Am I losing too fast? Am I safe?

Options
I have been doing a 1260 calories a day for a month and I have lost 10 pounds (currently 140 pounds). I am trying to lose weight for an event I will be attending, however I heard losing weight too quickly can damage your metabolism in the future. I will switch back to a 1400-1500 calories to start losing more slowly after the event is over and hopefully when I reach my goal weight I will eat 2000 calories. But my main question is what I am doing safe and will it effect me in the future??

Replies

• kabrina30
    kabrina30 Posts: 94 Member
    Options
    4-8 pounds a month is about right. If you just started a lot of that 10 pound loss this month is water weight, not fat. It'll even out soon and your losses will slow down. Especially if you're already close to your normal BMI range, which at 140 pounds I'd assume you are unless you're pretty short.

I'd be very surprised if you continue to consistently lose 10 pounds a month. But even if you do, no, it won't hurt your metabolism in the way you're implying.
  • aromatherapy713
    aromatherapy713 Posts: 5 Member
    edited February 2019
    Options
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,716 Member
    Options
    It won't hurt your "metabolism". It may hurt your health, strength, energy level or appearance, if that rate continues. Half a pound to a pound a week would be a conservative target, at 140 pounds.

I lost too fast, about 8 pounds in a month, at around that weight. I felt great, until I didn't. Despite correcting quickly, it took several weeks to recover my normal strength and energy. I can't recommend it to others.