Running and Gaining Weight Question

Options
gimarrone
gimarrone Posts: 1 Member
edited January 2019 in Health and Weight Loss
Hi all, I just started running (never was a runner) a few weeks ago along with a low carb diet and I am gaining weight. I’m getting super frustrated not seeing the scale go down. Any suggestions?

Replies

• emmamcgarity
    emmamcgarity Posts: 1,594 Member
    Options
    Low carb is certainly a popular approach. Are you also tracking your calories?
  • heybales
    heybales Posts: 18,842 Member
    Options
    Exercise, especially running - has many reasons for water weight increases, which can easily hide fat weight loss on the scale. But not inches measured.

Blood volume increase for getting oxygen to your newly recruited set of muscles.
    Retained for repair as mentioned.
    Water is attached with glucose when stored in the muscle - and with low carb diet body is likely in overdrive attempting to do that in the face of being asked to burn them but you aren't eating them.
  • lalalacroix
    lalalacroix Posts: 834 Member
    Options
    If you put on your weight from eating to much in the past then you will lose weight with good diet. if you gained weight by sitting around not being active then exercise will help you lose weight . You need a balance of diet and exercise. best to see a pro to get this balance and it changes over time so you will have to re balance diet and exercise time to time.

It doesn't really matter what the cause of the weight gain. Weight loss happens when a person is in a calorie deficit. Although it doesn't matter if the deficit is caused by diet or exercise, it is much easier to keep a deficit by reducing overall calories ingested as opposed to burning enough via exercise.
  • leasah
    leasah Posts: 107 Member
    Options
    I run 3x a week and I notice that when I have had an injury and not been able to run I weigh less. I initially started running to lose weight but personally it is only for general health now, my weight loss is tied far more to what I'm shoving in my mouth.

• collectingblues
    collectingblues Posts: 2,541 Member
    Options
    gimarrone wrote: »
    Hi all, I just started running (never was a runner) a few weeks ago along with a low carb diet and I am gaining weight. I’m getting super frustrated not seeing the scale go down. Any suggestions?

Are you weighing and tracking all of your food? Runger is common -- as is portion creep -- so it's possible that you're not eating in a calorie deficit.

New activity can also bring increased water weight. If you are positive that all of your logging and weighing is accurate, give it some time -- I know for me, it usually takes about six weeks for things to get back to normal when I increase my training.
  • collectingblues
    collectingblues Posts: 2,541 Member
    Options
    If you put on your weight from eating to much in the past then you will lose weight with good diet. if you gained weight by sitting around not being active then exercise will help you lose weight . You need a balance of diet and exercise. best to see a pro to get this balance and it changes over time so you will have to re balance diet and exercise time to time.

It doesn't really matter what the cause of the weight gain. Weight loss happens when a person is in a calorie deficit. Although it doesn't matter if the deficit is caused by diet or exercise, it is much easier to keep a deficit by reducing overall calories ingested as opposed to burning enough via exercise.

yeah that's true you can eat 5000 cal and train very hard or you can eat unhealthy low cals

Or, you can eat a moderate amount of calories that is appropriate for your actual training level.

But hey, if your TDEE with training is 5000, then you go tossing those back.
  • debrakgoogins
    debrakgoogins Posts: 2,033 Member
    Options
    You're following a low carb diet but are you tracking exactly what your calorie intake is and logging your exercise? How many calories are you eating versus burning? You still have to track the calories to ensure you are in a defecit in order to lose the weight. I also find that my weight fluctuates quite a bit up and down with running but it trends down overall. This is perfectly normal but can be discouraging. I use an app called Happy Scale to track my weight trends since gaining two pounds in a day can be very frustrating. Personally, I find that a low carb diet when I am running leaves me exhausted but if it ends up working for you that's great.
  • debrakgoogins
    Options

I'm a bit concerned about these statements so I have reworded them. I'm sure it was just an innocent oversight. If you put on your weight from eating too much in the past then will lose weight if you eat in a defecit. If you gained weight by sitting around not being active then exercise will help your body be healthier and contribute to a calorie defecit. You only need a calorie defecit to lose weight although a balance of diet and exercise is optimal for overall health. Best to begin tracking your calorie intake by measuring your foods and accurately recording your workouts to see a weight change over time. You may have to lower your daily calories a bit as you lose weight because your metabolism will improve as you lose weight and gain muscle.
  • etruscansunited
    etruscansunited Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    Danp wrote: »
    Run for fitness, eat for weight loss.
    Those simple true words should be on a poster in every gym, doctor clinic, pharmacy, dietitian's office, school, ....
  • TrishSeren
    TrishSeren Posts: 587 Member
    Options

Exercise for health, not for weight loss. Addressing energy intake is where weight loss happens.
  • simcon1
    simcon1 Posts: 209 Member
    Options
    I also think dismissing the ways that exercise contributes to weight loss minimizes the range of what people experience.

I exercise for health, yes, but also for fun, weight loss, fresh air, social connection, endorphins, etc. I also eat for lots of reasons—pleasure, sustenance, health, social connection, weight loss, etc.

“Runger” is a thing, yes, but not for everyone all the time. For me running always suppresses my appetite and makes me crave healthy foods. That’s just my body’s response—and not everyone’s. I also log everything, etc, but I have a lot more room in my calorie budget when I move more—and less desire for the things that might blow it.

For the OP, my guess would be water retention for muscle repair if it’s only been a couple of weeks. This assumes that you are tracking and logging food, of course.
  • jasonpoihegatama
    jasonpoihegatama Posts: 496 Member
    Options

I'm a bit concerned about these statements so I have reworded them. I'm sure it was just an innocent oversight. If you put on your weight from eating too much in the past then will lose weight if you eat in a defecit. If you gained weight by sitting around not being active then exercise will help your body be healthier and contribute to a calorie defecit. You only need a calorie defecit to lose weight although a balance of diet and exercise is optimal for overall health. Best to begin tracking your calorie intake by measuring your foods and accurately recording your workouts to see a weight change over time. You may have to lower your daily calories a bit as you lose weight because your metabolism will improve as you lose weight and gain muscle.

Yes your right. But some people will lower there calories too low and try and just keep lowing there calories to lose weight after time this has the adverse effect. Some people could be eating 1500 calories and someone says you need to eat less to lose weight not the case is it! as to low calorie intake over time will slow your metabolism but of course this is just my opinion! also someone can be very active and lift 100kg dumbbell press where there need that high calorie intake for fuel. Some people can not comprehend if you eat more food if needed they will lose weight with a healthy metabolism. This is because they have been told look at the fat man he eats to much. And no one likes to be wrong. On here alone you have people eating or plan on eating 600 cals 1200 cals 1500 cals and have an active work out. what do you say then you need to be in calorie deficit. ( when your calorie are to low its called starvation you will lose weight and then most likely get sick ) But you are right it needs a balance if you sitting around get up and move if you eating to much lower your intake of food.
  • debrakgoogins
    Options
    On here alone you have people eating or plan on eating 600 cals 1200 cals 1500 cals and have an active work out. what do you say then you need to be in calorie deficit. ( when your calorie are to low its called starvation you will lose weight and then most likely get sick ) But you are right it needs a balance if you sitting around get up and move if you eating to much lower your intake of food.

I didn't say it needs to be a balance. I said a calorie defecit is the only thing required. If people are on here eating 600 calories, they are not following the program and they will be called out for claiming to eat that little. I never said getting up and moving around would work. If getting up and moving around worked, every human who moves around would be fit. Plenty of people go to the gym but don't change their diet and remain overweight. That's because despite exercise, they are still eating more than they are burning.