Solutions for Clothes Not Fitting

Options
So since I have started losing weight, my jeans and pants just don't fit well anymore. They are baggy around the bum and the waist is super loose. I know I am going to lose a few more inches so I want to hold off on buying new clothes, but I feel I look silly and I am not comfortable with my clothes becoming baggy.

Does anyone have any suggestions on how to make your clothes fit a bit better in the "in between" stage? I mean, my pants are not falling off or anything, it is just obvious that they are loosening a lot.

Maybe someone knows a good trick or a quick sewing technique. Please share! :)

Replies

• Rae6503
    Rae6503 Posts: 6,294 Member
    Options
    Hit up Goodwill, Target or Kohls on a sale? For a while you can belt them but once the butt gets ultra baggy they just look stupid, especially jeans. It's sad.
  • melaniecheeks
    melaniecheeks Posts: 6,349 Member
    Options
    Oh I hear ya!

It's hard to adjust trousers - some can be cinched in with a belt. But they usually look wrong.

Dresses are a bit easier, and I found a large black belt and a large red belt helped get more wear out of those.
  • ruststar
    ruststar Posts: 489 Member
    Options
    You may just have to buy a few items that fit you properly - trust me, you will feel so much better. Don't buy a whole new wardrobe, but a few key pieces to hold you over, like dresses and pants with belt loops that can help you ride through the transition to a smaller size.
  • PrairieRoseNE
    PrairieRoseNE Posts: 265 Member
    Options
    For blouses that are too large around the middle I've been taking in the side seams using my sewing machine. So they fit more tailored.

For denim jeans it's hard to alter them because the fabric is rough on the sewing machine - but it can be done if you are careful. I've taken in the inside seam, on a couple pairs of light weight denim jeans - it's easier to deal with versus the outside seam, esp if your jeans have pockets.
    Changing the waistline is not something I've tried to do - I just cinch up with a belt.

Lighter weight fabrics are easier to work with.
  • megz4987
    megz4987 Posts: 1,008 Member
    Options
    I'm having the same problem.
    The butt and legs of my pants are so loose it looks like my butt completely deflated and it's unattractive and sloppy. I'm planning on hitting up kmart for some decent pants. I don't have the $ to buy a new wardrobe everytime I go down a size so... plan is, buy a nice pair of dress pants and a nice pair of jeans, at cheap, and off I go until next time :)
  • Diary_Queen
    Diary_Queen Posts: 1,314 Member
    Options
    Everything I buy now, loving called my interim clothes, has stretch and an elastic waist. When those get too small in the waist, I just cut at a seam, take out some elastic, sew it back up and go about my business. The thighs are loose and often I eventually have to have a new hem at the ankles since my body isnt taking up as much room as before to shorten the material to the right length (or when Im lazy, wear higher heeled shoes!!!). There are so many discount stores that I go to now. Goodwill, Salvation Army, Dollar stores and outlet stores. If I spend more than $5 on a pair of pants, then it will be like wasting money. They arent going to fit me for that long. I have started donating clothes too. That makes me feel much better about it and keeps the big size clothes that arent as easy to alter out of my house.
  • lbeasey
    lbeasey Posts: 254 Member
    Options
    Hit up Goodwill for the transition...can always find a pair or 2 of decent pants to wear in the in between stage.
  • worldhurdler
    worldhurdler Posts: 153 Member
    Options
    You can also try going to a tailer, especially for some of your favorite pieces or professional wear. Spending $15-20 on getting darts put in the waist is a whole lot cheaper than a new pair of pants that won't last for very long! You'll feel a lot more confident walking around in non-frumpy clothes that show off your success, too =)
  • Gigi_licious
    Gigi_licious Posts: 1,185 Member
    Options
    Hit good will or a thrift store close to a somewhat upper class area so you can find good stuff for cheap.
  • theblondetrick
    theblondetrick Posts: 192 Member
    Options
    maybe you can find some old clothes that now fit you again?
  • djkshdfd
    djkshdfd Posts: 443 Member
    Options
    For blouses that are too large around the middle I've been taking in the side seams using my sewing machine. So they fit more tailored.

For denim jeans it's hard to alter them because the fabric is rough on the sewing machine - but it can be done if you are careful. I've taken in the inside seam, on a couple pairs of light weight denim jeans - it's easier to deal with versus the outside seam, esp if your jeans have pockets.
    Changing the waistline is not something I've tried to do - I just cinch up with a belt.

Lighter weight fabrics are easier to work with.

The blouse idea has always worked out well for me but it looks like I might just needs to invest in an inexpensive pair of jeans in the meantime...
  • dayzeerock
    dayzeerock Posts: 918 Member
    Options
    I'm just dealing with looking fugly in my clothes. It's my fault I put on the weight and had to buy bigger clothes, so I'll suffer the consequences until I reach my goal, lol.

Sidenote, my boss refers to the pants I'm wearing today my "Depends" pants, because they're so loose I seriously look like I s.hit myself!
  • lmarshel
    lmarshel Posts: 674 Member
    Options
    My hubby and I are both losing weight now, and we have been buying our in-between clothes at local Goodwill stores. The price is certainly right, and you can find some really nice clothes in very good condition. We try to go to the stores in the better areas of town. They seem to have the higher end brands. I just bought a pair of Anne Klein pants that look spectacular for only 99 cents!
  • djkshdfd
    Options
    maybe you can find some old clothes that now fit you again?

Tried that today, but I am still a bit to big for those still :)
  • djkshdfd
    Options
    I'm just dealing with looking fugly in my clothes. It's my fault I put on the weight and had to buy bigger clothes, so I'll suffer the consequences until I reach my goal, lol.

Sidenote, my boss refers to the pants I'm wearing today my "Depends" pants, because they're so loose I seriously look like I s.hit myself!

Hahaha, you literally just made me laugh in my cubicle!
  • JennetteMac
    JennetteMac Posts: 763 Member
    Options
    3 thoughts;
    1) safety pins work fine on trousers, round the back or one each side. Very temporary, but It does for a while.
    2) Charity shops are great, they take my old clothes and I find good stuff in my new size for small money.
    3) Let your clothes show everyone how much weight you've lost! My biggest impetus and inspiration comes from workmates and friends telling me how much slimmer I look and how my clothes don't fit! Enjoy that feeling!
  • saralye
    saralye Posts: 10
    Options
    If you want cheap clothes, that are not second-hand for the interim, try shopping at New York & Company. Sign up for their e-mailing list and they will send you awesome deals almost every day like $20 off a $45 purchase, or $60 off a $120 purchase. What's more, all their coupons can be combined together so you can conceivably get something off the sale rack that is already dirt cheap, apply a coupon, and you can end up getting a nice pair of trousers there for only $10 or even less! Their clothes are really stylish and fit women really well at any weight, so it's my go-to shop in the mall. (Bonus: their sizes run a bit big, so you might find yourself "dropping a dress size" ;-))

When you've reached your goal weight, find a tailor you trust, and take all your old favorites to the tailor - tell her to take that s*** in! You will feel so good about yourself and rather than a big, expensive shopping spree, you'll be spending the money on things you know you already love to wear. Best of all, she will make your clothes fit you like a glove - something you can't get at Macy's for any price. Good luck!
  • teri1956
    teri1956 Posts: 221 Member
    Options
    Everything I buy now, loving called my interim clothes, has stretch and an elastic waist. When those get too small in the waist, I just cut at a seam, take out some elastic, sew it back up and go about my business. The thighs are loose and often I eventually have to have a new hem at the ankles since my body isnt taking up as much room as before to shorten the material to the right length (or when Im lazy, wear higher heeled shoes!!!). There are so many discount stores that I go to now. Goodwill, Salvation Army, Dollar stores and outlet stores. If I spend more than $5 on a pair of pants, then it will be like wasting money. They arent going to fit me for that long. I have started donating clothes too. That makes me feel much better about it and keeps the big size clothes that arent as easy to alter out of my house.

That's not lazy - that's resourceful!!! :wink:
  • kyle4jem
    kyle4jem Posts: 1,400 Member
    Options
    I have a load of "thin clothes" packed away in storage, but I also have practially every size jeans from 36" to my current 44". (what can I say, I'm a Scot and I hate to part with anything that isn't past its best :laugh: )

I think for your own peace of mind, it might be best to invest a little in some budget jeans/slacks. In the UK we have places like Tesco and Asda (part of the Wall-Mart family) that do ok clothes at a fraction of fashion-store prices. They'll not win any awards from the catwalk, but they're not so awful. Charity shops are also good places to look.
  • meerkat70
    meerkat70 Posts: 4,616 Member
    Options
    Do you not have shops in the US that you could take a few items in to get them taken in?

It isn't terribly difficult to dart a top or to put darts into the waistband of a pair of trousers. Have a google - darting is the technique people used for centuries...