Looking for Insight on loose skin

2»

Replies

• magnusthenerd
    magnusthenerd Posts: 1,207 Member
    imxnianne wrote: »
    I’ve been researching this for a few weeks. There are too many answers and they all vary. Too really know if you have loose skin or just squishy fats is to lower your body fat percentage. Loose skin is really just wrinkles. Loosing more than 2lbs a week, you’re for sure going to get it if the weight loss is rapid. People think that loose skin is saggy bellys, I thought this too, came to realize that it’s squishy fats. Stubborn squishy fats.. Lower the body fat percentage, eat more lean foods, healthy protein, etc. do lower abs workouts. Leg lifts, butterfly kicks.. it won’t be an over night we but we all can never pull an overnight we with fat.

That’s my opinion and I’m keeping to my word. I’m on that journey right now. Down 4 milestones and need to be more cut to even see the mommy belly vanish.

Hopefully what I said was understandable. Pretty tired from a long day.
    That might be the case for some individuals, but I'm pretty confident that there are people, particularly ones that have been severely obese, that will genuine have loose skin and a pooch regardless of their actual body fat percentage.
    The idea of stubborn fat as I've heard Lyle use it is a different phenomena with a different presentation.
    I also don't think the ab workouts are really that much of a difference. The kind of engagement of the abs in heavy compounds is going to do a lot more muscle building in the core than unweighted high rep activities like the way most people do leg lifts or kicks.
  • CharlieBeansmomTracey
    CharlieBeansmomTracey Posts: 7,682 Member
    imxnianne wrote: »
    I’ve been researching this for a few weeks. There are too many answers and they all vary. Too really know if you have loose skin or just squishy fats is to lower your body fat percentage. Loose skin is really just wrinkles. Loosing more than 2lbs a week, you’re for sure going to get it if the weight loss is rapid. People think that loose skin is saggy bellys, I thought this too, came to realize that it’s squishy fats. Stubborn squishy fats.. Lower the body fat percentage, eat more lean foods, healthy protein, etc. do lower abs workouts. Leg lifts, butterfly kicks.. it won’t be an over night we but we all can never pull an overnight we with fat.

That’s my opinion and I’m keeping to my word. I’m on that journey right now. Down 4 milestones and need to be more cut to even see the mommy belly vanish.

Hopefully what I said was understandable. Pretty tired from a long day.

then you must not have seen people with enough loose skin who have to have it cut off,its not squishy fat,its skin that has been stretched too far. losing more than 2 lbs a week for those over 400 lbs is fine short term. I have a friend who was over 500lbs hes down to close to 300 and he has saggy skin,its not fat if skin stretches too fat and you dont have enough elasticity it can tear(causing stretch marks) or it can just be stretched out(sort of like a shirt with a stretched out neck) too far and there is no bouncing back. its not fat.

as for lowering body fat its not going to matter if you have a lot of loose excess skin and all the healthy foods and workouts in the world is not going to help with loose skin. a person can get down to a very low percent of body fat and still have a lot of loose skin. losing weight fast can be the cause but not always the case. There is a difference between loose skin and squishy fat.if its fat it eventually comes off (some small percent made need lipo or something along those lines) if its loose skin and hasnt bounced back then surgery will be needed to remove it if the person wants to go that route.because it wont bounce back. genetics,age,etc all play a part too
  • walkingfit2016
    walkingfit2016 Posts: 5 Member
    I lost over 100 lbs in 6 years and I still have loose and wrinkled skin 2 years later.I'm 64 and since I'm not a model by any means it no longer bothers me.
  • wanderingarcher
    wanderingarcher Posts: 694 Member
    @sgriska That’s what I’m running into right now. Parts of me are starting to look gaunt, I’m dropping in performance, and my energy levels are low. It’s time to stop trying to lose the loose skin (et al).
  • sgriska
    sgriska Posts: 109 Member
    AnnPT77, I’m sorry. I was speaking from frustration at hearing that advice bandied about pretty much every time “it’s not really loose skin!” comes up on the internet, not in specific response to your post. But I’m glad you elaborated and explained because this is all good and I agree. Certainly, my skin looks a lot better at this point than it did halfway through, and I’m actually pleasantly surprised it’s not in a lot worse shape than it is. Yeah, it sags, but it’s not truly redundant, no problems with hygiene or skin breakdown or anything like that you often hear about. So it is really important to stick with it and see where things land when all is said and done.
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 31,953 Member
    sgriska wrote: »
    AnnPT77, I’m sorry. I was speaking from frustration at hearing that advice bandied about pretty much every time “it’s not really loose skin!” comes up on the internet, not in specific response to your post. But I’m glad you elaborated and explained because this is all good and I agree. Certainly, my skin looks a lot better at this point than it did halfway through, and I’m actually pleasantly surprised it’s not in a lot worse shape than it is. Yeah, it sags, but it’s not truly redundant, no problems with hygiene or skin breakdown or anything like that you often hear about. So it is really important to stick with it and see where things land when all is said and done.

I appreciate your initial comment (and this second one, as well). I do post about this issue on various threads (I think people earlier in the process tend to catastrophize beyond probable reality about loose skin, too often).

Your comment has helped me understand that I need to be really, really clear that "ultimate extreme weight loss" is not the answer, and not a healthy goal. Rather, it's about knowing about the time horizons for change, and about how to assess one's personal situation semi-objectively as one moves through the process. In my very strong personal opinion, health should always be the core and guiding goal, even when aesthetics are in the picture for some people.

Thanks! :flowerforyou: