I know when to begin can't figure how

I need to lose @ least 50 pds. I'll be 56 in March, African American & in menopause. I keep changing diets because I don't see any results but I have to do something as my weight is taking its toll on my marriage and causing stress. I joined a gym, go every morning. Can't do free weights due to shoulder issue. My biggest problem, what will work best for me? Which diet, eating plan.

Replies

• Je55ica_79
    Je55ica_79 Posts: 276 Member
    Just eat with the the calories that myfitness pal gives you. Make sure you log everyday and everything. Weigh and measure all your food. Stick with it. Remeber You didn't gain it overnight you aren't gonna lose it over night. Go to the success stories here and read a few there has been some very good detailed success stories of people that have lost and maintained their weight for a while now. They will give you a big picture plan of how to go after your goals. Very inspiring and insightful.

Wishing you lots of success and support!

If you want to add me feel free. I'm 39 mom of 4 I've lost 21.5lbs since November working on 80 - 90 more.
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    The good news is that there is no best plan. The life changes you can sustain are the ones that will lead you to success. Whatever plan you use you must sustain a modest deficit. By weighing and logging your food you will learn what portions will keep you at your goal.

My toughest challenge is to stay consistent week to week so I set weekly behavioural goals and check in with myself or with an accountability partner. As I successfully hit one goal I create another.
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 33,937 Member
    Panini911 wrote: »
    Longshore wrote: »
    How bad do you want it? Do you want it more than you want to breath? Can you give up bread,pasta,sugar? If you can say yes to all three of these give Keto a try.

I said YES to sugar bread and pasta (in moderation, within my calorie goal) and NO to KETO and lost 42lbs :)

Yeah. That's just silly. I ate bread, pasta, potatoes, sugar, and every other kind of food.

I'd say to the lady who started the thread:

You can do it. I did it at age 55, and I've kept my weight off using the tools on this site. (I lost 70+ pounds.)

Read around the forums. Log your food. Take a walk. Log your exercise and you can eat a little more.

It's about calories. Pretty simple.

Here are the Most Helpful Posts in the Getting Started forum. There are helpful posts a the tops of all the subforums. Check them out - lots of good info.

https://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10300331/most-helpful-posts-getting-started-must-reads#latest

• BMsJourney
    BMsJourney Posts: 106 Member
    I need to lose @ least 50 pds. I'll be 56 in March, African American & in menopause. I keep changing diets because I don't see any results but I have to do something as my weight is taking its toll on my marriage and causing stress. I joined a gym, go every morning. Can't do free weights due to shoulder issue. My biggest problem, what will work best for me? Which diet, eating plan.

My (best) thought for you (and I'm sure some will disagree)

1. Calories in Vs. Calories out WILL work.
    2. The best diet is one that you feel good about sticking to. My personal one; Anything goes, with moderation If I want chocolate, I eat like 10 gram of dark chocolate, and I'm happy with that. (Doesn't work for everyone though. Also I'm trying to eat less processed food.
    3. As stated by @Silentpadna; Get a food scale. Weigh everything. And please be kind to yourself, don't over restrict, don't select the fastest goal. It's a process, and it works...

Please feel free to friend me or message me for support :smile:
  • amy19355
    amy19355 Posts: 805 Member

read the sticky posts at the top of the GEtting Started Forum. All your answers are there.

calories are kind, and once you figure out how many you need for YOUR lifestyle, age, height and gender then you only need a food scale, and the determination to log your food every day to be sure you don't eat more than needed.

this is the way to avoid "diet plans" and "yo-yo" diets. Just eat the appropriate amount of whatever food you like. It's also the lowest cost way to start because it doesn't require that you buy anything special in order to do it.
    It's easy because you're making and eating the foods you already are used to making and eating.

It really does boil down to PORTION CONTROL and that is managed with a scale to weigh the food accurately.

good luck.
  • Longshore
    Longshore Posts: 221 Member
    Eric Thomas — ‘When you want to succeed as bad as you want to breathe, then you'll be successful.’

LMAO not Literally WOW people!