Anyone gluten-free and dairy-free?

Options
2»

Replies

• Strudders67
    Strudders67 Posts: 980 Member
    Options
    If you want some variation, I sometimes have soya yoghurt with blueberries, nuts and seeds for breakfast.

My typical lunch during the week is a huge salad (without any dressing, although I sometimes add a squeeze of lemon or lime), with some chicken, turkey, ham, tuna, mackerel or salmon. I make a big bowl of the salad part that'll do for two or three days and just divide it in to smaller containers to take to work - I then add the protein to the smaller boxes to vary things up. At weekends I often have an omelette with salad. I also make my own chicken and vegetable soup - roast chicken carcass, water, lots of chopped veg and some seasoning.

I regularly do huge stirfries for dinner - lots of veg with ginger or chopped chilli for added taste, sometimes with chicken mixed through and sometimes with a salmon fillet on top. I usually have so much veg that I don't bother with rice but that's personal choice. I make my own chilli and bolognese; you could have either on rice or baked potatoes or you could spiralise veg in place of spaghetti. I also make a lot of curries, from scratch, which I have with rice. On the plainer side, pork chop or steak with onion, mushroom, asparagus and a small amount of potatoes goes down well in this house.

I can eat gluten but I avoid bread and rarely use sauces (unless I've made my own) as I'm intolerant to yeast (which is in so much stuff) as well as dairy. As mine is a long term issue, I do sometimes buy substitute ingredients, but for two weeks I wouldn't bother.

Good Luck.
  • lemurcat2
    lemurcat2 Posts: 7,885 Member
    edited February 2019
    Options
    I did paleo for a while and I quit, mostly because I didn't think there was really a good reason for it (I seem to have a positive response to dairy and have never had any issues, think legumes are a good thing to include in my diet, and don't really care about grains so never overeat them). It was an interesting experiment.

What I found it that it was pretty easy to cut out grains (especially if only gluten-containing grains) and dairy. I mostly eat dairy if I specifically choose a dairy food (yogurt, cottage cheese, cheese), but can easily not do that. My main starches are not gluten-based, but even if they were there are so many others -- rice, potatoes, sweet potatoes, beans and lentils, even oats if you carefully source them, quinoa, wild rice.

My main meals when doing paleo were kind of similar to now: eggs and veg and fruit at breakfast, salad with protein at lunch (nuts or olives vs. cheese for added flavor), and then meat, veg, non gluten starch for dinner.

I admit that I've just never been a big grain person (I hated most bread unless homemade or bakery bread as a kid and also cereal), I do like pasta but more for the sauces, I rarely eat bread now since it seems a waste of calories to me, so I often think I have a weird view of this. (I do adore dairy, however.)
  • j010219
    j010219 Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    I'm gluten free and dairy free for my health - I also eat minimal meat (when I'm a guest at someone's house and that's what they cooked).

Here are typical meals:
    Breakfasts:
    Oats
    Smoothie bowl
    Protein pancakes

Lunch:
    Typically dinner leftovers...
    Lentil Soup
    Big salad bowl

Dinner:
    All types of fun bowls - sushi bowl, burrito bowl, lebanese bowl (you put a grain in your plate, then add veggies that go with the theme, a protein, and sauce)
    homemade falafels with potatoes
    Chili

Possibilities are endless really as most of your regular recipes are adaptable if you find the right products.
  • CellywithBellie
    CellywithBellie Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    I'm dairy free. I've found that Aldi has been carrying a lot more vegan "cheese" products, and has been making my life easier!