I think need I help - gym addiction.

Already been this morning....

Couldn't go tonight due to weather and getting home late. Its made me a crying, guilty fat mess.

I'm petrified of putting weight on. I hate not working out. But its feeling of guilt that eats away at me if I cant go.

Replies

• Pardyqueenxoxo
    Pardyqueenxoxo Posts: 218 Member
    I know.

I feel like I'm just going to be the obese mess I was this time last year.

• Pardyqueenxoxo
    I think I lose all common sense - like feeling like I'll gain for missing one session? So silly I know. I just wish I could give myself a day off.

• quiksylver296
    quiksylver296 Posts: 28,442 Member
    edited January 2019
    I think I lose all common sense - like feeling like I'll gain for missing one session? So silly I know. I just wish I could give myself a day off.

So, do it. Force yourself.

2-a-days at the gym are not necessary. Five days a week are plenty, and even more than most people need.

• TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member

What's your current work out routine?

• mndamon
    mndamon Posts: 547 Member
    I know I have felt guilty about missing a gym session when it was in my power to make it there and chose not to but I don't know that I've ever felt exactly the way you're describing. Since you've started losing your weight have you ever taken a full week off? Just to rest physically and mentally?
  • lisajames925
    lisajames925 Posts: 105 Member
    I am the same and the doctor has recommended cbt for me as i m terrified of gaining weight or missing sessions. Obsess about calories and he said I have eating disorder.
  • Cahgetsfit
    Cahgetsfit Posts: 1,912 Member
    resting is actually very important for recovery of muscles. And there is no need whatsoever to gym 2x a day unless you are prepping to go in a bodybuilding competition and your coach wants you to cardio as well as lift.

you may need to talk to someone about your fears because it doesn't seem like a nice feeling to have and can actually be detrimental to your overall wellbeing.
  • clicketykeys
    clicketykeys Posts: 6,568 Member
    It might be a good idea to talk to a counselor or therapist. You're right; feeling guilty because you don't go to the gym (whether because you can't or because you choose not to) probably isn't healthy. Likewise, referring to your previous self as "the obese mess."

I'm not going to claim that physical fitness isn't important. But it's certainly not the only thing that's important, and I don't even think it should be the most important thing in anyone's life. Fat or fit, you are the same person, and you have value in both shapes. <3
  • aokoye
    aokoye Posts: 3,495 Member
    I third or fourth the suggestion of seeing a therapist about this. As you've realized, that isn't a normal thought process and it's clearly negatively affecting you. Seeing a therapist is nothing to be ashamed of nor is it anything to shy away from.
  • In my 20s i was addicted to diet pills, worked out 3 hours a day sometimes 4 and developed an eating disorder. I had to see a therapist and a nutritionist to overcome it. I was in my 30s wanted to get pregnant but kept miscarriying. Saw a therapist to deal with the losses and my eating disorder and need to exercise came out. I eventually did have a baby via ivf and changed for him.
    Now 3 kids later at 43 i am healthy, in the best shape of my life, and feel better than i ever did. I only workout an hour a day now and im in better shape than when i was working out 3 hours a day!!!!
    Its all about nutrition and now exercise is for health benefits and my sanity!!!

I think it would be helpful to talk to someone. Best of luck to you.
  • mengqiz86
    mengqiz86 Posts: 176 Member
    You need to see a therapy before you hurt/injure yourself, if you have trouble forcing yourself to wean off this unreasonable need to exercise. It sounds as much of a exercise addiction as a body image problem. Do you feel like you need to look perfect to feel worthy?
    I experienced a lighter version of this when a running injury put me out of training for 2 months. I was a depressed mess because running was my therapy and without it I had a hard time coping with the demands of life. I went to a therapist for only a few times and started to force myself to deal with life through other channels. It was not fun but once I got over it my relationship with running was completely reset.
    Good luck! Kudos for reaching out for help!
  • Pardyqueenxoxo
    Hi guys, literally only just managed to grab your replies.

I'm much better already, I started a new job which is 9-5 so I get plenty of gym time in the evening (unlike finishing at 6:30pm) I'm currently only on one session a day! However I'm still trying to bring in a rest day but I find myself heading to the gym on rest days...however at least I'm down to one sesh a day.

I hate having obsessions. I even s
    Weigh myself everyday. I wish diet n fitness didnt come with the odd complications! 😏

Thanks all xx
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Hi guys, literally only just managed to grab your replies.

I'm much better already, I started a new job which is 9-5 so I get plenty of gym time in the evening (unlike finishing at 6:30pm) I'm currently only on one session a day! However I'm still trying to bring in a rest day but I find myself heading to the gym on rest days...however at least I'm down to one sesh a day.

I hate having obsessions. I even s
    Weigh myself everyday. I wish diet n fitness didnt come with the odd complications! 😏

Thanks all xx

Have you thought about getting professional help?