Putting my faith into myself and myfitnesspal.com

Options
:smile: Hello,

I am trying my hardest to lose 10 pounds at a time, times 10 times.....I have let myself get out of control with weight gain and need to be more healthy and feel better, too! I have a form of arthritis that makes me extremely fatigued and it's hard to exercise after working all day.

If anyone can give me ideas or inspiration, it would be appreciated!

Thanks,
Shirley

Replies

• kkjar03
    kkjar03 Posts: 3
    Options
    The weight program I started, I did not do ANY excersize.....now that I have lost 30 pounds, I feel better and am able to do Zumba two nights a week. So, the weight for me was the fatigue...it's hard to excersize when you huff and puff through it and feel like your going to pass out. Eating right and jump starting your motabolizum (didn't spell that right) will help with the energy level. it just takes time....so be patient and HAVE faith in this app, it really is a great souce of information. Hang in there!!!!! :)
  • dakoerber
    dakoerber Posts: 308 Member
    Options
    HI Shirley! Welcome to the site. First you can do this! It won't be easy but if you make up your mind to do it you can do anything. Suggestions for excercise is to find something that you love to do! I found a workout DVD called Turbojam that gets me excited and happy to workout. I miss it if I don't. Try different things so you can figure out what you like to do. Then make it a habit! Make it part of your day like brushing your teeth. Don't think about being tired think about how good you will feel when you lose the weight, get healthy and start feeling better. Because that will happen.

It is great that you have short term and long term goals. Do that with excercise. Make a plan to work out 3 times a week for a month. Thats it. I guarantee that after that month you will be hooked.

You made the first step by joining this site and posting this. Keep going!!!
  • lynchiebaby
    Options
    Hi Shirley,

Im not sure if you would go to the pool or not but have you ever tried water walking?
    Research shows that walking in water provides 12 times the resistance of air, so you’re getting a great workout without the wear and tear on your joints.
    Also yoga exercises are good for people with arthritis.

I know its really hard to get into working out when your not used to it, but i promise once you start to get a feel for it you won't know how you survived without it.

I joined a gym only 6weeks ago and now i go consistently whereas before i never bothered as working 5days a week and coming home to my 5yrs old i didnt think i had the energy.
    But i love it now and its working for me.

Best of luck with it all Shirley, and feel free to add me for some motivation :flowerforyou:
  • Benji49
    Benji49 Posts: 419 Member
    Options
    Welcome to MFP. There is a great group of people on here to help you get to your goals.

I have MS and I understand fatigue - it's not just being tired - it's like your whole body just flips a switch and shuts down. I do small bits of exercise - mostly walking and if I get overheated I have to stop. My body will start to shut down, my vision gets a black cloud around it, vertigo sets in.

My best suggestion is to keep doing a little at a time and listen to your body. The whole "No pain no gain" doesn't work for some of us. I will say that the more weight I lose the easier the walking gets and I've learned to adjust my pace when I feel the vertigo setting in.
  • reedee94
    reedee94 Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    Hi there hope you had a good day today food wise and feelings wise. I have multiple sclerosis and know how hard the fatigue hits. My partner has taken up cycling and being in general good health gets in quite a lot of exercise. I have always felt deflated and guilty that I cannot join in BUT if you have a look on the exercise page lots of things we do like cooking a meal walking real slow gentle stretches housework all have a calorie value. This has spurred me on and because I can have an exercise calorie count, it makes me feel better and I then find I will go out and do 30 mins in the garden. I am definitely moving more which all burns calories. Be a tenacious tortoise like me and chip away it all helps towards losing those pounds. We can do it for sure.