post workout recovery shake?

Options
I am looking for a pre-made post workout recovery shake. I see that Costco sells some Premier Nutrition shakes, but I was under the impression that I needed some carbs for post workout, and these shakes only have 5 grams. Can anyone recommend a brand specifically for post-workout?

Replies

• Sharonbed4d
    Options
    I prefer to make my own protein shakes and normally I put in some frozen fruit which provides carbs.
  • taso42_DELETED
    taso42_DELETED Posts: 3,394 Member
    Options
    Off the shelf - ON "Oats & Whey" (comes in powder), EAS Myoplex (powder or ready-to-drink), or Muscle Milk.
  • kmumansky
    kmumansky Posts: 119
    Options
    a few years ago a lot of the health and fitness magazines were saying chocolate milk! I typically will buy a half gallon of the Skim Plus brand and drink 8 oz of that. OR I make my own shake with Muscle Milk Light...but that's not pre-made, they do sell a pre-made one but they don't taste good at all.
  • lawtechie
    lawtechie Posts: 708 Member
    Options
    I absolutely LOVE Pure Protein Chocolate. Moreso after a work out you want to refresh your muscles, and not have TOO much carbs -- which is what you hopefully were burning during your workout. Unless your training for a marathon you don't need much carbs.

I'd choose a Snickers bar if you're looking for carb energy after workout. That has a lil bit of protein too.
  • Hirundo
    Hirundo Posts: 148 Member
    Options
    Eat a fruit with your prot shake ?
  • Rworthy
    Rworthy Posts: 271 Member
    Options
    I wouldn't EVER recommend a Snickers! lol. I have been drinking G3 Gatorade Recovery drink. Only 12 g of sugar, which you actually need after a workout, and 16 grams of protein that is digested instantly. It tastes better than the chocolate/vanilla varieties which can become unbearable after a while.
  • em1976
    em1976 Posts: 119 Member
    Options
    I make my own,protein powder,lite cottage cheese,splenda,trim milk and either frozen berries or banana.Very cheap.If I want more consistency i add either ice cubes or if my calories allow ; yoghurt.I know you asked for pre made,i used to use them till I found ideas on here for homemade.
  • duckpond11
    duckpond11 Posts: 197 Member
    Options
    a few years ago a lot of the health and fitness magazines were saying chocolate milk! I typically will buy a half gallon of the Skim Plus brand and drink 8 oz of that. OR I make my own shake with Muscle Milk Light...but that's not pre-made, they do sell a pre-made one but they don't taste good at all.

chocolate milk!!! what a great tip! I googled "chocolate milk post recovery" and found that indeed, this appears to be a perfectly fine post-workout recovery drink. And I won't have to mail order it :). Thanks!
  • Rworthy
    Options
    Here's another option: http://lifeway.net/Products/OrganicKefir/LowFatKefir/LowFatRaspberry.aspx

I would drink 1 1/2 servings to get enough protein. And it's a probiotic so that's also supposed to help you lose weight.
  • Rworthy
    Options

chocolate milk!!! what a great tip! I googled "chocolate milk post recovery" and found that indeed, this appears to be a perfectly fine post-workout recovery drink. And I won't have to mail order it :). Thanks!
    Chocolate milk has way too much sugar and not enough protein.
  • killagb
    killagb Posts: 3,280 Member
    Options

It's a completely fine post workout recovery drink, perhaps you should read on the subject before dismissing it.
  • Noonoo757
    Noonoo757 Posts: 280 Member
    Options
    Off the shelf - ON "Oats & Whey" (comes in powder), EAS Myoplex (powder or ready-to-drink), or Muscle Milk.

love the EAS Myoplex and the flavors are yummy and not a lot of sugar like some of the others you can buy it in the little container to drink on the go or you can buy the packs to ready mix with water or milk :)
  • melaniecheeks
    melaniecheeks Posts: 6,349 Member
    Options
    Another chocolate milk fan here - a low sugar low at version if possible, but the ready packaged cartons are brilliant to keep in my gym bag.
  • killagb
    Options
    Another chocolate milk fan here - a low sugar low at version if possible, but the ready packaged cartons are brilliant to keep in my gym bag.

I usually drink 16oz. post workout made with 1% Organic milk, then I use just 2 tbsps of chocolate milk mix(they usually say 2 tbsp per 8oz, but 2 is enough for 16oz easily)
  • Rworthy
    Options

It's a completely fine post workout recovery drink, perhaps you should read on the subject before dismissing it.
    Perhaps YOU should!

Chocolate milk: Serving size: 1 cup
    Calories: 192
    Protein: 9 grams
    Sugar: 24 grams
    Saturated fat: 4 GRAMS (about 1/3 of your daily allowance)

G3 Post workout recovery: Serving size: 16 oz.
    Calories: 120
    Protein: 16 grams (*almost DOUBLE chocolate milk)
    Sugar: 12 grams (*1/2 that of chocolate milk)
    Saturated fat: 0 (*400% less than chocolate milk)

Lifeway kefir yogurt drink: Serving size: 1 cup
    Calories: 140
    Protein: 11 grams
    Sugar: 20 grams
    Saturated fat: 1.5 grams

Conclusion: Never is it good to eat a bunch of saturated fats after a workout. Nor should you get half the protein and double the sugar and call it a post-recovery workout. I HAVE looked it up, maybe you should.
  • killagb
    Options

Perhaps YOU should!

Chocolate milk: Serving size: 1 cup
    Calories: 192
    Protein: 9 grams
    Sugar: 24 grams
    Saturated fat: 4 GRAMS (about 1/3 of your daily allowance)

G3 Post workout recovery: Serving size: 16 oz.
    Calories: 120
    Protein: 16 grams (*almost DOUBLE chocolate milk)
    Sugar: 12 grams (*1/2 that of chocolate milk)
    Saturated fat: 0 (*400% less than chocolate milk)

Lifeway kefir yogurt drink: Serving size: 1 cup
    Calories: 140
    Protein: 11 grams
    Sugar: 20 grams
    Saturated fat: 1.5 grams

Conclusion: Never is it good to eat a bunch of saturated fats after a workout. Nor should you get half the protein and double the sugar and call it a post-recovery workout. I HAVE looked it up, maybe you should.

It's not the BEST post workout drink, but it IS a good one. That's the whole point. It's sure not stopping me from achieving results...as I've lost 14lbs in the last 45 days.
  • duckpond11
    duckpond11 Posts: 197 Member
    Options
    well - there is actual science that supports using chocolate milk as a post workout recovery drink. And the price is right. I think that sugar can be good for recovery after a workout - at any rate, their seem to be multiple studies to back up cheap and easy chocolate milk. Kefir does sound like a good option too.

Here was an interesting write up I found when I googled:
    http://www.bodyrecomposition.com/muscle-gain/an-objective-comparison-of-chocolate-milk-and-surge-recovery.html
  • taso42_DELETED
    taso42_DELETED Posts: 3,394 Member
    Options
    Sheesh, take a chill pill. A low-fat one if you must.

Post workout is actually a perfect time to have some high GI carbs like what you'd get from chocolate milk. You can also very easily mix it with non-fat or low-fat milk if the milk fat doesn't fit into your budget.

Anyway, this is a bit of a moot point since the OP was asking for ready-made drinks.
  • GreenLifeGirl
    GreenLifeGirl Posts: 381 Member
    Options
    Ah! Chocolate milk....yum. Love chocolate milk. Just be careful about what kind you get...check those labels! Most brands of premade chocolate milk have tons of fillers like high fructose corn syrup, corn starch, etc. Yuck and bad for you!

We have a local dairy that sells in our area...all it has in is cane sugar, chocoa, salt, and a natural based-thickener.

Hatcher Dairy Farm - great chocolate milk!
    http://www.hatcherfamilydairy.com/default.aspx?tabid=84

vs.

Purity brand chocolate is considered a favorite and very popular...corn syrup, high fructose corn syrup, AND corn starch
    http://www.caloricious.com/product/21861/chocolate_milk/purity_chocolate_milk

If you do chocolate milk....find the good stuff! = )
  • kmumansky
    kmumansky Posts: 119
    Options

Glad to help :) as a chocolate lover I find that using it as a reward/recovery drink also motivates me to work out since I will not allow myself to drink it unless it's after a workout. lol