JUST FOR TODAY -- One Day at a Time .... Daily commitment thread for 2019

Options

Replies

• Faebert
    Faebert Posts: 1,588 Member
    Options
    My goodness the weather you have out there! Can’t imagine how you’re coping. Sending you hugs (v warm ones!).

@snowflake1968 it is my younger daughter’s birthday on Sunday too! And older one’s in 23rd Feb. Plus my mum and some other relatives this month. Have barely recovered financially from Christmas! 😬

Sorry the job-hunting is annoying. You are such a wise and talented person, I cannot believe you won’t get snapped up. Just hope it’s the job you want! X
  • BMcC9
    BMcC9 Posts: 4,409 Member
    Options
    BMCC9 - where are you? We are currently getting some snow but it hasn’t been terrible this year.
    What do you like to read? My daughter is like you with reading. I will be finishing her birthday present today or tomorrow I’ll post a pic when it’s done. I bet you’ll like it too.

I get the cabin fever, our car is not working and I’m stuck at home a lot right now. It’s not fun!

Eastern Ontario / Bordering Western Quebec. Usually we EITHER get extreme cold OR high snow-banks, not both at the same time.

We actually broke a 100-yr-old local one-day record for "Extreme cold AND heavy snowstorm on the same day" earlier this month.

When someone asks me "What do you like to read?" I have to answer "What day is it today?" I like so many different kinds of books ....

At the moment I am reading a new-to-me Mercedes Lackey "Elemental Masters" book that just arrived in the mail .... set aside the already-read-multiple-times Georgette Heyer Regency book for this one ..... waiting of future delivery of Heyer's (not so well known) contemporary-when-written mysteries (mid-to-late 1930's into 1940's). One has been shipped and is currently in transit from England - others are pre-orders and won't show up until March - April - May .... spreading my joy .... escaping into a book helps me tune out the world and solves the cabin-fever issue, almost TOOO well! (why I have to declare work mornings NO BOOK time and I no longer get to read on the bus during my commute.

• ZizzyBumble
    ZizzyBumble Posts: 1,679 Member
    Options
    It sounds as if some of you are having really cold weather and, that where you are, things don't grind to a halt at the first snowflake! We might get a bit tomorrow and it looks as if someone has dusted the pavement with icing sugar! It was cold enough for ice today and I did not see it, was flat on my back before I knew what was happening but no damage done and I don't think anyone saw so my pride is still intact as well!

Take care everyone
  • ZizzyBumble
    ZizzyBumble Posts: 1,679 Member
    Options
    Wednesday 30 January

Holiday over and time to get back on track. I've exceeded my maintenance range by 2lbs and need to tackle it now. Previously I reached my target then lapsed, this time I will be METHODICAL and accountable on this thread.

Log everything :)
    Eat below maintenance calories :) Got there today and made an inroad into the average for the week.
    5 fruit and veg :)
    January water goal :)
    Exercise :) Met all my Fitbit goals for the first time in ages

Pleased with my efforts today, now need to repeat tomorrow!

• Snowflake1968
    Snowflake1968 Posts: 6,774 Member
    Options
    BMcC9 wrote: »
    BMCC9 - where are you? We are currently getting some snow but it hasn’t been terrible this year.
    What do you like to read? My daughter is like you with reading. I will be finishing her birthday present today or tomorrow I’ll post a pic when it’s done. I bet you’ll like it too.

I get the cabin fever, our car is not working and I’m stuck at home a lot right now. It’s not fun!

Eastern Ontario / Bordering Western Quebec. Usually we EITHER get extreme cold OR high snow-banks, not both at the same time.

We actually broke a 100-yr-old local one-day record for "Extreme cold AND heavy snowstorm on the same day" earlier this month.

When someone asks me "What do you like to read?" I have to answer "What day is it today?" I like so many different kinds of books ....

At the moment I am reading a new-to-me Mercedes Lackey "Elemental Masters" book that just arrived in the mail .... set aside the already-read-multiple-times Georgette Heyer Regency book for this one ..... waiting of future delivery of Heyer's (not so well known) contemporary-when-written mysteries (mid-to-late 1930's into 1940's). One has been shipped and is currently in transit from England - others are pre-orders and won't show up until March - April - May .... spreading my joy .... escaping into a book helps me tune out the world and solves the cabin-fever issue, almost TOOO well! (why I have to declare work mornings NO BOOK time and I no longer get to read on the bus during my commute.

I am from New Brunswick. Lived in Ontario (Scarborough) for a couple years and have lived in Edmonton for the last 21 years. I know your weather well.

I am a reader, but a very fussy one. I like escaping reality so like a lot of what most people consider fluff, but I also really enjoy true crime and biographies. My daughter is like you, we once grounded her from reading in the hopes it would make her do her homework. She literally read cereal boxes, go figure!
  • cschmitz110515
    cschmitz110515 Posts: 3,492 Member
    edited January 2019
    Options
    Isn't this INSANE?! My legs were literally burning through my jeans as I walked from my parked car into work this morning. So many places are closed and I'm seriously wondering why on earth they did not allow us to just stay home and work today...instead they told us because of the hazardous and dangerous weather, we can wear jeans. Yup. Jeans. okayyyyyyy. <groan>
    I would have had wind pants OVER jeans .... but if you don't normally get this kind of weather, you wouldn't know to do that, or even necessarily OWN wind pants.

Panty-hose or leggings/tights under the jeans will help. Seriously! (trapped body-temp air next to the skin plus friction) You can always pop into the washroom and take the leggings/tights off - switch to socks or knee-highs once you are at work, if the building is warm.

So I say again ....

Stay safe, Everyone! Stay Warm!

I wear long underwear (tops as well as bottoms) to work, all winter long, under my other layers (I wear dresses only in the summer). And wool socks. The building always feels cool to me. Even under jeans on those special days. I also have wind pants, usually for snowshoeing or winter walking and 5Ks. I'll have to remember them for walking inside from the parking lot. Thanks for the suggestion!

Today spent great time with hubby before he had to leave for work. Only took second try for his vehicle (parked in driveway in the elements) to start. Then I had huge fail food-wise: finished off the bag of kettle chips, followed by a bunch of Hershey kisses (from Christmas). And today is rest day - I'm a firm believer in giving myself days off from workouts. So no exercise calories.

I am behind on my water too. But that's something I still have time for. Decided I'm not going to log my food today ~ giving myself a mulligan. :D
  • PackerFanInGB
    PackerFanInGB Posts: 3,346 Member
    Options
    Isn't this INSANE?! My legs were literally burning through my jeans as I walked from my parked car into work this morning. So many places are closed and I'm seriously wondering why on earth they did not allow us to just stay home and work today...instead they told us because of the hazardous and dangerous weather, we can wear jeans. Yup. Jeans. okayyyyyyy. <groan>
    I would have had wind pants OVER jeans .... but if you don't normally get this kind of weather, you wouldn't know to do that, or even necessarily OWN wind pants.

Panty-hose or leggings/tights under the jeans will help. Seriously! (trapped body-temp air next to the skin plus friction) You can always pop into the washroom and take the leggings/tights off - switch to socks or knee-highs once you are at work, if the building is warm.

So I say again ....

I wear long underwear (tops as well as bottoms) to work, all winter long, under my other layers (I wear dresses only in the summer). And wool socks. The building always feels cool to me. Even under jeans on those special days. I also have wind pants, usually for snowshoeing or winter walking and 5Ks. I'll have to remember them for walking inside from the parking lot. Thanks for the suggestion!

Today spent great time with hubby before he had to leave for work. Only took second try for his vehicle (parked in driveway in the elements) to start. Then I had huge fail food-wise: finished off the bag of kettle chips, followed by a bunch of Hershey kisses (from Christmas). And today is rest day - I'm a firm believer in giving myself days off from workouts. So no exercise calories.

I am behind on my water too. But that's something I still have time for. Decided I'm not going to log my food today ~ giving myself a mulligan. :D

I don't wear long underwear under work clothes because normally I have hot flashes. I have a blanket and water and emergency supplies in my car all winter in case I go in a ditch or my car breaks down. To be honest, I did think about wearing some leggings under my jeans this morning, but my darn pants are so tight I can't layer them. *sigh* It always comes back to weight it seems.

About to head out for home in a few minutes and I am NOT looking forward to going out here. At least I have a nice new warm winter parka with a hood and some nice leather gloves. *sigh* I cannot wait to go on vaca to Arizona in a few weeks!!!!

Be safe everyone! I'll hop on and post later. Have about 100 posts to get caught up on!

Tracie in the Frozen Tundra of Green Bay
    2019 Word of the year: Tenacious / Tenacity
  • Snowflake1968
    Snowflake1968 Posts: 6,774 Member
    Options
    Today in Canada one of our Communication companies has Let’s Talk day. It is to raise money and awareness for Mental Health. Both of my girls suffers and are usually very silent about it. Even their grandparents aren’t aware of their struggles. I was shocked and so incredibly proud when I saw that they both posted on their Facebook today and announced their issues in the hopes of helping others. Guys, today I cried. I am such a proud Mama. I have posted their posts in the Spoilers. The first is my eldest and the second is my youngest.
    [In the past few years I've gotten to be fairly open about my struggles with what I thought was post partum depression. What I didn't know until last spring is that my actual diagnosis is Depression, Social Anxiety, and General Anxiety. Since learning that, I've been trying different meds to find what helps, and learning new coping mechanisms. I'm doing better now, the meds I'm on help a lot, they give me the motivation I need to use the tools I've been given.
    But I still have bad days, days when all I want to is stay in bed, or stay on the couch mindlessly surfing Pinterest or watching TV. Or days when I can't convince myself to leave the house because "omg, there are people out there, what if they see me, what if they laugh at me, what if they judge me?!" Logically, I know that strangers don't care about me, even if they do notice me.
    I know that life is hard for my kids. I know my mental illnesses affect them. Jonah knows that I get sad/mad/scared/grumpy/upset for no reason. He knows that I have medicine to help. And he knows that I'm trying to manage it better, to be a nicer, more patient, happier, calmer mom for him and Micki. He knows I love them.
    Often I avoid going out, and social situations, or I avoid taking the kids places because I stress so much about their behaviour. I know that they are generally well behaved, but one trick mental illness likes to play is telling me that people think I'm a bad mother.
    I'm not looking for reassurance or sympathy, just some understanding, and maybe a little less stigma
    #bellletstalkday/spoiler]
    Anxiety ... or in my world Fred. Yes. I have named my anxiety. Mainly because it’s easier to say “Fred’s a dick” then it is to say “I’m having a panic attack” or “I’m feeling really anxious” and I can’t help but think a large part of that is the stigma around all mental health.

I don’t often talk about my struggles and 9 times out of 10 you’ll see the bubbly, happy, cheery, smiling Kaitlyn that you all know and maybe even love. Sometimes I’m fighting an extreme internal battle to keep that smile on my face, sometimes I’m truly just that happy, but sometimes I can’t even fake the smile...

Those days really suck... days where I can’t leave my apartment without getting physically sick from a mental sickness. Days where I can’t enjoy my morning because I’m too busy convincing myself to breathe. Days where I try to talk myself out of a racing heart ... while usually only making it worse. There are even days when I just cry and have seemingly no control over the flood gates.

At the end of these days I’m left with this thought: “What do people think of me?” Why?! Why should it matter what anyone else thinks of me. I’m trying my hardest to push through every. single. day.

Some days Fred wins.
    Most days I win.

I will no longer apologize for how I choose to handle these days, because that is a part of the problem.

The stigma on mental health has got to go .. “she’s just lazy” “it’s little girl problems” “grow up” “it’s all in your head” “we are all anxious sometimes” are only a few things I’ve heard said to others and have even heard some myself.

So just stop.
    Stop telling people it’s in their head (FYI: WE ALREADY KNOW THAT... that’s why it’s called mental health)
    Stop making people feel bad over things they have no control over.
    Stop assuming the struggles they have are insignificant.
    Stop judging people for an illness you can’t see.

Please. Just stop. And instead maybe you could use that time to ask if someone is okay. Ask if there is anything you can do. Ask how they’re doing. Ask what’s on their mind. Ask about something ridiculous to maybe distract them and bring a smile. Just check in!

Check in on your strong friends too. Sometimes the suffer is silent and even if they aren’t ready or willing to share their story, they may just need a friend. So reach out to your people today and next week, and next month, and next year. Don’t stop checking in. Don’t stop loving. Don’t stop being a support they may have not even known they needed.

*Edit - this is not something I’m normally super vocal about so if you made it to the bottom of this .. thanks!

#BellLetsTalk
  • toaljasa
    toaljasa Posts: 955 Member
    Options

So I say again ....

Well, salty, sweet, and chocolate...I hope you enjoyed every bite!
  • Graceandmiracles
    Graceandmiracles Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    Bex953172 wrote: »
    Bex953172 wrote: »
    Help! The cravings for food are so bad. Day two of reboot and boy this is tough. I want sugar, chips, everything! I’m full from veggies, water, chicken salad so I’m not starving, just withdrawing. I can do this!

Argh me too! I wont cave in if you dont!!
    We can do this!!

Thanks I didn’t cave except that I wanted carbs so bad i made popcorn with too much oil for supper! Pretty sure I was at or under calories.

LOL i had 2 bowls of cereal last night, i was just so hungry last night and Flo arrived today so im not beating myself up about it. Well done for being within your calories though! Hope you enjoyed your popcorn treat!

I did enjoy it, thank you! I’ve often found when I’m that hungry and allow myself extra calories I don’t gain as long as I don’t go over by much. It’s as if my body is saying, you really need extra calories.

• PackerFanInGB
    Options
    @slittlemeister Good luck on the half marathon! Very cool. How did everything work out for you with your company's reorganization? I think I missed it. Did you end up with a job you like better?

The first restucture has happened but it isn't a real restructure, they've basically dumped teams and fragments of teams from several organisations into various places within one organisation. I'm still within my old team.

There is clearly going to be a second restructure at some point because the whole thing is a total mess and everything is in chaos. There are going to be a round of redundancies at some point, potentially quite a lot. Sadly, I don't think I'll be one of them. That might sound odd but the redundancy package is rather good and work is stressful and chaotic so I actually think it would be quite freeing and give me chance to have a break and think about what I want to do!

But I don't think I will get redundancy because my role, and the experience I've built up in that role, is too pivotal/specific to the organisation. Yay me(!) This in turn means that I'm not likely to be moved away from that role unless I make an effort to go and get a new role - nobody is going to proactively offer it to me. And at the moment I'm struggling to see exactly how I could make it happen, as everything is in such chaos no senior people have time to talk to people like me, and even if they did have time I don't think they have a clue what's going on right now anyway. Currently they are absorbed with making sure we are actually going to have money next year! (Which is pretty important, without that we're all fired, lol)

So for now, I'm plugging on. There is lots of interesting stuff going on which I'm absorbing myself in. I am actually going for coffee with a semi-senior person on Friday, to see if he can help me get something/give me career advice more generally. And in the meantime I am keeping my eye out externally. I did see one job that looked vaguely interesting but decided not to go for it. It's very busy at the moment and that means there's only so much time I can take off for interviews - therefore any I go to have to be worth it.

So, that's the situation. It's depressing me a bit as I feel like I'm flailing around without much direction and no plan. And also stressing me out as the chaos is not fun - it feels like if I'm not careful I could be back to a stressful. I would be grateful for any thoughts/prayers you are willing to expend on me in order that I:

- Have the wisdom to work out what on earth I want from my life
    - Have the tenacity to go out there and get it, even when life is busy and stressful
    - Have the resilience and strength to survive the chaos and madness at work
    - Have the patience not to flip out and punch any of my co-workers in the face/tell them what I really think of them :smile:

Hope you are well :smile: How is the concussion? I've got behind on posts with missing a phone for a week (on that note, I really like your unplugged Sunday suggestion and may take it up)

Oh my gosh! You do have a lot going on there. That's how I was feeling at my last job. Everything was in such a chaotic mess and nobody knew what the heck the other person was doing. Just crazy stressful. You do seem to handle it with much more grace than I did though....although I guess I didn't ever actually punch anyone in the face either! LOL! I did have the phrase "Lord, please help me to not throat punch anyone today..." go through my head though! :mrgreen: (if you knew me, you'd know I don't have it in me to really throat punch anyone, but it is my favorite threat! BWAHAHAHA!)

Sounds to me like you're doing exactly what you need to right now. Sit back and see how it begins to fall into place unless something that really piques your interest comes up. I didn't want to leave for just anything either. It had to be the right thing at the right time. I really lucked out. Going for coffee with the semi-senior person sounds like a great idea to me! I think you should definitely do that.

I will pray for every single item on your list. I pray every morning on my way to work and I do pray for all my friends on here to be safe and healthy. So, it'll be easy to add in a few more thngs! :)

I think my concussion is doing much better. They still have me going to the Concussion Clinic weekly and have added another session for cognitive therapy to help me focus and concentrate better. I feel like such a freaking dork. You would never know by looking at me that anything is wrong. I seem fine to everyone around me. But I know how hard I'm having to try to focus and stay on task, and it's not how I normally am. But it seriously seems so dumb to me that this is even a thing. I just want to stop going to the clinic. I want to tell them that I'm fine and I'm done. But the clinic is part of the health care organization I work for so they know where to find me... *sigh*

I'm really happy at my new job though. Even though they switched up my responsibities and changed my title, I'm still so much happier than I was in my old job.

You know how I am always saying I want to travel? Well, guess what?! I get to go visit my dad in Arizona (his winter house) in a few weeks! I've never been to Arizona so I'm pretty excited! We are going to go see Sedona which is supposed to be gorgeous. So, although it's only a long weekend, it's somewhere in the country I've never been and it's about 100 degrees warmer there than it is here right now! Did I mention I'm excited? LOL

P.S. Unplugged Sundays (except MFP) is AWESOME. Really refreshing. (((HUGS)))
  • PackerFanInGB
    Options
    Just For Today
    Already walked the girls to the bus stop👍
    Already finished one laundry load...got interrupted 👍
    Already read a chapter in my book 👍
    Enjoying Soundscapes with a cup of coffee and its 10:30 a.m.
    So not too bad of a start today.

This sounds so lovely to me.... xoxo
  • PackerFanInGB
    Options
    @Snowflake1968 , my son IS the roommate in the spare room! :) That's a big part of his problem, he can't afford the rent on a place of his own. I'm sure it will work itself out, it's just the constant discussions about it which are depressing. I'm grateful that my sons do discuss things with me though :) Their father (my husband) died when they were very young, so I'm the only one they have.

I'm so hoping you get the job, when do you think you will hear if you have an interview?

I've been out for a walk. Cold but nice to be in the fresh air.

I have a son that I worry about all the time like this. He tries so hard... I raised my kids by myself because I divorced their dad for being abusive. So, I'm kind of all they've got too since their dad really never pursued being in their life. It's hard to want to fix it for them, but it's just not always possible. (((HUGS)))
  • BMcC9
    BMcC9 Posts: 4,409 Member
    Options
    JFT (after work only) Jan 29 GOALs
    • Check Google Maps for best route home B)
    • another 2 X 5 minutes HIIT right when I get home B)
    • Jogging / exergame before supper B):# 80 minutes total, before AND after supper
    • Toastmasters getting the Level One requirements DONE after supper >:) Nope. Book and well-earned snack-time! Air-popped popcorn / taste of Dark Chocolate Bark
    • Enter all my various MFP accountability reports B)

To Be Done (but signing off now)
    • Wash up dishes
    • Pre-weigh / pre-pack breakfast & lunch for tomorrow - pre-log everything for tomorrow including anticipated supper
    • Put recycling to the curb
    • Make sure car is plugged in and snow-screen on windshield before turning in

JFT (before work only) Jan 30 GOALS
    • out of bed RIGHT when alarm rings
    • NO OPENING A BOOK!
    • weigh-in / 2 X 5 minute HIIT / cook breakfast. (finish by 6:55) PACK breakfast and take to the office to eat.
    • Check Google Maps / Directions for traffic time estimate and best route
    • Leave before 7:30

• PackerFanInGB
    Options
    I'm hopping on quick to post goals for tomorrow. I really need to be accountable, and I do so much better when I log on here every day. Work gets busy, and I find if I wait until after I read everyone's posts, I don't have time3 to write goals for myself. So...I'm going to post some now for tomorrow.

I'm thinking of you all and praying for successful job interview, peace for families and in our hearts, good choices, good health, and joy. I have so many more people I'd like to respond to, but I need to get ready for tomorrow and hit the hay... xoxo

Just for Thursday:
    • Journal every bite
    • Drink more water than day before
    • 30 active minutes on my FitBit
    • 2 fruits / 3 veggies
    • No vending machine snacks
    • Eat only when sitting down
    • Be mindful, eat slowly
    • Give myself credit for positive choices
    • Read ARCs
    • Next chapter of Beck's
    • Pick up brother, granddaughter and grandson's birthday cards & mail
    • Finish SU meeting minutes, start studying for Epic AMB CEE
    • Lymphatic massage for arm before bed
    • Gratitude Journal / Podcast / Simple Abundance / Calm App / Read until lights out by 10:30

Word for 2019: tenacity/tenacious I will fight to achieve my goals with the tenacity of a dog with a bone.
  • Faebert
    Options
    Reading posts on here and noting yet again what a bunch of dedicated and supportive mothers are here.

@snowflake1968 - your daughters are clearly wise and articulate just like their mother! You should be so proud of them.

@littleblackskirt - sorry about your worries about your son. I guess the worry never ends when you have kids - even when they’re grown up! I know a few people on here have struggles with their adult children like @mytime6630 and @maryrobinson40. I think it’s so wonderful that you are there for him to listen to his problem and provide support. You are all amazing mothers and an inspiration to me.

And @packerfaninGB - I know you mentioned before that you raised your kids alone. Hope I can do a good job with this myself. Sometimes feels overwhelming!
  • maryrobinson40
    maryrobinson40 Posts: 1,109 Member
    Options
    Today went well. We began our day in the tweens... Lol…... BRRRR
    I only have 134 pages to go and I would have completed my first "read" of this year.
    And I have logged in 155 days... 155 days of accountability and determination.
    I hope a hundred pounds were gone by now... LMBO!!! Nevertheless, I can say I may
    not be where I want to be in weight YET!, but I'm better than I have been, and I am on my way
    towards better, and I'm happy to do so. I WANT TOMORROW TO BE BETTER THAN TODAY🎈🎇🎈

JFT THURSDAY
    WAKE UP EARLY... SAY A PRAYER
    FRESHEN UP/GET DRESSED
    TAKE MEDS AND DRINK V-8 ENERGY
    WALK GIRLS TO BUS STOP AT 7:50 a.m.
    Back home after 8
    Read/Write/Stamps/Mail
    !Hair and Nails
    Laundry to finish
    Soup for lunch
  • Faebert
    Options
    Had a good day yesterday. Although not on a par - at all! - with the crazy weather in the Midwest, we have had some cold and ice and it’s so hard not to just curl up and eat stodgy food! I’m pretty tired but feel I need to keep pushing and make sure L has a great birthday this weekend. On track with presents and party organising - will begin the cake tonight.

Wednesday goals recap
    - morning workout - did the run instead! V icy in places so had to change route but glad it’s done ✅
    - early to work - staff choir ✅
    - print off documents for cover teacher on arrival at work ✅
    - run home lunchtime for car? ❎ too icy
    - planning time in afternoon - no snacking!✅ just a carrot and a few baby tomatoes - win!
    - water✅
    - pick up presents, wrapping paper, napkins and straws after work ✅ presents all wrapped!
    - cash for piano teacher ✅
    - re-read 2019 goals and stay mindful. Be conscious that I haven’t slept enough and will be tired. Remember tiredness makes me hungry but it isn’t true hunger! ✅
    - remind girls to email their grandparents before bed ✅ even got some cards posted on time (birthday-tastic in Feb in this family!)
    - early night!! ❎

Thursday goals
    - morning workout
    - Print and trim work for next week
    - Water!
    - bake cake after work
    - Sort save the date email for older daughter’s birthday
    - Re-read 2019 goals - stay mindful
    - Early night

Have a great day everyone x
  • namelesshere
    namelesshere Posts: 334 Member
    Options
    1/30 Day 23 Had a good day food wise. Only a few cal under so I am happy with that. Tomorrow I head to the quilt retreat so have been busy packing. Hope to keep eating under control for the next 4 days. Have a lot of projects to work on. Today when I woke it was 29 below 0 with a windchill closer to -50. Not looking forward to the walks to the cabin.