What do you do before workouts?

Options
vanityy99
vanityy99 Posts: 2,583 Member
edited February 2019 in Fitness and Exercise
To get you motivated and pumped. Also “tricks” to give you more energy, get you going longer ( legal of course, and besides the normal a well balanced meal answer).

For example I like to take a shot of espresso. So what do you do to help you pro long your workouts?

Replies

• kami3006
    kami3006 Posts: 4,978 Member
    Options
    I usually eat lunch about 45 minutes before my workout. I also nibble a banana between sets. Occasionally, on low energy days, I take a caffeine pill. Most days though, food and some good music is enough to keep me pumped.
  • vanityy99
    Options
    kami3006 wrote: »
    I usually eat lunch about 45 minutes before my workout. I also nibble a banana between sets. Occasionally, on low energy days, I take a caffeine pill. Most days though, food and some good music is enough to keep me pumped.

What does the banana do for you between sets? Muscle cramps?
  • kami3006
    kami3006 Posts: 4,978 Member
    Options
    vanityy99 wrote: »

They're a good source of quick energy. Some people use candy.

Plus, I just feel hungry when I lift so I like the food on my stomach. That's, of course, highly individual.
  • an0393na
    an0393na Posts: 840 Member
    Options
    I workout at 5am... So before breakfast but my PT recommends even half a banana before we workout and I can tell the difference in my energy if I don't have it.
  • jasonpoihegatama
    jasonpoihegatama Posts: 496 Member
    Options
    I like to listen to a bit of low rider to get in the groove baby.
  • an0393na
    an0393na Posts: 840 Member
    Options
    And fast music with a good beat helps too
  • vanityy99
    Options
    vanityy99 wrote: »

They're a good source of quick energy. Some people use candy.

Plus, I just feel hungry when I lift so I like the food on my stomach. That's, of course, highly individual.
    an0393na wrote: »
    I workout at 5am... So before breakfast but my PT recommends even half a banana before we workout and I can tell the difference in my energy if I don't have it.

I need to try this banana thing.
  • sardelsa
    sardelsa Posts: 9,812 Member
    Options
    Espresso and candy for me. And glute activation warm-ups get me ready to go. Oh and good dance music.
  • vanityy99
    Options
    sardelsa wrote: »
    Espresso and candy for me. And glute activation warm-ups get me ready to go. Oh and good dance music.

90s eurodance music is my go to.😊
  • jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    Options
    I don't do anything special for energy or motivation. If I'm hungry I eat but I'd do that even if I wasn't exercising.
  • lalalacroix
    lalalacroix Posts: 834 Member
    Options
    I eat breakfast, pack my snacks, water and cold weather clothing. I grab my spikes or snowshoes and head into the mountains. But none of this gives me motivation because I am always super psyched to go hiking!
  • Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 24,854 Member
    Options
    Change into appropriate workout clothes.
    Running clothes for running.
    Cycling clothes for cycling.
    Etc.
  • LovelySavannah
    LovelySavannah Posts: 145 Member
    Options
    I change into my workout clothes (no backing out after changing clothes 😂)
    I eat a light meal, usually chicken and mushrooms or yogurt and a banana.
    Wait an hour after eating, then workout :)
    If I start to feel lazy and don't want to workout, I look at clothes/lingerie websites and look at my wishlists to motivate me.. I'm a shopaholic so it helps a lot :)
  • hazeleni
    hazeleni Posts: 87 Member
    Options
    I usuallt sit in bed contemplating my life choices and if I really need that workout
    Then I get up and jusr do it :-P
  • PennyP312
    PennyP312 Posts: 161 Member
    Options
    530 workouts for me. So I take a 200 mg caffeine pill as soon as I’m up around 5 and I’m wide awake by the time the gym opens ;)
    If I need something I’ll eat a half a banana too, but not always.
    And always have to have my music when working out!
  • Phirrgus
    Phirrgus Posts: 1,894 Member
    Options
    Coffee for me. My WOs are usually 4amish though. Then I'll get some music or a good talk going on the tablet, warm up a bit and get it done.

Sometimes I'll try to down 8oz or so water, but for some reason water (sans coffee) and I just don't get along in the morning.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,511 Member
    Options
    Caffeine bomb.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png
  • Anna022119
    Anna022119 Posts: 545 Member
    Options
    I drive 45 minutes around town (drop off teens), have a light breakfast while stuck in traffic (coffee, banana, breakfast bar), do a solid warm up once I arrive at the gym, lift heavy (ish), shower, have a protein bar and another coffee, start my day.
  • SCoil123
    SCoil123 Posts: 2,108 Member
    Options
    Nothing consistent or specific besides show up and make sure my water bottle is full