Need some help with Target HR Zones???

Options
I am trying to figure out what the ideal HR zone for me would be and could use some help. I want to be sure that I am making my workouts as effective as possible. Here are my stats:

Current wt: 147.9 lbs
Height: 5'1"
GW: 120-125lbs

Heres what I usually get on my HRM as of now:
Lowest HR when sedentary: 62
Lowest while working out: 88
Avg. workout HR: 148
Highest workout HR: 196

My HRM has zones to set while you exercise and I am not sure what the ideal range for me to stay in is?? Any advice or ways to calculate this??

Thanks and let me know if you need any other info....

Replies

• tgbz86
    tgbz86 Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    Seems like you're doing fine. Your average should probably be 155-160bpm for longer cardio burn sessions (60+ consecutive minutes) and 160-170bpm for cardio less than 50-60min.
    --Below is from a program I did...I just copy/pasted it.

Finding YOUR Target Heart Rate:
    Step 1) Calculate your maximal heart rate using the formula: 220 - your age = MHR
    Step 2) Find your Target Heart Rate Zone. Now that you have your MHR, your particular health goals will determine at which percentage of this number you should be exercising at. Here is a breakdown of 5 Heart Rate Training Zones that have been set for particular goals.

Zones
    Moderate Activity – 50%-60% of MHR
    Goal – Great for beginners, those in extremely poor condition and those primarily interested in exercising for weight loss because the body burns a higher blend of fat calories than carbohydrate calories for its fuel.
    *Weight Management – 60%-70% of MHR
    Goal –Weight management & strengthening your heart, giving it the opportunity to work at its optimum level. Also known as the “aerobic fitness threshold” because from this point forward, your body begins to reap the positive effects of aerobic exercise.
    *Aerobic – 70%-80% of MHR
    Goal – Benefits not only your heart but also your respiratory system. Increases your endurance and enhances your aerobic power, which is the ability to transport oxygen to, and carbon dioxide away from the sport-specific muscles. Increases your MET (Metabolic Equivalent) output.
    Anaerobic Threshold – 80%-90% of MHR
    Goal – High performance training benefits. Increase your body’s ability to metabolize lactic acid, allowing you to train harder before crossing over into the pain of lactate accumulation and oxygen debt.
    Red-Line – 90%-100% of MHR
    Goal – Only extremely fit athletes work in this zone on a limited frequency and duration. Operating in oxygen debt to train metabolic pathways of fast twitch muscle fibers, not endurance pathways or enzymes.
    Sources: Sally Edwards, The Heart Rate Monitor Book, (Fleet Press, 1994), pp. 56-64;
    Edmund R. Burke, PhD, Precision Heart Rate Training, (Human Kinetics Publishers, Inc. 1998), p. 33.

Step 3) Calculate your target heart range is using the Karvonen Formula:
    Target Heart Rate = {(max HR − resting HR) × %Intensity or “zone”} + resting HR
    Example: RHR = 70bpm MHR = (220 - 25years = 195 bpm)
    Karvonen: {(195-70) x .60} + 70 = 145 60%= 145 bpm 70%= 158 bpm 80%= 170 bpm
    Your RHR: ________bpm
    Your MHR: ________bpm
    Your THR: ______%=_________bpm
    ______%=_________bpm
    ______%=_________bpm
  • Tiggerrick
    Tiggerrick Posts: 1,078 Member
    Options
    From what I've learned, Lactic acid starts building up at around 90% of MAX HR. If you want some anaerobic burns, then you want to go above 90% of max. Other than that, lower HR zones burn more FAT (because the fat has time to break down), higher HR zones burn carbs and may cause Protein breakdown for energy too; but don't let that get you too concerned. Even if you are burning carbs or protein (and both are not unavoidable under all circumstances,) your body will eventually have to break down FAT in order to replenish the levels of glucose in your bloodstream. Proteins can build up again from your diet. Don't worry too much about HR zones unless you are going for those quick/anaerobic burns during HIIT (high intensity interval trainings), and then you are looking for those above 90% burns.

On my cycling, the only time I let my HR Zone get above 90% are on some of the hills I take or if I am doing short rides (under 10miles).
  • abby459
    abby459 Posts: 748 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the info......I had my goal range as Zone 3 on my HRM, but during my 40min run today, it says that I only stayed in this target range for 9 mins....so I wasnt sure if I should change the range or pay more attention to my HR throughout my workout.