Crossfit and gym for burning fat?

Options

Replies

• Phirrgus
    Phirrgus Posts: 1,894 Member
    Options
    Doing the conversion, you are 5'8", 140 pounds?

You don't have any weight to lose! What is your goal?

Lose fat, mostly. I dont care so much if I weigh 100 or 200 pounds if I can get my fat percentage down. I reconsodered my choices and fogure 1200 calories to be a better alternative than 600.

hey jodie - I get the impression you equate calories and food with fat and "bad" so to speak. That's only true in the remotest sense, as in, if you eat too much, or eat too little.

Your body has to have a certain amount of calories to operate properly and stay healthy. "Burning fat" (I'm not fond of that term) and building muscle, having that nice healthy glow etc - that's not going to happen if you don't properly fuel your body.

Listen to the folks here please.
  • Redordeadhead
    Redordeadhead Posts: 1,188 Member
    Options
    That's not how it works. You can't eat a surplus on 1 or 2 days and gain muscle, and then eat at a massive deficit on other days and lose fat. It's not a day-to-day process, our bodies simply don't work like that.
  • jodienovell
    jodienovell Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    Look, I hear all the thungs you're saying. But I just. I don't think I can do 1500 calories. I feel like 1200 is the highest I should go, otherwise the weightloss will be minimal.. I refuse to believe my TDEE is over 1700 and I refuse to believe I'm exercising hard enough that it really counts for more than maybe 500-600 calories per week. If I don't feel sore, super tired or generally exhausted after a workout, I didn't go hard enough. And that's the case 90% of the time, and I'm working on it. I just need to do it consistently so I don't end up losing only muscle. I know you can't gain muscle on a deficit but I can try to maintain it as best as I can. I'm really scared of ending up very skinnyfat. My fat percentage is already really high (shown in the body scan, it really is higher than average) and I look way way way too big for my weight. So I just need to stick with this
  • jodienovell
    Options
    JBanx256 wrote: »
    Look, I hear all the thungs you're saying. But I just. I don't think I can do 1500 calories. I feel like 1200 is the highest I should go, otherwise the weightloss will be minimal.. I refuse to believe my TDEE is over 1700 and I refuse to believe I'm exercising hard enough that it really counts for more than maybe 500-600 calories per week. If I don't feel sore, super tired or generally exhausted after a workout, I didn't go hard enough. And that's the case 90% of the time, and I'm working on it. I just need to do it consistently so I don't end up losing only muscle. I know you can't gain muscle on a deficit but I can try to maintain it as best as I can. I'm really scared of ending up very skinnyfat. My fat percentage is already really high (shown in the body scan, it really is higher than average) and I look way way way too big for my weight. So I just need to stick with this

You say "you FEEL" but here is the things...feelings aren't facts. They just aren't.

I VERY rarely "feel sore, super tired or generally exhausted after a workout." That does NOT mean the workout wasn't good or that I'm not making progress.

And as we have pointed out, if you limit yourself so strictly on calories, you WILL lose muscle.

You end your comment with, "so I just need to stick with this." So please tell me what was the point of starting multiple threads asking for advice if you're going to refuse to take advice from people who, dare I say, know a helluva lot more about it than you do? You're making a truly bad decision. That's not an opinion. It's not a FEELING. It's a fact. But hey, whatever, it's your life.

I DONT KNOW. Im just,, confused. About a lot of things. Whenever I look stuff up on google or whatever the info is super conflicting. I feel bad about myself and needed some opinions. But I guess Im sorry then for wasting everyones time
  • collectingblues
    collectingblues Posts: 2,541 Member
    Options
    puffbrat wrote: »
    Do you have a history of eating disorders, @jodienovell?

Ask me, no, ask my mom, probably. I'm just gonna go ahead and say that I'm AWARE that my eating habits are not great and never have been. I was a fat child and I mean genuinely, BMI 25+ child so I took it upon myself to change it. I know I have issues but I have never gotten a diagnosis for anything so I refuse to speak of myself as anything other than a normal dieter.

Not getting a diagnosis does not mean you don't have a problem. What you are proposing is dangerous.

To put this in terms you might understand - that large of deficit on non-gym days WILL without a doubt cause your performance in the gym to suffer regardless of how much eat the 2 gym days a week. Eating in a small surplus 2 days a week will not magically lead to muscle gain when you are in such a large deficit the other days. Our bodies work on long-term trends. Your body isn't going to say "Oh a 100 calorie surplus, build muscles today! And tomorrow back to fat loss!" Your overall trend for the week/month(s) will be a huge deficit leading to loss of fat AND muscle as well as other health problems, which is why your gym performance will suffer regardless of how eat on the gym days. Please seriously reconsider doing a moderate calorie deficit or even eating within maintenance and doing recomp.

This is what I mean. My TDEE according to this is line 1600 calories, so doing 1500 daily will pretty much lead to nothing

You said you exercise 5 days a week... You have to take that into account. That would at least put you into the moderately active on that site.

I mean.. I might not exercise hard enough so i dont want to risk it

With the kindest possible intention, you have some disordered thinking about diet and exercise. You need more assistance than random people on the internet can give.

i know

Please talk to your PCP about a referral to a dietitian and a therapist.
  • quiksylver296
    quiksylver296 Posts: 28,442 Member
    Options

You say "you FEEL" but here is the things...feelings aren't facts. They just aren't.

I VERY rarely "feel sore, super tired or generally exhausted after a workout." That does NOT mean the workout wasn't good or that I'm not making progress.

And as we have pointed out, if you limit yourself so strictly on calories, you WILL lose muscle.

You end your comment with, "so I just need to stick with this." So please tell me what was the point of starting multiple threads asking for advice if you're going to refuse to take advice from people who, dare I say, know a helluva lot more about it than you do? You're making a truly bad decision. That's not an opinion. It's not a FEELING. It's a fact. But hey, whatever, it's your life.

I DONT KNOW. Im just,, confused. About a lot of things. Whenever I look stuff up on google or whatever the info is super conflicting. I feel bad about myself and needed some opinions. But I guess Im sorry then for wasting everyones time

Google is not your friend when it comes to smart weight loss. Did you read this thread when I posted it earlier?

Read it. Do those things. Succeed.

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/1080242/a-guide-to-get-you-started-on-your-path-to-sexypants/p1
  • jodienovell
    Options

Google is not your friend when it comes to smart weight loss. Did you read this thread when I posted it earlier?

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/1080242/a-guide-to-get-you-started-on-your-path-to-sexypants/p1

I did read it
  • quiksylver296
    quiksylver296 Posts: 28,442 Member
    Options

I did read it

The author, @sidesteel, is a certified trainer and is awesome at what he does. That thread is pure gold when you're looking for the right way to do things.
  • JBanx256
    JBanx256 Posts: 1,473 Member
    Options

You asked for opinions. You got opinions. You also got facts. Lots of them. And you're choosing to ignore them.

As @quicksylver296 pointed out, random Google searches aren't gonna help you on this. Remember, there are plenty of websites out there that will tell you the earth is flat and Elvis is still alive.
  • jasonpoihegatama
    jasonpoihegatama Posts: 496 Member
    Options
    Cool crossfit was going bad with poor form and injuries. You should ask your crossfit trainer as 1000 cals is low for someone active even on days off
  • 7elizamae
    7elizamae Posts: 758 Member
    Options
    CrossFit is about being strong and healthy -- not just thin.

I agree with the suggestion of speaking to your CrossFit coach if that seems doable. Also, get yourself in to your physician and ask him/her what you asked us. There are a lot of people who can help you get on track with healthy habits. You can eat properly (enough calories) and still be fit!
  • musicfan68
    musicfan68 Posts: 1,125 Member
    Options
    You need to be referred to a therapist. Obviously you won't listen to us and you have very disordered thinking that is going to hurt you. You need to fix your thought processes first.
  • estherdragonbat
    estherdragonbat Posts: 5,283 Member
    Options
    Actually, they usually don't. You burn body fat in a calorie deficit. You build muscle in a calorie surplus. Lifting while in a deficit helps you hang onto the muscle mass you've already got, but (apart from some possible modest newbie gains), you're not going to build muscle while losing fat.

Though, of course, if you burn fat and preserve muscle, your muscle mass percentage will increase. But not the amount of your muscle tissue.
  • jasonpoihegatama
    Options
    Actually, they usually don't. You burn body fat in a calorie deficit. You build muscle in a calorie surplus. Lifting while in a deficit helps you hang onto the muscle mass you've already got, but (apart from some possible modest newbie gains), you're not going to build muscle while losing fat.

Though, of course, if you burn fat and preserve muscle, your muscle mass percentage will increase. But not the amount of your muscle tissue.

So how about bodybuilders the eat 5000 cals and the body is muscle?
  • jasonpoihegatama
    Options
    If you don't eat enough calories then your body will eat itself and eat the muscle! also slow the metabolism and any food you eat will store as fat! then you will start to feel all the side effect of low cals. Sure you will lose weight in starvation.