FEEL LIKE GIVING UP

Options
well, I have hit my usually spot where I lose all faith and determination in ever being fit. I just want to give up as much as I know I shouldn’t. Someone please help me stay focused!

Replies

• StephanieBrocious
    StephanieBrocious Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    Tell me about yourself. When did you start? Have you lost weight? inches? gone down in dress sizes?
  • tulips_and_tea
    tulips_and_tea Posts: 5,712 Member
    Options
    I like the questions @try2again asked, so if you answer those you'll not only help yourself but help others to give you some tips and ideas.

Also, you've identified your issue: you reach a certain point and give up. Think of it as a rock on your path. You've tripped over that same rock a couple times now (don't worry, we all have!) but now you KNOW about the rock. Now you can take measures to side-step it. That's where habits and consistency come into play. Keep going down the path with minimal trips and stumbles and you'll reach your goal.
  • puffbrat
    puffbrat Posts: 2,806 Member
    Options
    well, I have hit my usually spot where I lose all faith and determination in ever being fit. I just want to give up as much as I know I shouldn’t. Someone please help me stay focused!

I've been there. What you have to ask yourself is how do you expect to ever get fit if you give up after just a couple weeks. I'm not saying this to be mean. I have to ask myself the same question when I lose motivation. This is a long process. You need to find methods are both enjoyable and sustainable for you. You will have days where you just don't care and start to slip into old habits, but you also need to have days where you force yourself to stay on track regardless of motivation. Because it will be so worth it in the end. With enough time and consistency, the days of no motivation will become fewer and your current methods will become habit.
  • MostlyWater
    MostlyWater Posts: 4,294 Member
    Options
    I remind myself that I don't need perfection. I don't need a perfect, skinny body - I just need to make healthy choices as much as possible.

When you realize that it's not all or nothing, that each meal rests on its own merits, that good choices add up and that real life happens, it's much, much easier.

• try2again
    try2again Posts: 3,562 Member
    Options
    puffbrat wrote: »

I've been there. What you have to ask yourself is how do you expect to ever get fit if you give up after just a couple weeks. I'm not saying this to be mean. I have to ask myself the same question when I lose motivation. This is a long process. You need to find methods are both enjoyable and sustainable for you. You will have days where you just don't care and start to slip into old habits, but you also need to have days where you force yourself to stay on track regardless of motivation. Because it will be so worth it in the end. With enough time and consistency, the days of no motivation will become fewer and your current methods will become habit.

^This. Most long-time users on here who have been successful at weight loss and maintenance will tell you it's less about motivation and more about building lasting habits (small ones, over time) that carry a person through when they are not so motivated.
  • try2again
    try2again Posts: 3,562 Member
    Options
    BZAH10 wrote: »
    I like the questions @try2again asked, so if you answer those you'll not only help yourself but help others to give you some tips and ideas.

I'm afraid @StephanieBrocious deserves the credit for those questions ;)
  • JeromeBarry1
    JeromeBarry1 Posts: 10,182 Member
    Options
    @shanelhall993 What usual spot is that? If, as I suspect, it was the January 31 spot, you'll have a new chance to live the next day. Please choose to.
  • SoleTrainer60
    SoleTrainer60 Posts: 180 Member
    Options
    Don’t give up my dear. We all have them days. I don’t know what type of eating plan you are on, but maybe you just need to change things a bit. The main thing is to eat healthy, use portion control and try to fit exercise into your week. Please make sure to it’s O.K. With your doctor if you have any health problems. It helps me to remember that I am not on a diet I have chosen a healthier lifestyle. When we eat healthy we feel better. Hang in there you can do this. 😊
  • ethalew01
    ethalew01 Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    If you feel like you want to give up, just remember the reason you started in the first place! Nobody said it was going to be easy, but if you push through it, you’ll be happy you did! Best of luck
  • Barfly57
    Barfly57 Posts: 333 Member
    Options
    A year from now you'll be glad you started (or, actually, didn't quit) today. Try to focus less on your ultimate goal and more on what you're doing day to day. Trust the process.
  • elisa123gal
    elisa123gal Posts: 4,290 Member
    Options
    you have the right to feel unmotivated, fed up.. done. Just push through WE all have bad days..the key is to just keep going.. ..hold fast..and keep with your plan. Tweak it for the long haul. Eat food you like, learn how to cook low cal foods you enjoy. If you exercise ..don't over do it.. and do something you enjoy. It takes time to shed pounds..it never happens fast enough..but it does happen. The body is complicated and wonderful.it doesn't lose on demand. Be logical.. this will work for you.. don't give up. you'll be mad at yourself.
  • FutureSkinnyBitchx0x
    Options
    I've been trying this for months and I've felt this way non stop so I understand . Just know we're all here and more people understand what you're going through than you know. I believe in you and just keep going. Lots of love xx
  • Heidijens123
    Heidijens123 Posts: 289 Member
    Options
    Just wanted to say I hope you didn't give up and are rocking your fitness journey today! You deserve to be healthy and happy that you didn't give up.
    If you didn't rock it today, tomorrow it a new day and you totally got this.
  • nrthalji
    nrthalji Posts: 1 Member
    edited February 2019
    Options
    The hardest thing to achieve and also the one that you need most is doing what you have to do to achieve your personal goals while perceiving that the pressure your put yourself in to reach it will certainly make you more distant from it. Once you noticed that this previously unconscious self judgment that made you believe that you needed to be better is harming, you can now look at the facts:
    1) You’re already good enough the way you are
    2) If you want body changes, go for it, but because you will become different, not better. Don’t forget that the people with amazing successful stories, bodies, cars, companies, etc still are people and nobody is more than nobody. Reaching this realization takes off lots of pressure.
    3) The stress and pressure made you doubt of yourself because “you weren’t seeing results”. And this same doubt made you slip more than you should. Yes, you read that right, you are allowed to slip, and by knowing this, you will act less impulsively.

Be calm and be strong! Hope I’ve been helpful.

Edit: And, of course, listen to mr. try2again