I guess this is a NSV

Options
Today after about two kilometers into my run I met a former teacher, now good friend. We stopped to talk for a bit, and after a while he asked me how long I was running today. I answered with "oh, I'm just doing a short run today" and he asked how long a short run was - "3.5 kilometers I said" and he laughed and said "that's not that short". This got me thinking - six months ago I would consider any activity with the word "run" in it a long one, but now as I run 10 kilometers 3 times a week, I think about this as my short run.

A nice NSV :)

/k

Replies

• JennysMan
    Options
    That is absolutely a NSV! It's amazing how our perspectives change once we start looking at healthier ways to live!
  • melbaby925
    melbaby925 Posts: 613
    Options
    Congratulations!

Yes - this is a great NSV for you!

It's amazing how fast we forget where we came from. I was just telling someone I no longer bother to post my shorter walk/runs anymore where anyone can see them. I only post the challenging stuff - which is now just about a 10k! It's crazy when you consider in January I couldn't walk around the block without wanting to pass out. So celebrate - you've done an awesome job!
  • agleckle
    agleckle Posts: 235 Member
    Options
    Good for you! This is totally an NSV... I actually realized the same thing after I started training for my 1/2 marathons, that a short run for me is now around 4-5 miles rather 1 or 2 like it used to be!
  • Leigh_D
    Leigh_D Posts: 356 Member
    Options
    Most definitely! Congrats!
  • TenLaws
    TenLaws Posts: 273
    Options
    Damn us Americans for not using the metric system like the rest of the world!

Okay, if 10k is 6.2 miles, then 5k is 3.1 miles, so 3.5k is between 2 and 2.5 miles...

OHHHHHH, okay. I got it!! Awesome NSV, lol.
  • kristofferbas
    kristofferbas Posts: 101 Member
    Options
    Thanks everybody! Yeah it's really strange how the way we see things change. Running a half marathon in may next year doesn't seem impossible at all for me, and if you would have told me that I would ever sign up for one a 6.5 months ago I would have laughed out loud :)

And TenLaws, 3.5 kilometers is about 2.17479917 miles :)

/k
  • tostes
    tostes Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    Congrats. That is a victory!
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!