Struggling

I m at a stand still with weight, doing 4 gym classes a week and walking everyday . Been doing this for few months now and still not getting anywhere. Been vegetarian to for 4 months

Replies

• zeejane03
    zeejane03 Posts: 993 Member
    We need more information in order to help you-

how many calories are you eating?
    are you measuring out portion sizes on a food scale?
    what are you stats (height, current weight)

• MichelleSilverleaf
    MichelleSilverleaf Posts: 2,027 Member
    psychod787 wrote: »
    What does being a vegetarian have to do with anything?

Some people think that if you're eating vegetarian that your calorie intake is naturally a lot lower and therefore weight loss should be automatic.
  • kami3006
    kami3006 Posts: 4,979 Member
    edited January 2019
    pinuplove wrote: »

Some people think that if you're eating vegetarian that your calorie intake is naturally a lot lower and therefore weight loss should be automatic.

Have those people never heard of French fries? :tongue:

And my old friend, chips and salsa.

Ooh, I'm eating that right now :tongue:
  • Panini911
    Panini911 Posts: 2,325 Member
    edited January 2019

similarly with "clean eating" some of those fancy clean desserts are higher calorie than the original :P (I actually enjoy many "clean" desserts but know they pack a calorie bang to my day and factor that in accordingly!).

Or even in other foods they still add a lot of fat (coconut oil) and nuts to things which really increase cals.

• TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    I m at a stand still with weight, doing 4 gym classes a week and walking everyday . Been doing this for few months now and still not getting anywhere. Been vegetarian to for 4 months

Are you eating in a calorie deficit?
  • lisajames925
    lisajames925 Posts: 105 Member
    I m not vegetarian to lose weight , I don’t like meat so struggle with what to eat as a replacement . I struggle a lot with food as I get obsessive about it due to having confidence issues and eating ones . Didn’t want people having a go at me. I know eating less calories and exercising loses weight. That’s what I am doing.
  • zeejane03
    zeejane03 Posts: 993 Member
    edited January 2019
    I m not vegetarian to lose weight , I don’t like meat so struggle with what to eat as a replacement . I struggle a lot with food as I get obsessive about it due to having confidence issues and eating ones . Didn’t want people having a go at me. I know eating less calories and exercising loses weight. That’s what I am doing.

I became a pescetarian this month and cut out the daily chicken I was eating, along with beef and pork. I've also lost 5lbs this month so far (some maintenance vanity pounds). The weight loss is due to the calorie deficit I'm at (along with better digestion due to the increased fiber I'm at now, 30+grams a day).

Besides fish 3 times a week I eat 1-2 servings of beans every day, whole grains, vegetables and fruit, dairy (the Greek yogurts I use have 14g and 15g of protein in one serving and they're 80-100 calories per serving), nuts and seeds, the occasional egg etc. I've had no problem replacing the meat with other protein sources.
  • lisajames925
    I m having 1500 calories a day before exercise and burning off at least 200-300 a day minimum. Should I cut down the calories back to 1200
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    I m having 1500 calories a day before exercise and burning off at least 200-300 a day minimum. Should I cut down the calories back to 1200

How much weight have you lost since you posted this on 20th Jan?
  • lisajames925
    Stayed the same for three months now. Was told by doctor to up calories to 1500 but still same
  • MichelleSilverleaf
    Stayed the same for three months now. Was told by doctor to up calories to 1500 but still same

Are you using a food scale?
  • lisajames925
    Yes I weigh everything.
  • lisajames925
    Do you think the 16/8 intermittent fasting is a good idea
  • magnusthenerd
    magnusthenerd Posts: 1,207 Member
    Do you think the 16/8 intermittent fasting is a good idea
    It won't change the fundamental issue. If you're not losing weight, you're either overestimating your calories burned, underestimating your calorie intake, or both. Intermittent fasting only works as a strategy to manage appetite.
  • MichelleSilverleaf
    Yes I weigh everything.

Ok next question would be how much are you trying to lose and where your weight is at now. Because the issue is either a logging issue (entries you're using could be incorrect and you may think you're eating less than you are, which is not a dig at you), or you have so little left to lose that losses are being masked by fluctuations. As for intermittent fasting being a good idea, I guess that depends on your definition of good. There's nothing magical about it, it's just a way of eating that works for some and not others. Some people find the smaller eating window helps them achieve their goals, and others find it doesn't work. I mean you can try it definitely and see how it goes.