Is MFP being to generous with my calories?

Options
Hi guys!

I am a 5'7 female that weighs 194lbs. MFP allows me 1,754 per day. Is that too generous? I would like to lose 1 lb per week and I am lightly active.

Replies

• angelsja
    angelsja Posts: 860 Member
    Options
    On a day I just sit at home I burn around 1900 I'm 5ft 8 186lbs at your height and weight 1754 seems accurate it means mfp estimates your TDEE 2250 there or there abouts
  • Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 24,944 Member
    Options
    What makes you think you're lightly active?

And this ...
    Try it for 6 weeks, see what the scales do.

• roachrypt
    roachrypt Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    Myfitnesspal operates by calculating your TDEE and then subtracting from that for a projected weight loss. One pound of fat is 3,500 calories. So, to lose one pound of fat a week you would have to be eating 500 calories under your TDEE a day. 500 x 7 = 3,500. So if you ever want to check if your weight loss is being projected correctly, find out your TDEE (there are calculators online just google it) and then do the math from there.
  • neugebauer52
    neugebauer52 Posts: 1,120 Member
    Options
    I know how it feels - but if I want to lose all that extra weight, I finally have to trust someone - and for the last 306 days I have trusted MFP. So far so good, I am losing weight.
  • NovusDies
    NovusDies Posts: 8,940 Member
    Options

+1

If you don't have one I suggest getting a food scale and really nail down your logging by weighing all your solid food. I also suggest maintaining a healthy skepticism about the accuracy of the MFP food database. The more accurate your logging the more likely you will be able to adjust your calories with confidence as needed. Knowing for sure you are in a deficit can really help when the bathroom scale goes up or refuses to budge for weeks at a time.
  • estherdragonbat
    estherdragonbat Posts: 5,283 Member
    Options
    Rayanne203 wrote: »
    Hi guys!

I am a 5'7 female that weighs 194lbs. MFP allows me 1,754 per day. Is that too generous? I would like to lose 1 lb per week and I am lightly active.

No, that sounds about right. I'm 5'3. My starting weight was 254lbs and to lose 1lb/week it gave me 1720 at sedentary. Note that as you shrink, your calorie needs will too. I'm currently around 147lbs and was on 1360, 2 weeks ago (I'm currently on a maintenance break until Sunday, so I'm on 1590 till then.)
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 34,015 Member
    Options
    Have you tried it for a while? That's the only way you'll know. It sounds about right though. We all have to run that experiment - it's impossible for us to say whether you're lightly active or not.

As an example, I'm retired and live in a small place and I truly am sedentary outside of my purposeful exercise. I have to eat at the ACTIVE setting in order to maintain my weight. So this site underestimates by two activity levels. I actually eat on average 400-500 calories more than the sedentary setting (PLUS I eat extra exercise calories.) I learned this by logging food for a long time. That's the only way - to run your own experiment.

Here's MFP's explanation of how they set your calories:

From Help at the top of the page: How does MyFitnessPal calculate my initial goals?

• BumbyDog
    BumbyDog Posts: 70 Member
    Options
    I'm 5'1" , sendentary, starting weight 149lbs and want to lose 1 lb a week and it's given me 1200 net calories. I find it hard to eat only that much. I feel like MFP is being mean with my cals allowance! :smiley:
  • estherdragonbat
    estherdragonbat Posts: 5,283 Member
    Options
    Well, you can either set to lose 1/2lb per week or up your exercise.
  • yirara
    yirara Posts: 9,442 Member
    Options
    Hi guys!

Doesn't sound like it. You ate quite a lot more than this to gain weight <3
  • lin_be
    lin_be Posts: 393 Member
    Options
    It sounds about right. I’m 5’7” and sedentary (work from home). I followed MFPs calorie suggestions and lost 61lbs. I miss the days when I could eat 1700 and lose 1lb a week. Enjoy every calorie while you can.
  • Rayanne203
    Rayanne203 Posts: 207 Member
    Options
    Machka9 wrote: »
    What makes you think you're lightly active?

And this ...

Hey :)

I figure I'm lightly active (at minimum) because I work on my feet 12 hours 4 times a week and care for a rambunctious 5 year old. I also aim to go to the gym 4 times per week on my days off.

1700 calories sounds like a lot!
  • Rayanne203
    Options
    angelsja wrote: »
    On a day I just sit at home I burn around 1900 I'm 5ft 8 186lbs at your height and weight 1754 seems accurate it means mfp estimates your TDEE 2250 there or there abouts

thank you for your reply! :)
  • Rayanne203
    Options
    I know how it feels - but if I want to lose all that extra weight, I finally have to trust someone - and for the last 306 days I have trusted MFP. So far so good, I am losing weight.

Thank you, your reply is encouraging :)
  • Rayanne203
    Options
    Hi guys!

No, that sounds about right. I'm 5'3. My starting weight was 254lbs and to lose 1lb/week it gave me 1720 at sedentary. Note that as you shrink, your calorie needs will too. I'm currently around 147lbs and was on 1360, 2 weeks ago (I'm currently on a maintenance break until Sunday, so I'm on 1590 till then.)

Thank you so much! It helps hearing what other people are getting for their calories :) congrats on your weight loss!
  • Rayanne203
    Options
    Have you tried it for a while? That's the only way you'll know. It sounds about right though. We all have to run that experiment - it's impossible for us to say whether you're lightly active or not.

As an example, I'm retired and live in a small place and I truly am sedentary outside of my purposeful exercise. I have to eat at the ACTIVE setting in order to maintain my weight. So this site underestimates by two activity levels. I actually eat on average 400-500 calories more than the sedentary setting (PLUS I eat extra exercise calories.) I learned this by logging food for a long time. That's the only way - to run your own experiment.

Here's MFP's explanation of how they set your calories:

From Help at the top of the page: How does MyFitnessPal calculate my initial goals?

Thank you for your reply and offering this resource! I am definitely, at a minimum, lightly active. I am a student nurse full time and a mom to a young child. I move around lots lol.
  • Rayanne203
    Options
    yirara wrote: »
    Hi guys!

Doesn't sound like it. You ate quite a lot more than this to gain weight <3

I certainly did! lol. logging my food really helped me see how much I was really putting into my body!