Keto/netcarbs

Options
Is there going to be a way to track net carbs soon? I’m on a ketogenic approach, and net carb calculation is kind of a staple to hit my daily goals. I know this has been asked probably a million times, but I’d like to ask for myself.

Replies

• Fatty_Nuff
    Fatty_Nuff Posts: 273 Member
    Options
    Isn't net carbs just carb grams minus the fiber grams? You have to do it manually. I don't expect they will change this, unless MFP becomes My Keto Pal.
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 34,129 Member
    Options
    Yeah, it's been thoroughly explained and it's not something that's likely to ever make sense.

Set your FOOD page to track Fiber and Carbs, and do a 0.1 second calculation in your head.

Carbs in grams - fiber in grams = net carbs
  • kirbsters
    kirbsters Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    It's also sugar alcohols you have to subtract (NetCarbs is Total Carbs - Fiber - Sugar Alcohol = Total Net Carbs). The problem with MFP is, while it records sugar it does not record sugar alcohol, and when you are Keto you have to find the wrapper to make sure it's subtracted too for a true up on net carbs. For example; my quick 0.1 calculation of my net carbs just based on Carbs minus Fiber today would be 26. But I had these keto friendly "sugar free" cookies that have 6 grams of sugar alcohol, which I have to know to go back and take out to hit my goal of only 20 grams per day. I'm just pointing out how popular Keto is getting, MFP would be wise to include those calculations especially for premium users like myself. Otherwise, their are a lot of other apps out there that are specific to Keto, and they could lose business.
  • drdales
    drdales Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Not all sugar alcohols are the same. Check this out for calorie content. https://foodinsight.org/sugar-alcohols-fact-sheet/

Erythritol is the only near zero calorie sugar alcohol.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,865 Member
    Options
    kirbsters wrote: »
    It's also sugar alcohols you have to subtract (NetCarbs is Total Carbs - Fiber - Sugar Alcohol = Total Net Carbs). The problem with MFP is, while it records sugar it does not record sugar alcohol, and when you are Keto you have to find the wrapper to make sure it's subtracted too for a true up on net carbs. For example; my quick 0.1 calculation of my net carbs just based on Carbs minus Fiber today would be 26. But I had these keto friendly "sugar free" cookies that have 6 grams of sugar alcohol, which I have to know to go back and take out to hit my goal of only 20 grams per day. I'm just pointing out how popular Keto is getting, MFP would be wise to include those calculations especially for premium users like myself. Otherwise, their are a lot of other apps out there that are specific to Keto, and they could lose business.

The problem is that there are database entries from other countries that already have net carbs...so having the calculation in there would make their entries incorrect.

Also, keto is popular at the moment...but there's always a new flavor of the month/year, etc. When I started, paleo was all the rage...at the moment it's keto. No need to go around reprogramming every time a new fad rolls around.

Personally, if I did keto, I'd probably just follow one of those other apps anyway if they're better.