Gained Body Fat While on Calorie Deficit

Options
I’ve female 5’9 and trying to lose weight and tone. I’ve been using MyFitnessPal to calculate my calories for about a month now and I take in 1300 calories a day. I recent bought a scale to track my weight loss and BMI and all has been going well except this morning I somehow gained a pound of body fat and loss muscle according to my scale. I weightlift 3 times a week and do cardio 5 times. How is it possible that I gained weight? My Macros are 30 carbs, 40 protein, 30 fat. Am I doing something wrong?1tnpkv53dcao.png
r6b4cmae9pon.png

Replies

• endermako
    endermako Posts: 787 Member
    Options
    Composition scales are not the most accurate. They can track a trend over time however, and that's what i use mine for. If you are weighing everything and tracking accurately with your food then there is no way you gained fat. It's water weight at the most.
  • NovusDies
    NovusDies Posts: 8,940 Member
    Options
    It takes about 3500 calories in addition to your daily maintenance calories to gain a pound of fat. It is helpful to remember that in the early stages of weight loss when you step on the scale and it goes up. Even if your food log was off some it is unlikely that you ate at least 4k more calories than you realized yesterday.

• Tacklewasher
    Tacklewasher Posts: 7,122 Member
    Options
    myisha00 wrote: »
    Thanks everyone! I was aware that my scale might not be the most accurate at measuring my weight composition but I thought that it would at least remain consistent. Im bit disappointed if that is not true but glad that I did not mess something up. I was doing once a week weigh ins before but read that daily was better to get more insight in my progress. I’m going to try to continue with daily measurements to track the trends. If it drives me too crazy I’ll go back to weekly. My main issue is want to build muscle and lose fat which I’ve heard is difficult to achieve simultaneously. This is kinda why I’m not too concerned with the weight but more concerned with my body fat and muscle mass reading. I wish there was a better way to get a more accurate reading. Maybe I’ll switch using a tape measure or combination of both.

I tried using a tape. I can't get the same number twice, so am using it once a month only. I weigh daily (and get a BF% daily) because it's easy. Stand on the scale and am done, but mine is wifi so I don't even have to type numbers in. :)

• CTcutie
    CTcutie Posts: 649 Member
    Options
    You can weigh daily/every other day and use a trending app- there are several options (Happy Scale, Scelta are 2 I’ve tried). These apps are not really useful if you only weigh once a week.
  • TrishSeren
    TrishSeren Posts: 587 Member
    Options
    Body comp scales are wildly inaccurate.
  • SpyLuna
    SpyLuna Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    I read a study on those body comp scales and they are tremendously inaccurate. They are basically useless. There are local places (some places) where they have those pods and it's fairly inexpensive to use them and they are accurate.
  • SpyLuna
    SpyLuna Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    I read a study on those body comp scales and they are tremendously inaccurate. They are basically useless. There are local places (some places) where they have those pods and it's fairly inexpensive to use them and they are accurate.
  • Silentpadna
    Silentpadna Posts: 1,306 Member
    edited February 2019
    Options
    When I had my appraisal at the gym the woman told me that when you under over eat your body starts to store fat.. I was given an ideal daily calorie goal based on my body fat %, weight, height etc... It had a fancy name which I can't remember

FIFY
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    Body weight fluctuates naturally up and down, even when you're in a deficit. Scales are not accurate at measuring bodyfat...think about it...how could they be. It's a gimmick.