Is Breakfast Really Good for You? What the Research Says ...

Options

Replies

• missysippy930
    missysippy930 Posts: 2,577 Member
    Options
    MikePTY wrote: »
    An important part of successful weight loss is figuring out what your body responds to and what it doesn't

But that is just personal for me. If you find that you are the type of person who doesn't need breakfast to help you stay on track, then there is no benefit to having it vs. not having it.

^^ really good points and I agree totally.

The so called “experts” seem to change their minds frequently. Telling us what’s bad, good, and indifferent,

Finding what works best for each of us is common sense, and we know ourselves better than anyone else. As long as are getting proper nutrition and calories what and when we eat should be decided individually.
  • JeromeBarry1
    JeromeBarry1 Posts: 10,182 Member
    Options
    If it is published by time.com, that clues me in to suspect that they responded to some advocate with a paper from arXiv.org. No, thanks. Sometimes I have solid food with my keto coffee, sometimes I don't. I've no need of eating on someone else's schedule.
  • neugebauer52
    neugebauer52 Posts: 1,120 Member
    Options
    In our modern times we can have breakfast / lunch / dinner / a snack whenever we want to. We just open the fridge / freezer / cupboard / store room / tin can / plastic bottle / cardboard box / you name it. A million years ago our ancestors had to make a fire first and go out and kill an elephant / goose / some fish / or whatever they enjoyed eating. I find it hard to believe, that they had something to eat first thing in the morning... So now we are told that "breakfast is good for us.... I am sure for some it is, for some it isn't. What counts for me is the total calories eaten - drunk / consumed by the end of the day.
  • leanjogreen18
    leanjogreen18 Posts: 2,492 Member
    Options
    hljjb2019 wrote: »
    I was under the impression that the purpose for breakfast is to feed the brain after having 8 hours of sleep

Your brain is "fed" constently, even when you're sleeping. If someone doesn't feel the need to eat in the AM, their brain will work fine until they have their first meal.

My brain seems to never work fine:)
  • quiksylver296
    quiksylver296 Posts: 28,442 Member
    Options
    I push breakfast as late as possible, usually around 9:30 after getting up at 3:45. Once I eat, my appetite "starts". If I eat earlier, I just get more hungry and eat more calories throughout the day.
  • estherdragonbat
    estherdragonbat Posts: 5,283 Member
    Options
    kshama2001 wrote: »
    Stay within your calorie goal... won’t let me edit the typo for some reason.

Interesting - the edit gear isn't working for me either. Glad to know it's not just me. The Notifications button isn't working for me either.

Couldn't flag spam last night, can't see notifications today. (Granted, didn't have notifications yesterday, so no idea if it's an increasing problem or it's been this way since it started.)
  • Psychgrrl
    Psychgrrl Posts: 3,177 Member
    Options
    I don’t think I’d compare it to tobacco companies funding studies on cigarettes. Eating breakfast isn’t going to cause cancer or even make you gain weight. Nothing in that article says that breakfast is bad for you just that it’s not some miracle for weight loss which yeah, duh.

Totally true! But the cereal company "research" has given credence to one of the biggest fitness myths still in play today. They created research that supported their bottom line. Overtly harmful? No. But still exploitative in my book.
  • suziecue25
    suziecue25 Posts: 289 Member
    edited January 2019
    Options
    One of the best things I like about holidays is......breakfast.
  • OneRatGirl
    OneRatGirl Posts: 124 Member
    Options
    I knew the studies only showed a correlation, not causation. True of many studies people quote constantly. I think I saw it mentioned a few years ago now.

I was well into adulthood before I could stomach breakfast early on regularly. I needed an hour or two up as a kid, I took snacks in to eat at morning break in school.

I only had to learn for some of my tablets, they're really not ideal taken on am empty stomach. Higher risk of stomach ulcers. But I think some people just aren't morning food people, the culture of the "right" time of day to eat annoys me a bit. It's more pseudoscience that ignores CICO.
  • Lillymoo01
    Lillymoo01 Posts: 2,865 Member
    Options
    Breakfast is the most important meal of the day for weight loss if......

You are the type of person that is likely to overeat if you don't have it.

My guess is that the only reasons any studies come back saying that breakfast is most important with weight loss are doing so because more of the population are likely to overeat by skipping it rather than overeat by eating it. I say this because any study I have read shows that the only relevance meal timing has for weight loss is to do with satiety.
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,436 Member
    Options
    Lillymoo01 wrote: »

My guess is that the only reasons any studies come back saying that breakfast is most important with weight loss are doing so because more of the population are likely to overeat by skipping it rather than overeat by eating it. I say this because any study I have read shows that the only relevance meal timing has for weight loss is to do with satiety.

Just anecdote, not data: Breakfast is important to me for weight loss (and productivity in general) because I crash at waking hour 2 or 3 without it. (On early workout days, I might manage 20 minutes at intensity fasted, but will hit a wall about there. With breakfast, no wall, just regular declining output if I try to overdo duration, an effect that comes in for a landing long after the 20 minutes, at equivalent intensity.)

Skipping breakfast kicks me squarely in the energy expenditure, be it NEAT or exercise.

I don't know that it has any particular impact on my appetite, either way, unless I'm stupid enough to go all quick carbs for breakfast. (I skip it so rarely, for reasons that should be obvious at this point).

Not saying this applies to others, but saying I can at least imagine an alternate impact that isn't appetite related.
  • Lillymoo01
    Lillymoo01 Posts: 2,865 Member
    edited February 2019
    Options
    AnnPT77 wrote: »
    Lillymoo01 wrote: »

Just anecdote, not data: Breakfast is important to me for weight loss (and productivity in general) because I crash at waking hour 2 or 3 without it. (On early workout days, I might manage 20 minutes at intensity fasted, but will hit a wall about there. With breakfast, no wall, just regular declining output if I try to overdo duration, an effect that comes in for a landing long after the 20 minutes, at equivalent intensity.)

Skipping breakfast kicks me squarely in the energy expenditure, be it NEAT or exercise.

I don't know that it has any particular impact on my appetite, either way, unless I'm stupid enough to go all quick carbs for breakfast. (I skip it so rarely, for reasons that should be obvious at this point).

Not saying this applies to others, but saying I can at least imagine an alternate impact that isn't appetite related.

I didn't think of that scenario but technically I'd say that is more for medical (and it could be medical for those around me when I become a grumblebum) rather than weight loss reasons. I actually get light headed and dizzy if I don't eat breakfast.
  • elisa123gal
    elisa123gal Posts: 4,290 Member
    Options
    eating breakfast and regular meals is a great strategy to keep hunger under control...leading to weight loss success. that's why eating. breakfast is suggested so much. for some, it makes them actually eat less all day long.
  • paperpudding
    paperpudding Posts: 9,023 Member
    Options
    Me personally - yes breakfast is important

Not particular for weight reasons but just general life.

I always have a small breakfast before work, as I get quite nauseaus and faint feeling by mid morning if I dont
  • brittlb07
    brittlb07 Posts: 313 Member
    Options
    Me personally - yes breakfast is important

Not particular for weight reasons but just general life.

I always have a small breakfast before work, as I get quite nauseaus and faint feeling by mid morning if I dont

I was like this, too, until I started intermittent fasting. I think it was mental for me. Now I feel more alert and less sluggish until lunch! But everyone is different!