Eating Healthy and Working Graveyard/Night Shift. Any suggestions?

Options
Hey everyone! I need some help and, or suggestions desperately. I work at a homeless shelter at the moment and I work graveyard from 12:30am - 8:30am in the morning, which makes it extremely difficult for me focusing on my weight loss goals. Before I started my new job which was back in July of 2018, I lost 60lbs but since July and because of my hectic schedule, I have gained almost 40lbs! :( I'm always hungry and sometimes its difficult for me to concentrate on my goals, and sometimes I just want to binge and eat fast food which I have been doing since I started my job. I probably eat fast food about five times a week now, which is insane! I cant keep doing this to my body but for some reason, its like I cant stop my new unhealthy ways. Are there anyone in here that works the night shift as well and if so, what do you do when it comes to eating healthy? what is your routine like? and what are your suggestions that you can give to me? I would welcome any suggestions, or advice at this point. Thanks!

Replies

• Fflpnari
    Fflpnari Posts: 975 Member
    Options
    I take protein shakes or bars with me. I drink lots of water.m I get really thirsty in the evening and at night. food prep. Basically do the same as when you lost 60. You know what to do and you can do this!
  • emmamcgarity
    emmamcgarity Posts: 1,594 Member
    Options
    I don’t work nights but I do work long hours. Preparation is the key. I used to buy lots of fruit and veggies planning to prepare them, but my laziness prevented me from
    preparing successfully. Now I buy prepared components that I can mix and match quickly in my lunch. Some of these convenience foods cost a little more but I am saving in food waste. Pre boiled eggs, pre sliced apples, pre cut celery & carrots, pre packaged cheese squares or mozzarella sticks, single serve low carb yogurt, frozen grilled chicken breasts, single serve cookie packages (100 calories each pack). In the morning while my coffee is brewing, I put a yogurt, 2 cups of fruit, 1 cup veggies, 1 boiled egg, a shallow container with a grilled chicken breast mixed with frozen veggies) into my lunch bag. This is enough food for me to have breakfast, lunch, and snacks throughout my day and is lower calorie than my fast food options.
  • ejohndrow
    ejohndrow Posts: 1,399 Member
    Options
    Food prep.

Identify the hours you will start and end eating, so for me it was about 4pm to 4am when I worked nights.

Plan your day out, snacks and meals, and stick to the plan. Have your coffee, tea, whatever to stay awake, but make sure and drink plenty of water too.

Stick to your plan.
  • katiegoidich
    katiegoidich Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Hey, Katherine! I worked nights (10pm-7am) for most of my 20s & 30s and had the same difficulties you described. What worked for me then was: prepping my breakfast & lunch before bed, eating mostly veg with tuna or poached chicken, and being REALLY conscientious about sleep hygiene.
    Figuring out when to sleep was the hardest part for me since it affected everything else! When to exercise, what time to stop caffeine (so hard!), what time to eat, whether I ran errands... I had to get very deliberate about my daily routine so that my sleep could be as good as possible. I'm strongly diurnal so when the sky's awake, I'm awake; so I minimized my sun exposure after work, and got up "early" (4 or 5pm) to exercise and do chores or errands that couldn't wait til weekend. I kept a food-sleep diary back then, which helped me fine tune my routine. My sleep wasn't as good as when I worked days, but it was as good as it could be.
    I feel your pain about fast food! My trick to avoid it (then and now) is not carrying cash and using whatever lunch break I get to take a walk. No cash means I won't go in on a group order, and going walkies means I won't hit a drive thru with my debit card at lunch. (And I put my purse in the trunk if I think I'll be tempted on the way home.)
    I have so much respect and admiration for you! I wasn't brave enough to ask advice back then and I struggled more than I needed to as a result.
  • kam26001
    kam26001 Posts: 2,799 Member
    Options
    Some of the major fast food chains do offer some low calorie items.

Taco Bell Crunchy Taco (170 cals)
    Chick-fil-A Grilled Nuggets (140 cals/8 pieces)
    McDonald's Southwest Grilled Chicken Salad (350 cals)

Just to name a few. Those are all pretty good, too.