Anyone gluten-free and dairy-free?

Options
For health reasons, my doctor wants me to go gluten-free and dairy-free for 2 weeks to see how I feel (Except yogurt once a day because of the probiotics).

Does anyone else eat this way? Can you give me an idea of what you eat and some of your favorite meals? I think breakfast will be easy since I can have eggs, which I have most days anyway, but it's the lunch/dinner I am struggling with the most. Snacks I always eat fruit, so that's easy too.

Replies

• TerranandKaylynsmommy
    Options
    I am gluten and dairy free(mostly). Feel free to add me and check out my diary entries :)
  • corriepelc
    corriepelc Posts: 2,088 Member
    Options
    I have been gluten free for the past four years due a severe allergy. Dairy I don't have any issues with, however, I do know that sometimes a gluten allergy can lead to other food allergies, including dairy.

The important thing with going gluten free is knowing all the sneaky places gluten can be found. Things like soy sauce, oats (unless they actually say GF on the package), sauces/gravies, spice blends -- there's a lot of places where gluten can be hiding that you don't realize.

So if you truly want to cut all gluten out for the next two weeks, stick to clean whole foods -- meats, fruits and veggies, eggs -- and very minimal processed foods, unless they specify they are certified GF.

If you have any specific questions feel free to PM me!
  • imaginemary
    imaginemary Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    I am gluten and dairy free since figuring out those were causing IBS. I suggest not using the gluten free forms of bread or the dairy free cheese because of calories. Unprocessed foods for a couple of weeks will probably make a nice change anyway. I lost quite a bit - perhaps 20 lbs - when I first changed to gf / df— it’s the processed substitutes that are a big problem for my weight goals now.
  • whatalazyidiot
    whatalazyidiot Posts: 343 Member
    Options
    Thanks! I am starting next week since i wanted to get through all the groceries I had literally JUST bought before going to the doctor. I agree, I don't really want to just use substitute products. Even if I only end up doing the 2 weeks, my stomach would probably like a little less processed food anyway.
  • tiffaniedemayo
    tiffaniedemayo Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    I wish you the best with your gluten free 2 weeks. I found it very helpful with my IBS-C, and arthritis. I never in a million year would have guessed gluten had inflammatory properties, but when I'm gluten free, I am also pain free!
    I found Dr. David Purlmutter's book, Grain Brain to be very helpful in understanding what gluten can do to some of us, and it has many helpful resources. I am not 100% gluten free now, but I have noticed(when looking back at my food intake), that I will go days without gluten, and feel fine. Add gluten, and the next day, I have issues.
  • kimothyschma
    kimothyschma Posts: 209 Member
    Options
    I eat low gluten and low dairy due to IBS and lactose intolerance. An easy way to find meals online I’ve found is to search for paleo recipes and then add a side of rice or potatoes (I do not eat low carb). I eat eggs or oatmeal for breakfast, and drink cashew milk occasionally in my hot chocolate or cereal. Dinner is usually meat+starch+veg. I have found it’s simpler and more satisfying to eat naturally gluten/dairy free foods than to find replacements. Like sorbet rather than coconut milk ice cream (tastes weird to me idk). Or a tomato based sauce instead of a cream sauce you try to sub coconut milk in and it turns out bad. The two exceptions are Barilla gluten free spaghetti and La Brea or Udi’s gluten free bread. I don’t buy many of these products because they are expensive. Rice cakes are a great alternative, and I eat a ton of peanut butter. Add me if you want, but I am not allergic or celiac so you will see some gluten foods or cheese in my diary occasionally. :)
  • TracyB627
    TracyB627 Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    I am gluten, dairy, soy, and corn free.... some seafood with more allergies to raw fruits, veggies, and tree nuts, although I seem to do okay with coconut. I’m allergic to latex which includes another list of foods to avoid because the body confuses similar proteins. Allergic to artificial sweeteners. I call it a caveman diet, and although I’m very restricted, there is plenty to eat. I eat the healthiest in my family! PM me if you’d like to talk diet and what we can eat. Just a quick note, you’re not dairy free if you’re eating yogurt, it’s still dairy. You can take probiotics for a healthy gut and be dairy free. I eat goat’s and sheep’s cheese for cheese.
  • TracyB627
    Options
    Also, I had horrible withdrawal symptoms from cutting gluten and dairy from my diet cold turkey. Not sure what your issues are, but let your doctor know if you get worse. There are some interesting articles about that if you do have issues.
  • TracyB627
    Options
    I’m sorry, I shouldn’t have said to PM me, this is a forum for this topic. I’m so used to FB and PM’s. Please let me know if I can be of any help. Good luck! 😊
  • Fuzzipeg
    Fuzzipeg Posts: 2,298 Member
    Options
    Problems with foods are really horrid. I have a couple of thoughts, your doctor said gluten and diary free for two weeks, it can take three to six months to feel benefits of no gluten for some its way longer. The body often needs time to heal, then any slip can take a very long time to repair. Dairy free, I was easier within 48 hours though those with a proper allergy can take longer, in the region of 3 months, we are all different.

Its absolute madness for you still to have a yoghurt when dairy free, I think the lactose is used up in the process of making yoghurt though you would still be having the casein, the protein in dairy. It is the most frequent problem with dairy out numbers those with lactose intolerance by far. Casein comes in 4 forms, bovine dairy is type 1 dominant, goat and sheep is type 2 sominant, type 3 and 4 are present in all milk but at a much lesser level. Type 2 is closest to human milk. The lady who uses sheep and goat cheese might be benefiting from the t2 casein. Pre biotics come in other forms, please visit a health food sore or look on line for products you should be able to find on the high street. It is now possible to have A2 milk which is designated by testing the cattle. Some heards lived in isolation in historic times and became type 2 dominant, like Guernsey cattle, though subsequent interbreeding muddied the water necessitating testing.

To the lady who sufferes has many problems with fruits and veg. Many doctors do not know of Salicylate Intolerance, except in the form of overdose of aspirn. Its a complicated issue. To generalise salicyalte is prodiced by plants to protect themselves from moulds and mildews, our systems should eliminate it but some of us acquire difficulties. There is/was an e-book by Sharla Race, Food can Make you ill. It covers salicylate, oxalate and other food intolerances. There is work by an Australian Hospital, the Royal Prince Alfred or was it Albert, Anne Swane Etal produced the initial work. The Food intolerance Network, restrictions did not touch my symptoms. There is also histamine intolerance, it can be discribed as an issue of decaying food only many who eat meats can only tolerate fresh rather than hung, it is also present in some fruits and veg.

My issues stemmed from antibiotic use which contributed to yeast overgrowth and subclinical thyroid issues, (Hashimoto's) Its the most common form is only diagnosed by testing for antibodies which doctors don't tend to do. It also presents with symptoms and normal thyroid numbers which are not seen as problematic so no more testing.

I did have an issue because the local endocrinologist disagreed with the Regional Professor in Immunology that salicylate sensitivity/intolerance is a thing so I was prevented from working with this eminent man and was forced down the alternative root. I turned to a BANT Registered Nutritionist, only available in the UK but I'm sure there will be other registrations who could help others outside Britain.

Once i found digestive microbes which do not increase histamine levels and addressed the loss caused by antibiotics, cut out sugar, did my dairy free, improved my liver function chemical elimination pathway and achieved alternative thyroid treatment my dietary issues have reduced. Along the way I discovered some digestive enzymes formulated to digest salicylate because my foods were far too few, I use a brand which provides one all inclusive product which covers all possible enzymes, primarily dairy and gluten. I now have my life back.

I hope I have give some areas for personal research. Not all doctors know enough to advise. Do what is right for yourself, question and research for yourself.
  • mnfva6508
    mnfva6508 Posts: 2 Member
    edited February 2019
    Options
    I am gluten free, dairy free, and soy free (I will have soy about once a month or less).

If you want yogurt and still want to be dairy free they make great almond and coconut milk versions (assuming you have no problems with tree nuts- also bonus for the milks they tend to be 30-60 cal for a whole cup). These have probiotics just like regular yogurt but without the dairy. My favorite brand so far is kitehill almond milk yogurt which I get from target. If you do try these they settle a little more in the container than regular yougurt but if you stir it well it will again become the consistency you’re used to in reg yogurt.

While I love the almond milk my sister is allergic to treenuts (although she can have dairy) so not everything I eat has almonds.

I agree with the poster above that suggested avoiding the gluten free breads and products they do tend to be higher in calories and additives then what they’re being substituted for. I do eat them though just for ease more frequently than I should. But if you are struggling with your health those products have some fillers that can irritate some people’s stomachs.

Feel free to add me if you’d like to see my diary for suggestions and pm if you’d like recipes for anything on there.

For specific meals I’m a big fan of pasta made with rice pasta (my sister likes the corn based ones)- some pasta sauces do have dairy in them so you have to be cautious but I use Prego traditional which doesn’t). Also barbecue chicken (cooked with baby rays) with rice. Or for work on days when i don’t have leftovers frozen chicken tenders with a bag of frozen steam fresh veggies I can heat at work (I like the riced cauliflower and broccoli). Tacos are also great since you can use corn tortillas or many of the hard shells are gluten free now (and labeled that way); just either make your own seasoning or read the labels as some seasonings may contain gluten or dairy. McCormick has a gluten free seasoning. I also make meatloaf and instead of regular bread crumbs use either glutino crackers or potato chips. Homemade Meatballs can also be made this way.
  • KarlaKotzer
    KarlaKotzer Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    I have celiac disease and lupus. After a year of being gluten free I figured out that I couldn’t have dairy anymore, and then a few months later I figured out that I couldn’t have corn, rice, and oats either. So I’ve been on Paleo since then, around August. I pretty much eat a lot of fruit, steamed veggies, meats, eggs, and nuts. I’ve tried making my own bread, which honestly wasn’t bad when it was just gluten free, but baking seems to be giving me a lot more trouble since I’ve switched to Paleo. I didn’t realize until after I cut out all the grains how prevalent corn syrup and cornstarch are in things that you wouldn’t think would have it.
  • whatalazyidiot
    Options
    Lots of great ideas, thanks everyone!

It's mostly for my skin (rosacea) as we try to figure out all my triggers. Unfortunately, sweat is one of them, but not much I can do to stop sweating during workouts. The dermatologist next wants to check the most common foods that tend to cause flare-ups, which are gluten and dairy. I also have some digestive issues, so my doctor thought it just made sense to go a couple weeks without them to see if either my skin or my digestion improves, then add things back in to see if I have reactions to them.

To those of you who suggested Paleo recipes, then adding in the carb, thank you! That's a great idea. I didn't even think about that, forgetting they can't have dairy or gluten.
  • wearefab
    wearefab Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    Instead of pasta, you can get a spiralliser and use zucchini or carrots in it to make veg pasta. Brown rice is gluten free, as are sweet potatoes. Quinoa is GF. A lot of GF peeps have probs with oats so i wouldnt go there. I use an organic brown rice GF, dairy free bread by Vernedi Six Seed (its only good toasted lol). As for dairy, unsweetened almond milk works for me, plain coconut yoghurt. Check the labels on things like baked beans, ready made burgers (whether vege or meat) - heaps of stuff have gluten or dairy added. For dressings I just use olive oil, balsamic, garlic, avacado, salt, pepper - blended in any combo you fancy. Many store bought humus has GF written on the label but you have to check for added cheese product.
    Obviously nuts, seeds, beans, lentils are GF.
    People often think of digestive issues, but these days, gluten gives me more of a brain/cognition/foggy problem.
    I think im lucky that recently ive been able to have milk and heaps of it - problem is I only like whole milk and ive gained weight hence on MFP. Apparently body builders use whole milk for a gain strategy!
  • shaumom
    shaumom Posts: 1,003 Member
    Options
    Sooooo...some information that might help avoid potential problems, first.

If you can, get a doctor to test you for celiac disease before you do this diet. Seriously, I would really recommend looking into this.

For the following reasons:
    1. Many celiacs don't have a lot of symptoms; fatigue can be the only one, or mild gut or digestive issues.

2. People with rosacea are twice as likely to have celiac disease as the average population.

3. The test for celiac disease requires you to be eating gluten. It requires you to be eating about 1-2 pieces of bread worth of gluten, pretty much daily, for 4-8 weeks straight. This is because the test is, well, still not the greatest and it only tests for accumulated biomarkers of a reaction TO gluten. No gluten=no reaction=no markers= a useless test. And the amount that is viewed as 'abnormal' and a positive result is one that builds up over time, rather than occurring after one ingestion of gluten, so you have to cause your body to react, daily, for weeks, before the test can even tell what is going on.

4. When a celiac reacts, it causes damage to the body, gut especially - one ingestion of gluten can take up to 2 weeks to heal up after. A typical adult needs 6 months to 2 years to heal up after being diagnosed. So if a person goes OFF of gluten and starts to heal, they need to then damage themselves badly enough to show up on the tests, if they decide to get tested for celiac disease later.

5. Also, many celiacs have a MUCH worse reaction TO gluten if they've gone off it for a while and try to eat it again to do a celiac test. It can range from slightly worse gut problems to intestinal bleeding to the immune system basically tanking. There is no way to tell ahead of time if one's body would not feel too bad reintroducing gluten, or if there would be a really bad reaction - it does not seem related to the severity of the reaction before going off of gluten. Experts actually haven't come up with a good explanation for why this change even happens, but celiacs can tell you that it quite frequently does.

6. The celiac level of a gluten free diet is more strict than the one for gluten intolerant folks. And damage done to celiacs can be done without outward symptoms to show it's happening. So knowing you have or don't have celiac disease makes a big difference in figuring out how strict a diet you might need to follow.

So, for all those reasons, most experts (of which there are not many) recommend that anyone with higher risks for celiac disease, especially plus symptoms, do NOT go gluten free before you at least take the blood test for celiac disease. It can save you a world of hurt later, if you realize gluten IS causing issues, and you need to be tested, you know?
  • whatalazyidiot
    Options
    shaumom wrote: »
    Sooooo...some information that might help avoid potential problems, first.

If you can, get a doctor to test you for celiac disease before you do this diet. Seriously, I would really recommend looking into this.

For the following reasons:
    1. Many celiacs don't have a lot of symptoms; fatigue can be the only one, or mild gut or digestive issues.

2. People with rosacea are twice as likely to have celiac disease as the average population.

3. The test for celiac disease requires you to be eating gluten. It requires you to be eating about 1-2 pieces of bread worth of gluten, pretty much daily, for 4-8 weeks straight. This is because the test is, well, still not the greatest and it only tests for accumulated biomarkers of a reaction TO gluten. No gluten=no reaction=no markers= a useless test. And the amount that is viewed as 'abnormal' and a positive result is one that builds up over time, rather than occurring after one ingestion of gluten, so you have to cause your body to react, daily, for weeks, before the test can even tell what is going on.

4. When a celiac reacts, it causes damage to the body, gut especially - one ingestion of gluten can take up to 2 weeks to heal up after. A typical adult needs 6 months to 2 years to heal up after being diagnosed. So if a person goes OFF of gluten and starts to heal, they need to then damage themselves badly enough to show up on the tests, if they decide to get tested for celiac disease later.

5. Also, many celiacs have a MUCH worse reaction TO gluten if they've gone off it for a while and try to eat it again to do a celiac test. It can range from slightly worse gut problems to intestinal bleeding to the immune system basically tanking. There is no way to tell ahead of time if one's body would not feel too bad reintroducing gluten, or if there would be a really bad reaction - it does not seem related to the severity of the reaction before going off of gluten. Experts actually haven't come up with a good explanation for why this change even happens, but celiacs can tell you that it quite frequently does.

6. The celiac level of a gluten free diet is more strict than the one for gluten intolerant folks. And damage done to celiacs can be done without outward symptoms to show it's happening. So knowing you have or don't have celiac disease makes a big difference in figuring out how strict a diet you might need to follow.

So, for all those reasons, most experts (of which there are not many) recommend that anyone with higher risks for celiac disease, especially plus symptoms, do NOT go gluten free before you at least take the blood test for celiac disease. It can save you a world of hurt later, if you realize gluten IS causing issues, and you need to be tested, you know?

Thanks for taking the time to write all that out! I have been tested for Celiac, and it was negative. Since you can't take the test unless you're eating gluten, she wanted to test me first before cutting it out. So that's the good news.

This is basically the first step in figuring out my (assumed) food sensitivities. And if it turns out it has nothing to do with what i eat, then yay! But at least I'll know either way.
  • shaumom
    shaumom Posts: 1,003 Member
    edited February 2019
    Options
    re: gluten and dairy free - I'd second the paleo diet for a good source of recipes.

Also, I would check out asian recipes, especially ones for bento boxes. They often include soy sauce, but GF soy sauce is one of the few 'substitutions' that I highly recommend. Mostly because it's not, actually - GF soy sauce is basically 'fancy 'soy sauce, made the old fashioned way before wheat was used as a filler. It's actually more flavorful than regular soy sauce used nowadays.

But with bento boxes - the carbs are typically rice, the recipes are almost always dairy free and frequently GF if you use GF soy sauce. Lots of veg and protein. And look fairly pretty, too, honestly.

Lots of Thai food with coconut milk will have that creaminess that you might miss when you go dairy free, too.

You mentioned you don't want to do substitutions - I would second that one, based on my and my families experience (I have three generations of celiacs in the family now). IMHO, making GF foods to try and get them to look, feel, and taste like gluten foods - when we don't have the same ingredients - is like trying to use adobe to try and recreate the look and feel of igloos in the desert because we don't have blocks of ice. Sure, maybe with some real work, we can come up with something close. But it is never the same, doesn't have the same ingredients, and in the end, it's kind of a waste because there are other recipes (or houses) that are much better suited for the ingredients that we have to use now, you know?

That said, I have found the best, and tastiest, food, looking for recipes that were not, hmmm, created TO fit the diet, but are more recipes that have been around for generations that NEVER used gluten or dairy. This as opposed to modern created ones, like paleo ones. These are still good, but...new. Not tested for decades, most of the time, you know?

So I tend to look at a lot of Asian recipes - I've had some good luck with food from India, China, Japan, Thailand, Vietnam. Also Polynesian Islands, and some African cookbooks have had some great stuff, too. Some South American foods are quite nice, but dairy is more of an issue to avoid in some of those, as well as wheat. But can find some good traditional South American quinoa recipes in the depths of the internet, if you hunt around.

re: dairy free - if you are having yogurt, you may not notice a lot of different in how you are impacted. Your body will usually still react to dairy if you have some, even if it's less, unless it is some very mild intolerance. My son had dairy issues and we really didn't notice a difference until we got rid of ALL the dairy.

However, many of the dairy free yogurts now have live cultures, too, that might work for you for probiotics while still letting you avoid dairy. I know for certain some of the coconut yogurts do.

Also, if lactose was the concern - yogurt, here in the USA, anyway, still has a lot of lactose, typically. Imported yogurt, you can sometimes find with very low lactose. Because yogurt made the traditional way, the lactose is consumed during fermentation. In the USA, companies don't typically wait that long, so they ferment a little, and then add in thickeners and souring agents to 'fake' the rest of it. And a common thickening agent is actually a variety of different powders made from milk proteins, so American yogurt can actually have MORE lactose after they are finished than the they did going into the process. :-/

re: timing - it can take a long time for you to notice any difference. Sometimes, it IS fast, but many people need to take 1-2 months, at least, before their body starts to feel better, if it's from food issues.
  • Fuzzipeg
    Fuzzipeg Posts: 2,298 Member
    Options
    shaumon is right, looking into proper testing is best. I'm not up on gluten reactions because they were not affecting me. I know from the experience of a granddaughter one has to be eating gluten in order to show your reactivity or not to the substance. Her reaction was to soy. That does not sound too bad but as it is glibly put into all manor of prepared foods and she was a teenager, doing like her mates at the time she was rather uncomfortable. The more I think about all this, I know you should try to find a more switched on medic. The very last thing you want to do is achieve some relief of your symptom only to have to bring them back at a later date.

Our international society needs more experts in the increasing issues of food and environmental sensitivities, as well as this the worldwide medical profession should be required to keep up to date with the growing body of science so they can direct us into the best part of the system for us to achieve good health. General medicine tends to be happy to put plasters over many symptoms of ill health (big pharma pills which do not always enable the body to right its inappropriate reactions) rather than do as those of a Functional persuasion do, consider why this symptom is happening, then addressing the cause/deficit to achieve better natural functioning. I was fortunate to find Nutritionist with functional training who through blood and urine testing was able to turn my life round where General UK Medicine had been systematically uninterested in the individual and therefore incapable because for those over here with certain endocrine issues there is a one size fits all approach, only one size never fits everyone. I want better for everyone who is suffering.

I doubt if any of you have heard of the site, "Eat Meat Drink Water". This site supports only eating meat saying all the vitamins and minerals are there in the diet provided by the protein in the meat and fats. There are a surprising number of people who find relief this way. Its especially good for those with rarer reactions to natural chemicals within fruits and veg.

All the very best, find a specialist and be tested for all possible causes, its expensive but makes real sense.
  • firlena227
    firlena227 Posts: 86 Member
    Options
    Have to agree with the above poster, if you're cutting out dairy it does seem a bit self defeating to still eat a probiotic yoghurt, and (according to my GP anyway) the amount of probiotics they contain isnt really enough to make a noticeable difference. You could buy probiotic capsules which contain a larger dose so you can still get the benefit of the probiotic but cut out the dairy.
  • whatalazyidiot
    Options
    firlena227 wrote: »
    Have to agree with the above poster, if you're cutting out dairy it does seem a bit self defeating to still eat a probiotic yoghurt, and (according to my GP anyway) the amount of probiotics they contain isnt really enough to make a noticeable difference. You could buy probiotic capsules which contain a larger dose so you can still get the benefit of the probiotic but cut out the dairy.

Yeah, I think I have decided to just take a probiotic instead of the yogurt. At least for a couple weeks to see how i feel.