Training regime

Options
Is it true when people say you have to change your training every once and while? I spoke to a few personal trainers who say you don't have to at all as long as you are progressing in your training i.e progressive overload, then there's no need to because your improving in those exercises. If you are stalling In your training or get bored to change you're training. Just wondered what others thought? I'm progressing pretty well with my compound lifts deadlift, squat, db bench press, ohp and bent over rows and don't want to really change them. I struggle more with increasing lateral raises and isolation exercises so maybe change these?

Replies

• jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    Options
    I agree with the trainers you've talked to. For general fitness purposes, if you're progressing and you like your program, stick with it. If you aren't progressing even after looking at things other than programming that could be causing problems (e.g., sleep, food, etc.) then something in the program should be changed (could be volume, could be specific exercises, could be the entire program, could be something else.) If you just genuinely don't like the program, then change it. Just be sure you're actually giving programs a good try before switching.
  • Samm471
    Samm471 Posts: 432 Member
    Options
    jemhh wrote: »
    I agree with the trainers you've talked to. For general fitness purposes, if you're progressing and you like your program, stick with it. If you aren't progressing even after looking at things other than programming that could be causing problems (e.g., sleep, food, etc.) then something in the program should be changed (could be volume, could be specific exercises, could be the entire program, could be something else.) If you just genuinely don't like the program, then change it. Just be sure you're actually giving programs a good try before switching.

I really do enjoy my programme it's working well and I'm progressing well so will stick with it :)