20+ pounds in a a month = loose skin?

Options
I retain a lot of water and my doctor has finally helped me let go of all the water which was about a 10 pound weight loss and you can actually see a little difference in my body from it. But i’m also now trying to lose 2 pounds a week from fat. So if i do so, in 5 weeks i will be at a total of 20 pounds weight loss (including all the water weight) Will this fast loss make me has loose skin?? please help. Also anyone have any tips on how to avoid loose skin. When i had my baby, my stomach went almost INSTANTLY back to flat and i had no loose skin so does that say anything? (i have gained weight since having my baby)

Replies

• MichelleSilverleaf
    MichelleSilverleaf Posts: 2,028 Member
    edited February 2019
    Options
    Fast is not necessarily better, not just for the possibility of loose skin. Is 2lbs/week appropriate for you? Hard to say without knowing your stats.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,897 Member
    Options
    How much weight do you have to lose total? If only 20 more pounds, then 2 pounds per week creates too aggressive a deficit.
  • graciesparklesgrace
    Options
    jemhh wrote: »
    OP, your post history screams eating disorder. Please seek professional help.

why does it scream eating disorder?
  • kami3006
    kami3006 Posts: 4,978 Member
    Options
    kami3006 wrote: »
    I retain a lot of water and my doctor has finally helped me let go of all the water which was about a 10 pound weight loss and you can actually see a little difference in my body from it. But i’m also now trying to lose 2 pounds a week from fat. So if i do so, in 5 weeks i will be at a total of 20 pounds weight loss (including all the water weight) Will this fast loss make me has loose skin?? please help. Also anyone have any tips on how to avoid loose skin. When i had my baby, my stomach went almost INSTANTLY back to flat and i had no loose skin so does that say anything? (i have gained weight since having my baby)

my stats are, i’m currently 126 pounds and 5’6! i maintain this weight on 2500 calories. i want to eat 1500 calories a day which would have me at a 2 pound loss a week

At 5'6" and 126 lbs you don't have the body fat to support 2 pounds/week loss. You'll be eating into your muscle and other tissues. A half pound per week is appropriate and much more healthy.

I have a very high body fat percentage.

If that's true, then the last thing you want is to lose more muscle and make your body fat percentage even higher, right?

^ This is what will happen.
  • graciesparklesgrace
    Options
    kami3006 wrote: »

my stats are, i’m currently 126 pounds and 5’6! i maintain this weight on 2500 calories. i want to eat 1500 calories a day which would have me at a 2 pound loss a week

At 5'6" and 126 lbs you don't have the body fat to support 2 pounds/week loss. You'll be eating into your muscle and other tissues. A half pound per week is appropriate and much more healthy.

I have a very high body fat percentage.

If that's true, then the last thing you want is to lose more muscle and make your body fat percentage even higher, right?

right. but how would that happen?
  • MichelleSilverleaf
    MichelleSilverleaf Posts: 2,028 Member
    Options

You're already in a healthy weight range for your height. If you're unhappy with your shape, recomp is probably a better choice.
  • collectingblues
    collectingblues Posts: 2,541 Member
    Options

You barely have 10 pounds to safely lose. And you CERTAINLY don't have enough to sustain a two pound a week loss.

If you're not happy with your body at this size, you're better off going to recomp instead of striving to be at the number that is right on the edge of underweight.
  • hippiesaur
    hippiesaur Posts: 137 Member
    Options
    Losing weight is not the solution for your problem at this point. I'm 5'6 and I'm ~128 lbs, with approx 25-26% body fat by look, and I'm not satisfied with my shape at all, but I know that losing 10 pounds would be even worse than now. So I try to recomp at the moment, eating at maintenance and doing strength training. That would give you result in time, being very skinny won't make you happy at all. Look for help if you have body dysmorphia though.