Trying to lean out

Options
Need tips or advice to clean up my eating

Replies

• MichelleSilverleaf
    MichelleSilverleaf Posts: 2,028 Member
    Options
    Without knowing how you're eating now, it's hard to give you any specific advice. What are your concerns over how you're eating now?
  • JBanx256
    JBanx256 Posts: 1,477 Member
    Options
    Without knowing how you're eating now, it's hard to give you any specific advice. What are your concerns over how you're eating now?

Yup. Hard to make decent recommendations without any clue as to the starting point...
  • Chris341311
    Chris341311 Posts: 22 Member
    Options

I eat a lot of beef and rice n gravy and grilled food I am 270 6 foot been in the gym about 4 years good muscle mass just can lean out body fat on stomach and love handles.
  • MichelleSilverleaf
    MichelleSilverleaf Posts: 2,028 Member
    Options

I eat a lot of beef and rice n gravy and grilled food I am 270 6 foot been in the gym about 4 years good muscle mass just can lean out body fat on stomach and love handles.

Ok well there's nothing wrong with that. A little more variety of foods might be the only advice I'd give. If you're at a healthy weight for your height you could look into recomp, otherwise calorie deficit and patience.
  • apullum
    apullum Posts: 4,838 Member
    Options
    If you want to lose weight, you need to consistently be in a calorie deficit. You can ensure you're in a deficit by putting your stats into MFP and using a food scale to make sure you're eating that number of calories. It doesn't matter for weight loss what specific foods you eat, though for your health and fitness you will want to get enough protein and fat. To preserve muscle mass while losing weight, you can strength train.

Keep in mind that you can't spot reduce fat. Weight loss will not guarantee that you'll lose fat around your midsection.

If you want to stay at the same weight, but reduce fat and build muscle, you should look into recomp.
  • Chris341311
    Chris341311 Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    What is recomp?
  • Cahgetsfit
    Cahgetsfit Posts: 1,912 Member
    Options
    Just go into a caloric deficit and hey presto. You can still eat grilled food. I eat rice every single day. and beef. Not a fan of gravy, but i'm sure if you log it accurately you can still enjoy it without going over.

The sad part of leaning out is that unfortunately, you have to eat less.

Go to tdeecalculator.net, work out your stats and the deficit you need to be on (it tells you everything), plug it into MFP. Don't eat back exercise calories because Tdeecalculator.net is not the same as the MFP calculations that factor exercise calories in.

Stick to what the calculator tells you. Have ONE "free" meal per week for mental health purposes. And just patiently watch the weight fluctuate all over the place but eventually come down. Use a tracking app such as Happy Scales to see the trend instead of freaking out if the scale goes the wrong way.