How low do I gotta go to get rid of this gut?

Options
Heyy everyone. Need some help here. I'm 35, and I started my goals last June starting at 135ish and I've come down to 117. I'm proud of myself, but I still have such a gut. I do crunches and stomach toning exercises at the gym and cardio. I can actually see a little bit of abs under my gut. But the fat is still there, like a pot belly. I'd be ok with a few more lbs off but my mom keeps telling me if I lose much more weight I'll be too thin. What am I missing here and not doing right? Oh yeah my height is 5'2. Thanks for any and all advice!

Replies

• endermako
    endermako Posts: 785 Member
    Options
    You also can't spot reduce, you lose fat from all over. Just keep lifting and your body fat will come off eventually. You can still maintain your weight and do this as well. it's called RECOMP
  • apullum
    apullum Posts: 4,838 Member
    Options
    Losing more weight is not a guarantee that your body will take the fat from any specific place. You can start recomp to build muscle and reduce body fat, and you can do strength exercises targeted toward specific muscles.
  • elisa123gal
    elisa123gal Posts: 4,290 Member
    Options
    I find the last place I gain is the last place I lose.. you just have to keep losing and your belly will most likely be the last frontier. . you can do it! :)
  • StargazerB
    StargazerB Posts: 425 Member
    Options
    I'm also 5'2" and currently I'm 119 pounds, I've been as low as 114. You can see the outline of my abs but not much else right now, at 114 the definition was a little better. I do lift heavy and have been for almost 2 years. I'm currently cutting down because I want to see my abs, I'm thinking I'm going to have to get down to about 110 to see them. Good luck!
  • Maxxitt
    Maxxitt Posts: 1,281 Member
    Options
    +1 for recomp :) Getting strong is always a worthy health goal. How your belly appears to you probably will vary over the course of your menstrual cycle, and it may be that you will find yourself making peace with some belly softness at some point.
  • amring
    amring Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    Hi! I'm 5'2 and currently 110lb guess what...I still have a fat belly so I don't think loosing more weight than that is the solution unless we went to reach an unhealthy BMI soon! Good luck though x
  • Cahgetsfit
    Cahgetsfit Posts: 1,912 Member
    Options
    my guts are my problem spot too - first to gain and last to lose! Doesn't matter how lean I get, my gut is always kinda there. Posture plays a huge part. I notice it when I stand up straight it looks less podgy but when I hunch over to look at it - hey hello big gut!!

I agree with the recomp advice above.
  • lbride
    lbride Posts: 248 Member
    Options
    I just buy better firm camis and live with it

• vanityy99
    vanityy99 Posts: 2,583 Member
    Options
    Wow I’m also that short 130lbs wanting to go down to 115lbs. You mean to tell me I might still have a gut? Ugh I dislike this all.
  • StargazerB
    StargazerB Posts: 425 Member
    Options
    vanityy99 wrote: »
    Wow I’m also that short 130lbs wanting to go down to 115lbs. You mean to tell me I might still have a gut? Ugh I dislike this all.

You might and you might not. It really depends on your personal body composition. You might carry more muscle than the OP. Are you lifting weights while you lose the weight? If not, I recommend starting.
  • mengqiz86
    mengqiz86 Posts: 176 Member
    Options
    Have you had any pregnancies before? Did you have the belly before pregnancy?
  • stacydc83
    stacydc83 Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    Wow, thank you for all the great ideas! I'm definitely going to try and lift more, and focus on getting strong everywhere, and hopefully the belly fat will start to fall off. I've been slacking bad the last few days, basically eating crap. Tonight I ate a thin crust Little Ceasar's pizza pretty much by myself. Whoops. Oh well, there's always tomorrow to get back on track, I'll definitely go to the gym tomorrow. And to answer previous question, any pregnancies? Nope, I just look like someone who's had a baby. :blush:
  • nooshi713
    nooshi713 Posts: 4,877 Member
    Options
    It does depend on your body. I know some tiny thin people with a gut and bigger people with flat tummies. Sometimes you have to accept your body type. Working on muscle tone helps a bit.