Need help with food choices!

Options
Ok, so I am no stranger when it comes to loosing weight I have done it in the past. But this time around I feel like I am failing and just making poor food choices. Not sure if its just cause I have a 16month old now or what, but I am having a hard time staying with in my calorie goal and a hard time with snacking. Now I also think I am wrong in thinking as long as I keep it in my calorie goal I can eat whatever. Basically I am looking for meal and snack ideas that are yummy and will help me stay with in 1200 calories a day. But this maybe hard considering I HATE fish!! Love pasta and bread. And prefer to stay away from the wheat pasta and bread. So help me if you can with ideas for meals and snacks to help me eat better. Thanks!!

:flowerforyou:

Replies

• melsinct
    melsinct Posts: 3,512 Member
    Options
    I had trouble staying at 1200 calories a day- it was too little fuel for my body. I had MFP set aggressively at losing 2 pounds/week, which I don't recommend. So my first question is: what is your weight loss goal set at? It should be at 1 pound/week which will likely give you more calories than 1200 (unless you are small). Also, you can eat more than 1200 if you exercise, as logging exercise "earns" you extra calories.

As for what to eat, feel free to look through my diary, it is public.
  • vdubmomma
    Options
    Yeah, I think I put mine at 2lbs a week too! I am just sick of my weight and was looking to get rid of it fast. Right now though I would like to try and loose maybe 15lbs if possible or more by October 14th. So I am trying to really focus on things but its hard!! I will take a look at your diary though to get ideas! :wink:
  • cnichols2056
    cnichols2056 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    For snacking, try fruits and vegetables. If you do want to go with something more "filling" you could try low-fat or no-fat chips or crackers with something like hummus or light cream cheese. My favorite snack is cream cheese with a little Raspberry Chipotle Marinade and crackers or pita chips. It is filling, tastes delicious but is a little high in calorie count (cream cheese the the main calorie culprit in this snack). Also chicken and turkey are supposed to be better for you than steak or pork. I have used ground turkey as a ground beef subsititute. You can make meatloaf, hamburgers, anything you used ground beef in with ground turkey/chicken. If you have enough money (I am on a VERY tight budget so this is out for me), you could even use lamb or bison instead of beef. Most stores have a very small selection of these but it is there.

I hope this helps. :)
  • pa_jorg
    pa_jorg Posts: 4,404 Member
    Options
    You might want to reset your goals. At minimum, you should be Netting 1200, not eating 1200. Good luck.
  • Pangui
    Pangui Posts: 373 Member
    Options
    I found that I can stay very full and satisfied on 1200 calories if I limit myself only to low fat nutrient-dense foods. That means fruits, vegetables, whole grains, and legumes. You can get plenty of micro nutrients and all the protein you need. Your body doesn't need much fat either, especially if you are filling up on healthy carbs (not the processed stuff). I thought I couldn't give up the cheese and dairy, but once I did, everything got better, even my control and motivation.

If you think my suggestions are too extreme, just try to focus on "nutrient-dense" foods. These are the natural foods that will give your body the nutrients, energy and healing tools it needs. Don't waste your time on empty calories or even low-cal processed stuff. Low cal doesn't mean healthy. Your body needs nutrients.

Best wishes.
  • sneezles
    sneezles Posts: 165 Member
    Options
    A great snack food is almonds. I buy the large bag at Sam's and roast them. Each afternoon I eat 2 ounces. Very satisfying and a good source of protein and good-for-you fat.

Spaghetti squash is a great sub for pasta. La Tortilla Factory's low carb tortillas sub well for bread.
  • jess_austin
    Options
    I actually found that i saved a bucket load of calories by switching to Quorn meat some of the time (veggie meat). For example when it comes to Quorn mince vs. lean beef mince you save 500 calories just by choosing the vegetarian option!! It doesn't even mean you have to give up meat entirely but it means on days were you have already had a lot of calories you can still have a full dinner meal!

Good luck with the weight loss!!