Sugar versus Fiber

Options
Joey_jo_jo
Joey_jo_jo Posts: 9 Member
edited February 2019 in Food and Nutrition
So I’m always trying to hit 25g fiber but I can’t seem to do it without fruit which always puts me over recommended sugar. I don’t use any processed sugar and the sugar is almost always from whole foods. Any recommendations from anyone on this?

Also if I try to eat more protein to gain muscle like the 1.1 per pound of weight I definitely don’t get 25g fiber and it causes me issues.

Anyone else have this issue?

I’m 5ft4 55kg ans trying to gain muscle and lose fat (aren’t we all) 😃

Replies

• zeejane03
    zeejane03 Posts: 993 Member
    edited February 2019
    Options
    The nutrition guidelines, from the WHO etc, are for added sugar and do not include those from fruit :)

Actually, the new recommendations coming out is for more than 25g of fiber a day
    https://www.thelancet.com/journals/lancet/article/PIIS0140-6736(18)31809-9/fulltext
    (copy and paste the link into a new window and it will work)

eta: you can change your food logging settings to swap out the sugar column for something else, many users change it to tracking fiber.
  • Joey_jo_jo
    Options
    Thanks guys.

• Joey_jo_jo
    Options
    kimny72 wrote: »
    Going a little over on sugar is no big deal. But if you'd like another way to get more fiber, I usually find it much easier to hit my fiber goal if I have a serving of legumes - beans, peas, or lentils.

Unfortunately I can’t tolerate legumes

• Cahgetsfit
    Cahgetsfit Posts: 1,912 Member
    Options
    I don't even look at the sugar tab on my diary because I go over every single day due to fruits. I easily hit my fiber (and go over) just by having one or two serves of fruit and some veg/salad,and oats or wholegrain bread every day.

I wouldn't worry about the sugar reading - I think it's more aimed at refined *kitten* sugar, and also catering to the 'OMG sugar is the DEVIL" mentality that is ripe.

The benefits of and micronutrients in fruit way surpass the evilness of sugar.
  • Joey_jo_jo
    Options
    Cahgetsfit wrote: »
    I don't even look at the sugar tab on my diary because I go over every single day due to fruits. I easily hit my fiber (and go over) just by having one or two serves of fruit and some veg/salad,and oats or wholegrain bread every day.

I wouldn't worry about the sugar reading - I think it's more aimed at refined *kitten* sugar, and also catering to the 'OMG sugar is the DEVIL" mentality that is ripe.

The benefits of and micronutrients in fruit way surpass the evilness of sugar.

I believe so too

• kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,996 Member
    Options
    Joey_jo_jo wrote: »
    kimny72 wrote: »
    Going a little over on sugar is no big deal. But if you'd like another way to get more fiber, I usually find it much easier to hit my fiber goal if I have a serving of legumes - beans, peas, or lentils.

Unfortunately I can’t tolerate legumes

Ignore if none of the following is relevant to you :)

Some people have a problem with canned beans, but not dried beans that they have cooked from scratch, making sure to rinse well between steps.

Others benefit from introducing legumes into their diet slowly.

Furthermore, people may have a hard time tolerating (for example) lentils, but not black beans, or vs versa.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,996 Member
    Options
    Anyone interested in changing your setting to increase your fiber goal, you can do it here: https://www.myfitnesspal.com/account/my_goals

To swap out fiber for something else (I swapped out Sugar and Sodium for Fiber and Iron) do it here: https://www.myfitnesspal.com/account/diary_settings
  • lemurcat2
    lemurcat2 Posts: 7,885 Member
    Options
    Over in the DASH thread we are aiming for 50 g.