Best smart tracker

Options
Hey all! I just started doing HIIT workouts and do them 3x a week. I currently have a Fitbit Alta HR and as much as I love it, HIIT isn’t an option for a workout. Would love to find a tracker that can accurately measure the amount of calories I’m burning. Thanks for any input!
I do HIIT, barre and circuit/strength training.

Replies

• NorthCascades
    NorthCascades Posts: 10,970 Member
    Options
    It's counterproductive to do HIIT more than twice a week, more than once for most people.

HIIT isn't a type of exercise, it's a type of rhythm. I track mine as cycling, because I do hill repeats on a bike.

I'm luck in that a bike is uniquely measurable for calories. When most people these days say HIIT, what they're really doing is calisthenics. But anything is going to be a wild guess.
  • Feelsgood2Bfit
    Feelsgood2Bfit Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    I sum it up as HIIT Bc it’s really called MadPower at my gym. It’s 45 minutes of intense cardio and weights in a 98 degree room.
  • NorthCascades
    Options
    That sounds pleasant!
  • Feelsgood2Bfit
    Options
    It’s amazing and addicting. It’s -25 outside and hot inside!
  • DX2JX2
    DX2JX2 Posts: 1,921 Member
    Options
    I sum it up as HIIT Bc it’s really called MadPower at my gym. It’s 45 minutes of intense cardio and weights in a 98 degree room.

Does the hot room actually do anything for the workout or does it just make you hot? I really don't get the trend of 'hot' exercising.
  • BrianSharpe
    BrianSharpe Posts: 9,248 Member
    Options
    Generally speaking most heart rate monitors / fitness trackers are only reasonably accurate for steady state cardio.
  • Bry_Fitness70
    Bry_Fitness70 Posts: 2,480 Member
    Options
    I use a Garmin Fenix 3 HR for all of my exercise activity. For HIIT, I use the generic "Cardio" category, and it measures the duration, my HR throughout, and calculates the calories burned. This data is then automatically transmitted to MFP, saving the trouble of having to manually enter everything.
  • Phirrgus
    Phirrgus Posts: 1,894 Member
    Options
    I'm using the FB Versa. I had loads of doubts about it and disconnected from MFP, but then started using it again after doing some more reading here.

Worth noting after a months worth of tracking is that at the end of the day, what the Versa shows for calories burned is almost always within ~100 calories or so of my TDEE + workout for that day. If I don't workout that day it generally sits somewhere between 2400-2650 by bedtime. Given that some days at work call for a lot of physical activity and some don't, that seems reasonable to me.
  • NorthCascades
    Options
    It’s amazing and addicting. It’s -25 outside and hot inside!

I keep hearing how cold it is in most of the country. Hope you get some nice weather soon!
  • Feelsgood2Bfit
    Options
    DX2JX2 wrote: »

Does the hot room actually do anything for the workout or does it just make you hot? I really don't get the trend of 'hot' exercising.

So, I just started this 3 weeks ago. It feels amazing to sweat much more than normal. It’s cleansing to my skin and increases my heart rate so much more than just a typical workout. It’s addicting and I replenish electrolytes after class with Nuun tablets. I live in the Midwest and with the sub zero temps, I wouldn’t trade the hot room for anything right now. It’s my tribe of powerful people that love a good challenge! :-)