• AudreyJDuke
    AudreyJDuke Posts: 1,092 Member
    Options
    Great info and support!
  • try2again
    try2again Posts: 3,562 Member
    edited January 2019
    Options
    I’m a sugar addict. I think admitting it is like a ten step program. I can easily eat several pounds of chocolate in a day. It can be emotion, boredom, or just mindlessness. Sometimes I just enjoy the texture (I’m talking to YOU Cadbury mini eggs!). When I got serious this time, I culled the pantry and freezer for anything sweet or tempting or snack-ish, and took them all to the next door neighbor and the food pantry. Every morning I have a smoothie of a cup of almond milk, a frozen banana, a tablespooon of almond butter, a tablespoon of cocoa powder, a quarter cup of dried rolled oats, and ice. It tastes so much like ice cream that within a few days, it had completely eliminated my craving for sugar. I just had a horrible afternoon at the dentist, culminating with emergency dental surgery in a couple of days (everything will be closed here tomorrow because we have snow in the forecast). Normally I would have stopped for chocolates to sooth my mangled nerves, but all I could thing about was getting home and making “my” smoothie. If I have calories left over in the evening, I’ll have it again, sans almond butter and oatmeal.

I often have a similar smoothie and I agree, it tastes a lot like actual ice cream. I was curious, so I checked my food log and sure enough, 100 g of banana has more sugar than a serving of ice cream (of my Blue Bunny chocolate anyway)! In fact, I had my homemade double chocolate mocha cake today and noticed it has less sugar than my typical banana/unsweetened almond milk/pea protein powder smoothie. Don't get me wrong... you also get some good nutrients & fiber from that banana, but your body doesn't differentiate between the sugar in it and the sugar in anything else. My point being, some of us are quick to label ourselves as having a weakness for sugar, when actually it's just a weakness for some highly palatable combination of sugar, fats, and usually in my case, cocoa. I know I could be locked up in my house with nothing but lollipops, cotton candy, and sacks of sugar and be completely safe! ;)

But you actually reminded me of a compelling reason I want to reduce sweets... dental problems! I always had perfect teeth, but my later-in-life over-indulging in sweet treats resulted in several cavities and a nightmare root canal that I definitely never want to repeat! I need to remind myself of that when my husband brings home his grocery bags full of post-holiday clearance chocolates.
  • CharlieBeansmomTracey
    CharlieBeansmomTracey Posts: 7,682 Member
    Options
    dwmrphy44 wrote: »
    I have the same issue with sugar cravings.
    This really works for me: I have replaced one meal a day with a smoothie made from Shakeology or Vega. ( no, I 'm not a rep for either of these companies).
    I add frozen fruit ( frozen peaches or strawberries or blueberries, raspberries, banana etc)- this is really important for the flavor and consistency. I add some Crystal light lemonade powder, then the protein powder ( Shakeology or Vega) and maybe a splash of a Torani sugar free syrup, any flavor that seems like it would be complimentary to the fruit. I use non-fat milk (for the calcium) but I have also used almond or coconut milk. There is something in the Shakeology that truly curbs sugar cravings. Really. The end consistency is like a slightly thinned ice cream.

I swear by my Ninja blender - I have tried virtually all other brands, but Ninja handles whatever you throw at it like a pro.

A warning: if you buy the Shakeology ( it's pricey), start with HALF a scoop and increase it gradually over a couple weeks to a full scoop, if you desire. ( Full scoop right off the bat will cause gas and diarrhea for some people)
    Shakeology comes in many interesting flavors. It is nutritious and tasty.
    Vega doesn't work as well to curb the cravings, but is also tasty and nutritious..
    I usually cut the Shakeology half/half with the Vega to make it last longer. Still works to curb the sugar cravings.

a quality protein powder would be better and a bit cheaper. and I dont see anything in their ingredients that would help curb cravings. the old formula what I can find had chromium which may help with cravings but the new formula makes no mention of it. and they now use cane sugar in it. so
  • doglady2002
    doglady2002 Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    Sugar addict here also going to be checking in and joining you all!