Cheat Days!?

Options
Is it true that it's good to have a "cheat day" where people can eat whatever they want once a week? Why is this a good or bad idea?

Replies

• Phirrgus
    Phirrgus Posts: 1,894 Member
    Options
    I just try to make sure that what I'm eating fits into my daily goal. Yesterday was a good example. My mother treated the entire family to Chinese food and dessert. I had to guess portions, but chose the higher calorie options when searching the data base to be safe. Other days I'll have a candy bar or cookies...if I'm maintaining my deficit I'm good. If I bust my deficit now and then I just get back on track the next day and press on.
  • AprilMLowe
    AprilMLowe Posts: 447 Member
    Options
    I usually bank up calories and splurge on an occassion like tonite. I will be attending a SuperBowl party tonite so i will treat myself . i usually have extra exercise calories left over everyday! I try to fit in treats to my diary everyday so i dont binge eat. I hope that helps!
  • mom2kpr
    mom2kpr Posts: 348 Member
    Options
    I make it part of my weekly goals. My calorie goal for Sun - Thur is 1400. Fri & Sat is 1800.
  • Back_4_more
    Back_4_more Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    I also lowered my week calorie intake and have a cheat meal on Sunday. I lost my 1st 50lbs do it that way. It also gives me something to work towards.
  • Bry_Fitness70
    Bry_Fitness70 Posts: 2,480 Member
    Options
    Is it true that it's good to have a "cheat day" where people can eat whatever they want once a week? Why is this a good or bad idea?

I prefer to have a few "cheat" meals/snacks at different times throughout the week rather than go totally off the rails for an entire day. Besides, I generally have a lot to look forward to on a Saturday or Sunday, having a cheat meal on a workday can make otherwise drab days more tolerable.
  • witchaywoman81
    witchaywoman81 Posts: 280 Member
    Options
    If we were to vote on the most commonly asked questions in the forums, this one would surely be in the top 3.

That being said, I've been tracking diligently since December 31st, and I haven't felt the need for a "cheat day" yet. For me, they are counterproductive. But then again, I don't restrict myself in terms of what I can eat, only how much, so a cheat day doesn't appeal. I also don't restrict my calories so that I'm ravenous.

My advice:

- Pick a deficit you can live with and re-evaluate that decision regularly. Check the graphic below for more on this.
    - When you choose your way of eating for weight loss, make sure it's something you plan to stick with for the long haul. In other words, don't pick a special diet for losing weight and then go back to your old ways once you've lost weight. That's a recipe for trouble.
    - Think of your calories in terms of the week, rather than the day. By this I mean, you might have a base calorie goal of 1600 calories/day. You may choose to eat 2000 calories one day and go below 1600 on other days, which is perfectly ok to do.

dq1ymjcuh766.jpeg