Calling all vegetarian/vegans!

Options
13»

Replies

• AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,432 Member
    Options
    I have yet to tell my family (other than my sister and fiance) that i am a vegetarian now. This is very new. I know my family will be weird about this as I grew up eating meat, and its a cultural norm for them. I don't really worry about how they will feel about it, but their judgements and opinions are just drama I haven't wanted to deal with yet. I just told my best friend yesterday, and she was extremely supportive, so it gave me hope for others in my life. How has everyone else dealt with this? Has anyone else struggled with family judgements? I know in my heart that what I am doing is for me, and my planet. That's all that matters, but I'm still skeptical to talk to my parents about it for some reason.

It's been a long time, but my family was surprisingly OK with it. I've been veg since 1974, when I was 18, and came from a rural working class culture (including hunting/farming being common) where no one was vegetarian (well, maybe a couple of Seventh Day Adventist families in the nearby town); also, vegetarianism was much less common in the US at all, at that point. I came home from a year at college as vegetarian.

I think it's helpful to keep calm about it, and offer to help.

I didn't come in waving a "I'm vegetarian because it's morally superior and it will save my health" flag (I'm exaggerating others' possible behavior for effect, not accusing anyone of anything, BTW). I told them that I was going to try this way of eating, and that I'd never been that big a meat fan (true), explained some reasons in a non-accusatory/non-shaming way, and calmly demonstrated by my behavior that I meant it.

Then I learned some (of what I hoped were) tasty vegetarian recipes, thinking about what they'd possibly like, and made those recipes for them. I tried to do everything reasonable so their meals, shared with me, would not be wrenched around crazily by my choices. ("If we're having meats and side veggies, I'll just eat the sides, and add the <insert veggie protein source of choice> I'm making alongside. Would anyone else like some of the <veggie protein source of choice> to try, or as a side?"

They were pretty supportive, though frankly I think they thought it was an adolescent whim . . . for the first couple of decades. ;)

My parents were pretty chill people, generally, so that helped. But other relatives were OK, too (big, social, extended family - diverse personalities). I can't guarantee that that will generalize, though, of course.

Regardless, I think it helps to be calm and matter of fact, but firm and consistent, and to wait on yourself (vs. expect others to cater) as much as possible. If we don't want drama, it's universally a bad plan to bring the drama ourselves. We may still get drama, but our best odds come from a calm approach. :)

JMO.
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,432 Member
    Options
    Y'all eating those black bean tacos/wraps: Chunks of sweet potato in there. So good! True for lentils, too, but especially with black beans. Give it a try.
  • GottaBurnEmAll
    GottaBurnEmAll Posts: 7,722 Member
    Options
    @jacalynrose11 I eat a lot of string cheese, cottage cheese, feta cheese and eggs for protein but am too thinking about cutting out dairy slowly. I've been bloated randomly so I may have to do an elimination diet to see what's causing it, maybe it's the dairy.

I just googled and see articles mentioning oats, almonds, quinoa, pumpkin seeds, flax seeds & peanuts as high protein foods.

@janejellyroll @zeejane03 Which beans do you recommend? I use a lot of black beans but wanted to try something new.

I use a LOT of beans in my diet, usually for lunch. I eat lunch usually at school, or at work.

Something I truly love to do is make "sandwich filling" with garbanzo beans. I mash them with a potato masher and prepare it as I would have prepared a chicken salad using onions, celery, or any kind of veggies for color and texture diced really small, and adding mayo (I use vegenaise for taste preference), and seasonings. Super easy and super easy to take on the go and has lots of protein!

I make up a "taco" sandwich filler using black beans, taco seasonings, and texmex inspired ingredients too (corn, onions, avocado, tomato, quinoa, etc) and usually eat that as a wrap with plain greek yogurt and salsa. yum!

:blush:

I made a "taco sandwich" but with lentils. It was a lot like yours and it was delicious. I need to do that again!

We do lentil nachos sometimes. I find it hard to limit myself with them, so they're a rare thing.

Do you have a recipe? That sounds really great

Not really. I just wing making taco flavored lentils, then spoon them over corn chips and melt cheese on them.
  • GottaBurnEmAll
    GottaBurnEmAll Posts: 7,722 Member
    Options
    AnnPT77 wrote: »
    Y'all eating those black bean tacos/wraps: Chunks of sweet potato in there. So good! True for lentils, too, but especially with black beans. Give it a try.

For me, it's butternut squash and black beans. All day long. Same vibe, I think.
  • allieeveryday
    allieeveryday Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    AnnPT77 wrote: »
    Y'all eating those black bean tacos/wraps: Chunks of sweet potato in there. So good!

YES. Cover those suckers in cumin and chili powder and a little bit of garlic powder, and roast in the oven. *chef's kiss*
  • jacalynrose11
    jacalynrose11 Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    sylviez8kkl0.jpg
    Thanks everyone for suggestions and support!
    Yesterday was taco tuesday, and I tried tempeh for the first time! It was really good!
    <3
  • anetkastefaniak
    anetkastefaniak Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    @jacalynrose11 looks so good! ps I'm going to have to try that garbanzo bean sandwich, sounds delish.