range. Even when I first started losing from my highest weight, I stalled around 260-275 for MANY months! When I joined MFP, I weighed 272 and was so excited to be down from 300+ but really had low expectations due to feeling like my body just "picked" that range somehow. I didn't understand CICO then!

Actually I am feeling sort of the same way now - just the range is now 165-175 instead, for literally years. I'll take it...but it's still kinda weird to me!
  • suziecue25
    suziecue25 Posts: 289 Member
    Options
    The composition of my food diet was quite good I think but my downfall in latter years has been......

Portion sizes too large
    Decrease in movement
    Too much alcohol on a regular basis
  • Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 24,854 Member
    edited January 2019
    Options
    Just curious were you guys are all coming from ... like how bad were your eating habits before you came here to change them?

Not bad at all. :)

When I went on a mission to lose weight, I dropped the handful of cashews I was eating in the afternoons (those things have a lot of calories!), I reduced my evening meal serving size, and I dropped one of my late evening snacks.

I was eating probably about 2200 calories a day which was just enough to cause me to gain ever-so-slowly.

• gallicinvasion
    gallicinvasion Posts: 1,015 Member
    Options
    I got to a point where I was eating restaurant food for every meal. Two breakfast sandwiches from Tim hortons or Dunkin every morning, two burgers fries and nuggets from McDonald’s most lunches, and takeout for dinner (tacos, pizza, Chinese.) I was truly addicted. Then I took the advice of a friend and started going to a behavioral therapist who specialized in disordered eating. Thank god.
  • Lounmoun
    Lounmoun Posts: 8,426 Member
    Options
    Less fruits and vegetables. Much higher sodium. Less protein. More calories than I needed.
    I still eat a lot of the same foods. I did not drastically change my diet just changed amounts.
  • whatalazyidiot
    whatalazyidiot Posts: 343 Member
    Options

I hear you on that same weight thing. I weighed between 260-275 lb from age 20-24, lost some weight (down to 220s), then was back at 260-275 from age 26-30. Seriously every single time I weighed in those years it would be 266, 270, 274, repeat. That's why it took hitting 300+ at 31 to make me sit up and take notice (I gained rapidly at a new sedentary high stress job). I was so comfy with that former range. Even when I first started losing from my highest weight, I stalled around 260-275 for MANY months! When I joined MFP, I weighed 272 and was so excited to be down from 300+ but really had low expectations due to feeling like my body just "picked" that range somehow. I didn't understand CICO then!

Actually I am feeling sort of the same way now - just the range is now 165-175 instead, for literally years. I'll take it...but it's still kinda weird to me!

Yes! I was honestly surprised because I ate enough to be more than the 250-260 I always found myself at. And you do get comfortable - you feel ok at that size because you're used to it, you know what size clothes you wear and where to buy them. It's that much harder to make the decision to do something about it.
  • Deviette
    Deviette Posts: 979 Member
    edited January 2019
    Options
    I just didn't care about it. And I was muscular, my weight didn't matter.

I worked out a lot, and ate a lot of home cooked food, the very occasional meal out and takeaway. I ate what most people give the advice to be healthy. I didn't eat a lot of desserts.

But basically I just ate too much of everything.

- I'd have the whole pizza because I was hungry.
    - I'd eyeball the portions of rice, pasta, potatoes and well I was hungry today, I'll just add a little more.
    - I'd eat lots of fruit, lots of veg.
    - I mean, olive oil is healthy right? So it doesn't matter how much I drizzle on this salad.
    - Fatty cuts of meat? Delicious!
    - Nuts? YUM!

You get the point

I gained weight by regularly and consistently eating just that little bit more than I burnt.
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    edited January 2019
    Options
    My eating habits were fine - my period of rapid weight gain coincided with eating 95% good home cooked food and 5% hospital food.
    I just far too much as I was injured/bored/depressed and inactive apart from a couple of miles walking on crutches most days and rehab exercises.
  • workinonit1956
    workinonit1956 Posts: 1,043 Member
    Options
    The actual foods I ate were fine, I still eat them but in more reasonable quantities and not constantly.
  • Phirrgus
    Phirrgus Posts: 1,894 Member
    Options
    It was all portion control for me. My last "Aha!" moment came while getting a 2nd (or 3rd??) plate of my wife's spaghetti, and I realized I couldn't remember the last time I stopped at only one plate, be it Spaghetti or salmon or eggs...I just love to eat. but I'd love to be healthy and hang with the grandkids a few years longer even more.
  • fitoverfortymom
    fitoverfortymom Posts: 3,452 Member
    Options
    Sometimes I ate drive-thru fast food for three meals a day, super sized, with regular soda. Plus a few more Pepsi 20oz throughout the day. Candy bars and chips whenever I wanted. I would eat healthy foods, too, just so many calories.