Sports bra hacks?

Options
39flavours
39flavours Posts: 1,494 Member
edited January 2019 in Fitness and Exercise
Hi, one for the women: Does anyone have any good suggestions for making sports bras last longer between size transitions as you lose weight? I bought two bras at £30 each at the beginning of the month and they're both now practically useless. I have a short torso so struggle to find ones with enough shoulder adjustment and now these are both too loose on the back and cup. I've only lost about 5 lb this month but it seems to want to come off my chest first and if history is anything to go by then I'm likely to go down 5 cup sizes and two back sizes by the time I'm at goal. I need a way to make my bras fit for longer before having to buy another one. Any ideas?

Replies

• TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    39flavours wrote: »
    Hi, one for the women: Does anyone have any good suggestions for making sports bras last longer between size transitions as you lose weight? I bought two bras at £30 each at the beginning of the month and they're both now practically useless. I have a short torso so struggle to find ones with enough shoulder adjustment and now these are both too loose on the back and cup. I've only lost about 5 lb this month but it seems to want to come off my chest first and if history is anything to go by then I'm likely to go down 5 cup sizes and two back sizes by the time I'm at goal. I need a way to make my bras fit for longer before having to buy another one. Any ideas?

i'd just buy cheap Primark ones till i stopped losing boob weight. if its £4 then it doesn't matter so much that it only lasts a few weeks.
  • 39flavours
    Options
    Thanks, If only I could but I'm 34GG uk and so it has to be something industrial for me! Plus they don't go up that big without going up in back size too
  • LadySaton
    LadySaton Posts: 500 Member
    Options
    I had a friend who would fold over the shoulder bands and use these clips that were like really strong bobby pins to make the shoulder bands last longer. I’m not sure I’m explaining that very well.

For the around-torso weight loss, I buy my bras one size smaller in number and use bra extenders I have left over from my maternity days. Then once I’ve sized down into that bra band size I just wear it as normal until they become too loose on the tightest setting.

I’m not entirely sure what you could do about losing cup sizes. I was a 38GG and now am in a 34G so cup loss has been minimal so far and I’ll probably be running into the same issue soon. For now I will err on the side of a smaller cup if I’m close to the line. The girls might be squished a few weeks until I get a comfy fit that way though. I’m thinking about sewing up some pads to fill out the cups a bit once I lose cup size (if the band size is still working) and thus get longer use out of the bras. I pay at LEAST $50 for a sports bra (and that’s only if I catch a really good sale) so I understand about wanting to get as much use out of them as you can.
  • RunsWithBees
    RunsWithBees Posts: 1,508 Member
    Options
    My size stayed the same throughout weight loss, but I do order my bras and bikinis online on eBay for about $20 US dollars a pop, often I can find them for less too, usually from UK sellers! Have you tried looking on eBay? Also, I buy new, but know people do sell “gently used” bras on there too so maybe you can sell your old ones and recuperate some of your investment. Just an idea :)
  • Duck_Puddle
    Duck_Puddle Posts: 3,224 Member
    Options
    Sorry. This was one of my biggest expenses. I am too large to wear something without industrial strength support and while I didn’t lose a lot of cup size, the proportionate size is smaller as the band size decreases.

The best I could do was to buy a size that I barely squeezed into (just a hair too small) so it would last a bit longer until I shrank out.

I tried getting smaller band sizes and using extender thinking that might get me a little longer too-but that didn’t work out well for me (it might for you if you lose more cup than I did?).
  • Katiebear_81
    Katiebear_81 Posts: 719 Member
    Options
    Hi, I'm a 32GG (for now... breast reduction surgery later this year! Yay!), and bought this one: https://www.amazon.ca/SYROKAN-Womens-Impact-Coverage-Lightly/dp/B019DWQIAQ/ref=sr_1_32?ie=UTF8&qid=1548960779&sr=8-32&keywords=sports+bra. I bought it in a 34F, and it fits ok. I like that it's pretty inexpensive, but it is adjustable at both the shoulder and around the back.
  • Duck_Puddle
    Duck_Puddle Posts: 3,224 Member
    Options
    Hi, I'm a 32GG (for now... breast reduction surgery later this year! Yay!), and bought this one: https://www.amazon.ca/SYROKAN-Womens-Impact-Coverage-Lightly/dp/B019DWQIAQ/ref=sr_1_32?ie=UTF8&qid=1548960779&sr=8-32&keywords=sports+bra. I bought it in a 34F, and it fits ok. I like that it's pretty inexpensive, but it is adjustable at both the shoulder and around the back.

That’s a good point. I wear Moving Comfort (now Brooks) Maia and they are adjustable at the shoulder and back (like a regular bra). That helps considerably when you’re getting smaller and trying to make your bra still fit well.
  • talpaengi
    talpaengi Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    I'm also in the buy-slightly-too-small camp: wearing a 30J now when I ought to be in a 30JJ. The band has stretched out a little, but with weight loss I'm starting to fit into it properly. Chest is the last place I lose though, so this method would last longer for me than it would for you probably. I felt pretty silly wearing a smaller size at first because of the quad boob, but I'm more concerned with keeping things in place and with a baggier shirt it's less apparent. Today's the last day Bravissimo is offering a discount on sports bras with their recent offer (on US and UK sites at least), so if you can spring for one today that at least will cut down on the cost a bit. Bra replacement costs are easily the most dismaying part of weight loss to me.
  • lorrpb
    lorrpb Posts: 11,464 Member
    Options
    For future purchases, get ones with an adjustable fastener in front or back. They’re harder to find, but are out there.
    Also consider Goodwill or other thrift store to get your next one. I always see lots of bras in good condition at these stores, for a few dollars.
    If you’re handy with a sewing machine, I’d suggest trying to take tbd current one in in the middle of the back and possibly straps if needed.
  • 39flavours
    Options
    LadySaton wrote: »
    I had a friend who would fold over the shoulder bands and use these clips that were like really strong bobby pins to make the shoulder bands last longer. I’m not sure I’m explaining that very well.

For the around-torso weight loss, I buy my bras one size smaller in number and use bra extenders I have left over from my maternity days. Then once I’ve sized down into that bra band size I just wear it as normal until they become too loose on the tightest setting.

I’m not entirely sure what you could do about losing cup sizes. I was a 38GG and now am in a 34G so cup loss has been minimal so far and I’ll probably be running into the same issue soon. For now I will err on the side of a smaller cup if I’m close to the line. The girls might be squished a few weeks until I get a comfy fit that way though. I’m thinking about sewing up some pads to fill out the cups a bit once I lose cup size (if the band size is still working) and thus get longer use out of the bras. I pay at LEAST $50 for a sports bra (and that’s only if I catch a really good sale) so I understand about wanting to get as much use out of them as you can.

Absolutely brilliant suggestions, thank you! I will definitely be doing the bra extender thing and will look out for strong clips for the shoulder straps. I was actually thinking of padding the cups out to take up the extra room. Plus it will be hilarious to one day go voila! And have my boobs shrink four sizes in one day!
  • tcunbeliever
    tcunbeliever Posts: 8,219 Member
    Options
    Panache makes their sports bras with a J hook so you can use them either as a regular bra or a racerback bra.

Something like that would extend the life of it, particularly for someone with a short torso, and there are probably cheaper brands with that feature.

Or, if you can sew at all, you might be able to just take in the band and/or shorten the straps to get a little more life out of them...it's an item people don't generally see and you are going to continue shrinking out of them so no need to fret if the stitching isn't exactly perfect.
  • 39flavours
    Options
    My size stayed the same throughout weight loss, but I do order my bras and bikinis online on eBay for about $20 US dollars a pop, often I can find them for less too, usually from UK sellers! Have you tried looking on eBay? Also, I buy new, but know people do sell “gently used” bras on there too so maybe you can sell your old ones and recuperate some of your investment. Just an idea :)

Thank you, yes I have bought from eBay but usually can't find anything cheaper in my size. I would also get new bras coz second hand ones might not be up to the job!

With selling my old ones, I have to confess that I'm prone to holding onto my 'fat' clothes, y'know, just in case...
  • 39flavours
    Options
    Sorry. This was one of my biggest expenses. I am too large to wear something without industrial strength support and while I didn’t lose a lot of cup size, the proportionate size is smaller as the band size decreases.

The best I could do was to buy a size that I barely squeezed into (just a hair too small) so it would last a bit longer until I shrank out.

I tried getting smaller band sizes and using extender thinking that might get me a little longer too-but that didn’t work out well for me (it might for you if you lose more cup than I did?).

Thanks, I tried to squeeze into an old one this morning, I didn't like the boob-quad that it gave me so decided that going to the gym like that wasn't going to happen!
  • 39flavours
    Options

That's a really cute bra! Alas they don't have my size and I can't find it on Amazon uk :( thanks anyway and Yayy to your breast reduction!! I think I'll be needing a bit of surgery to get rid of sag when I get down to goal. I ended up 30E/DD last time but they were pretty sorry looking :/
  • 39flavours
    Options
    talpaengi wrote: »
    I'm also in the buy-slightly-too-small camp: wearing a 30J now when I ought to be in a 30JJ. The band has stretched out a little, but with weight loss I'm starting to fit into it properly. Chest is the last place I lose though, so this method would last longer for me than it would for you probably. I felt pretty silly wearing a smaller size at first because of the quad boob, but I'm more concerned with keeping things in place and with a baggier shirt it's less apparent. Today's the last day Bravissimo is offering a discount on sports bras with their recent offer (on US and UK sites at least), so if you can spring for one today that at least will cut down on the cost a bit. Bra replacement costs are easily the most dismaying part of weight loss to me.

Thanks, I'll check out Bravissimo online bit really need to try before I buy. Maybe I could return if they're the wrong size...

I wear shock absorber bras, they have back and shoulder adjustment and have a higher clip as well as the main clip to give extra support, but the shoulders are always too long.
  • Katiebear_81
    Katiebear_81 Posts: 719 Member
    Options

That's a really cute bra! Alas they don't have my size and I can't find it on Amazon uk :( thanks anyway and Yayy to your breast reduction!! I think I'll be needing a bit of surgery to get rid of sag when I get down to goal. I ended up 30E/DD last time but they were pretty sorry looking :/

Thanks! I'm pretty much at goal weight (5-10 lbs swing), so I'm not expecting too much more for changes in body composition. I'm able to get the surgery funded through my provincial health care, so it isn't costing me anything, and I'm SO thankful.

Once you're at goal weight, you should see if your NHP will fund a lift/reduction for you. :)
  • 39flavours
    Options
    lorrpb wrote: »
    For future purchases, get ones with an adjustable fastener in front or back. They’re harder to find, but are out there.
    Also consider Goodwill or other thrift store to get your next one. I always see lots of bras in good condition at these stores, for a few dollars.
    If you’re handy with a sewing machine, I’d suggest trying to take tbd current one in in the middle of the back and possibly straps if needed.

Thanks, yes I think I will try and sew them smaller, just need to get some really strong thread! I'm pretty clueless with a needle and thread but it's worth a try!
  • 39flavours
    edited January 2019
    Options
    Shock Absorber B5044 Women's Run Sports Bra - Black/Silver, 34FF https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B00UUGC9W6/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_i_0u1uCbQY0EW86

This is the one I use
  • 39flavours
    Options

Thanks! I'm pretty much at goal weight (5-10 lbs swing), so I'm not expecting too much more for changes in body composition. I'm able to get the surgery funded through my provincial health care, so it isn't costing me anything, and I'm SO thankful.

Once you're at goal weight, you should see if your NHP will fund a lift/reduction for you. :)

That's really fortunate, surgery can be very exchange! I think the NHS will only provide surgery for things that are damaging to your health or dangerous, not cosmetic procedures. I could say that they're making me depressed etc but to be honest the NHS is suffering so much from government cuts that I don't think I'd want to waste its resources x
  • greyparks206
    greyparks206 Posts: 165 Member
    Options
    Panache makes their sports bras with a J hook so you can use them either as a regular bra or a racerback bra.

Something like that would extend the life of it, particularly for someone with a short torso, and there are probably cheaper brands with that feature.

Yes! This is so true. I have an extremely short torso (have to have EVERY tank-style shirt and dress I buy shortened from the chest up...), and this tip is spot on. I love my Panache sport bras; I’ll probably never buy another brand/model again. I buy them slightly snug to begin with and then use the J-hook to shorten/lift them as they become too big. I’ve lost 60 pounds and, in the process, gone from a 34HH to a 32F and have managed to make due with only having to buy three bras so far.